View Poll Results: Which comic book story do you think is better?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • What If? #105

14 63.64%
  • Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1-5

8 36.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Throwdown: Renew Your Vows VS Spider-Girl's First Appearance

I'm curious which alternate future for Peter and MJ is more popular.

The question is just about what story you liked better: the Renew Your Vows mini-series, or What If? #105, which has reprinted as Spider-Girl #0.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

RYV for me and it's not close, much as I enjoyed What If #105.

BANNED

What If #105 utilized the marriage and Peter and MJ's daughter more effectively but it's a unfair comparison.

One was a Spider-Man story where he had a wife and daughter the other is a Mayday story where she is the daughter of Spider-man and MJ.

It's like comparing Flash Venom to Brock. they are just differey

BANNED

It's also comparing an entire miniseries to a single issue.

Tough choice. I have read little of Spider-Girl but I loved what I saw. Renew Your Vows is really good story as well.
    But as another user said it's an entire miniseries against a single issue. What If #105 started something great but just the issue alone might not be able to compete.

I preferred the The Incredibles-esque feel of RYV to Mayday's debut, so I voted for RYV despite enjoying both. Even if this just pitted RYV #1 against What If? #105, my vote would have gone to RYV #1, but it is close.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    What If #105 utilized the marriage and Peter and MJ's daughter more effectively but it's a unfair comparison.

One was a Spider-Man story where he had a wife and daughter the other is a Mayday story where she is the daughter of Spider-man and MJ.

It's like comparing Flash Venom to Brock. they are just differey
    The point of a comparison is to look at different things and figure out which is better.

Will the fruit of the year be an orange or an apple?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    It's also comparing an entire miniseries to a single issue.
    If you're figuring out your favorite comic book stories, some are going to be standalones and some are going to be TPB length.

A ranking of the best Spider-Man stories is going to include The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man and Amazing Fantasy #15 as well as Kraven's Last Hunt.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The point of a comparison is to look at different things and figure out which is better.

Will the fruit of the year be an orange or an apple?

If you're figuring out your favorite comic book stories, some are going to be standalones and some are going to be TPB length.

A ranking of the best Spider-Man stories is going to include The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man and Amazing Fantasy #15 as well as Kraven's Last Hunt.
    But the innate nature of the stories render it impossible to properly measure them against one another. They are inherently different.

At most you can discuss dialogue, art, pacing maybe how thematically they jive with the world of Spider-Man but they are still too different.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    But the innate nature of the stories render it impossible to properly measure them against one another. They are inherently different.

At most you can discuss dialogue, art, pacing maybe how thematically they jive with the world of Spider-Man but they are still too different.
    So what can't you discuss/compare, exactly?

-Pav, who doesn't care about "better" but does have more of an emotional connection to Mayday...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    So what can't you discuss/compare, exactly?
    Individual issues of RYV are better than the What If? story. But the middle issues of RYV stumble, and so May's introduction is a better whole story.

It also benefits from using Normie. Regent's just some villain, without even getting into how good or bad the character is in the story. Readers are already invested in the Parker/Osborn dynamic.

BANNED

May I give my two cents to the argument:

One was a great mini series showing of Peter and Mary Jane as parents. It had a bland villain, but fun character moments.

The other gave birth to what I call a legacy series. It continued the legacy of Spider-man, but through his daughter eyes. It had elements familiar to Spidey fans.

It had natural progression to the daughter as opposed to Annie quickly gaining her powers at a young age during the mini and not in her teenage years like normal kid super beings that aren't Franklin Richards or the Power Pack.

So it's so simple,who wins: What if ? 105 hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Individual issues of RYV are better than the What If? story. But the middle issues of RYV stumble, and so May's introduction is a better whole story.

It also benefits from using Normie. Regent's just some villain, without even getting into how good or bad the character is in the story. Readers are already invested in the Parker/Osborn dynamic.
    Well, you can compare the strength of each part of the story - beginning and middle and end - regardless of the length of each.

And you can definitely compare the villains; I mean, your point makes sense to me in favor of Mayday's origin issue.

-Pav, who liked RYV well enough...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

I haven't read RYV so I am biased in favor of What if? 105

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I honestly can't choose. I love them both with a passion. They each embody pretty much everything I love about Spider-Man.
    Last edited by David Walton; 07-06-2016 at 11:23 AM.

What If? #105 is still my favorite.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."