Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    All-New Member

When I was younger the first comics I picked up were ones that had the coolest covers, so naturally I picked up Miller's Daredevil Man Without Fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Like many of my generation, I started off with sporadic issues of random Marvel series, acquired as an impulse item at the grocery store while in tow with mom. In fifth grade, my best friend made me aware of the whole concept of comic book collecting, introducing me to the boxes and bags he'd acquired at a recently discovered LCS. Shortly thereafter, I read Roger Stern's "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" story in ASM #230, and that made Spidey's adventures a monthly must-read for many years.
    The first part of your story sounds exactly like mine. I discovered my LCS at about the same age as you, also, though late 70's for me, so probably about 5 years before you. Uncanny X-Men #117-119 were among the first LCD purchases of mine, and had me hooked on those kooky mutants for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    The first part of your story sounds exactly like mine. I discovered my LCS at about the same age as you, also, though late 70's for me, so probably about 5 years before you. Uncanny X-Men #117-119 were among the first LCD purchases of mine, and had me hooked on those kooky mutants for quite a long time.
    Ditto that but even more roundabout in my case. I was a big batman fan as a kid (who wasn't?) but my love for the TV show didn't translate to the DC batman comics at the time (majority were not very good or kid friendly). By the early eighties all my friends were reading Daredevil & Uncanny X-Men so that's what I ended up reading. Luckily, they were having some classic runs at the time to justify my blind, follow-the-horde mentality.

My first comic owned was a treasury sized Star Wars (1977) which I read til it disintegrated.
    First comic read : treasury edition of Superman vs. The Flash from a friend who never forgave me for coloring in it. (I wouldn't forgive that either, lol)

first comics bought with own money: DD #199 and UXM #174. Just before key issues which fueled a hobby for a lifetime (not continuously though).

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Ditto that but even more roundabout in my case. I was a big batman fan as a kid (who wasn't?) but my love for the TV show didn't translate to the DC batman comics at the time (majority were not very good or kid friendly). By the early eighties all my friends were reading Daredevil & Uncanny X-Men so that's what I ended up reading. Luckily, they were having some classic runs at the time to justify my blind, follow-the-horde mentality.

My first comic owned was a treasury sized Star Wars (1977) which I read til it disintegrated.
    First comic read : treasury edition of Superman vs. The Flash from a friend who never forgave me for coloring in it. (I wouldn't forgive that either, lol)

first comics bought with own money: DD #199 and UXM #174. Just before key issues which fueled a hobby for a lifetime (not continuously though).
    I love those treasury size comics! Unfortunately my dad threw them out when I went away to college.
    My first UXM was #117. I was immediately hooked. I didn't get into DD until a little after Miller's run started, and I had heard all the fuss.

Fantastic Member

I started reading comics with the Age of Apocalypse and Maximum Carnage. It was a glorious time to be alive.

My Spider-Man reading continued through the Clone Sage (Love you, Ben Reilly!) and my X-Men reading only continued through X-Man, which I subscribed to.

I hopped off that train and started reading all of the Vertigo books. Got back into X-Men briefly for New X-Men with Grant Morrison.

All-New Member

My first Comics were early issues of Marvel's Star Wars, in the early 80's. I would read them, then make up my own stories while coloring in them.

First proper comic (not including 2000ad, although I should) was Hellblazer #3

Well, the first comics I read and the ones that really got me hooked on comics are a little different.

The first comics I ever read were Adventures of Superman (vol. 1) #468 and Flash (vol. 2) #41, both from 1990.

My grandmother bought them for me when I was ten, in 1992, just before we left for our vacation that year. The books are from 1990 so they must've been on the shelf a couple of years. But comics sitting on a news stand shelf that long wouldn't have been too uncommon in Tasmania back then.

300.jpg

200.jpg

So those were the first full color American super-hero comics I read.

But the comics that really got me hooked were the Chris Claremont/Jim Lee X-Men books from the 90's. I love that stuff.

comicnut034.jpg
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    First comics I read when I was 7 or 8 were Tintin and Asterix. I also read The Phantom strip in the newspaper every day for several years. What got me hooked on comics proper was reading Watchmen 5 years ago.
    Almost exactly the same for me..except my first ever exposure to comics was the J.M. DeMatteis run on Spider-Man in the 90s. Criminally underrated run (omnibus anyone?). I came into it at random issue and it was really fun trying to hunt down back issues to fill in the rest of the story blanks. After that, Tintin and Asterix..those books are just great.