Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Superman: The Coming of the Supermen, #1

Neal Adams returns to the Man of Steel in "Superman: The Coming of the Supermen" #1, but his wonderful layouts are offset by a story that feels dated.

Full review here.

I got a Rudy-Spears Superman vibe from this, when I saw fat Luthor I immediately started teading him in the Luthor booce from that Cartoon.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Not my cup of tea.

I liked it. It had a very retro feel to it, and it also felt a lot more like classic Superman than anything DC has published in a long time.

This was a great story. Any fan of classic books would love this. I enjoy a book that is just its own creative book. No worry about continuity or other books. Just its own story contained in its own way. I wish dc would do more of this. Love it and will buy more!

Incredible Member

Not liking the artwork.

Neal sure knows how to draw the hottest-looking Lois! (I agree the rest of the art was rather off)

Interesting to see this seems to be set in some Pre-Crisis Earth-1 derivation(albeit one where Lex evolved into his Post-Crisis corporate persona) in the present-day.
    #ILOVEYOU3000

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I loved Neal Adams art in the 1970s on Batman, and on Spectre before, and on that run he did on Avengers...his style was clean, and precise, not sure how to properly describe, but looking at his work in recent times and on this Superman book it's all a bit curly and wavy and a bit more "cartoony" than I see his earlier work....

I find the same with recent work of another of my fave artists, John Byrne.....

Jon

Incredible Member

If they used Adams' superman and a redesign for rebirth, I'd be OK with that....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    If they used Adams' superman and a redesign for rebirth, I'd be OK with that....
    it is a pretty good design

the story is very weird and crazy.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Man, getting a co-writer was as bad an idea as I thought. Not that this wasn't still pretty entertaining, but way too subdued by the high standards Adams had already set. Which makes me baffled that DC went with this - people who loved Odyssey (like me) won't find this as entertaining, while people who hated Odyssey (like bad, wrong people) won't like this any more than that. Though the last page was killer, and makes me hope that not only might this get way crazier, but maybe we're building up to a connection with Odyssey and a whole Neal Adams Acid-Trip DC Continuity. (Earth 25?)
    Buh-bye

It definitely had a fun old school vibe. I just wish that Neal would go with the thicker/darker shading like he used to. I'm not a fan of just drawing a few lines to represent shadow. But it is cool to see Superman helping people throughout the world.

Didn't like the ending. Having Darkseid's father being worshipped like an Egyptian god is way to similar to Apocalypse. One, Yuga Khan is Darkseid's father and two, Darkseid is the original evil cosmic god-being. He shouldn't be used to emulate characters he inspired.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Man, getting a co-writer was as bad an idea as I thought. Not that this wasn't still pretty entertaining, but way too subdued by the high standards Adams had already set. Which makes me baffled that DC went with this - people who loved Odyssey (like me) won't find this as entertaining, while people who hated Odyssey (like bad, wrong people) won't like this any more than that. Though the last page was killer, and makes me hope that not only might this get way crazier, but maybe we're building up to a connection with Odyssey and a whole Neal Adams Acid-Trip DC Continuity. (Earth 25?)
    Yeah, I agree completely.

I hope this book becomes a Neal Adams induced acid trip, I adored ODYSSEY. As it stands here, it was kind of boring.

I enjoyed it enough to pick up the next issue but I couldn't get through BATMAN ODYSSEY so I think I'll hold off on adding it to my pull list until I've at least sampled an issue or two more. It's great to see the more or less classic New Gods back in action though--well, Kalibak, anyway. Have to admit Adams' use of the New Gods is the main attraction of this series for me.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Definitely felt like some story they just happened to forget to publish in the 70's, which if you like that kinda story (like myself) is a good thing or a very bad thing if that isn't your cup of tea.