Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Might be alright: Pre-flashpoint out of retirement

Lol so right off the bad this is super strange coming from me given my apathy for Pre-flashpoint Superman.

Well it seems like (unconfined as far as I know) Pre-Flash is going to be the "new" Superman for the foreseeable future. The way they're framing it so far is actually something I can get behind in theory.

The idea of this guy who has, after 7 years, made a pretty livable situation for himself and his family. But now the call to action (ha) must force him to show his face and possibly put his family in danger. He's just this dude trying to protect his little slice of life while wrestling with the idea of putting the real suit back on. I'm gonna be honest with you that sounds pretty compelling to me if done right. And also his kid wants to get into the family business and his wife is a very outspoken truth seeker, and here this guy is just trying to keep it all together.

They play up (WAY UP) the family dynamic that can come at odds with the heroics and I think you've got something great on your hands. What's a guy willing to do to protect his family? Is he Superman first, or dad/husband first? These are real questions he's gotta ask himself every time he goes out there or comes home to a sleeping family.

Play with that and you've got me for at least part way. I'll give Dan Jurgens the benefit of the doubt for now.

So I'll give it a shot. How bout you?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

My dad's certainly interested; it's definitely 'his' Superman, and he raised some good points that there's room to do interesting stuff in terms of the supporting cast, his relationship with the other heroes, and the idea of capital-c Classic Superman trying to figure out how to be that in a world as different as what he's found himself in. I imagine I'll be picking these up for him anyway, and I have to admit, I'm curious at this point. It's something weird and wild enough that, while I'm sure it'll be boring at best in the long run, and it's clearly only a stopgap measure, there might be some interesting stuff in the meantime.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

I'll be getting all the Super books. They'd have to be really bad for me to drop them, and I mean really bad because I'm still sticking with Lois & Clark.

Fantastic Member

I'll be dropping all books, like I've said in the solicitations thread.

The fact that they're so lazy in writing good stories, that they can't even make a decent supporting cast, can't properly evolve the new Superman - actually shoving him aside/killing him, then have the old Superman hijack all of the titles, bringing back his old supporting cast..

There is nothing NEW here. This is not world BUILDING. This is not CHARACTER building. This is taking shortcuts, this is bad writing, this is a full force punch in the face for anybody that was invested in New 52 Superman.

As far as I'm concerned, they can take any number of backwards steps they want.

I'm going forward. The final straw.

The Superman line is entirely dropped, and I don't even care how this plays out.

I'll give them the same treatment they gave the New 52 Superman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    I'll be dropping all books, like I've said in the solicitations thread.

The fact that they're so lazy in writing good stories, that they can't even make a decent supporting cast, can't properly evolve the new Superman - actually shoving him aside/killing him, then have the old Superman hijack all of the titles, bringing back his old supporting cast..

There is nothing NEW here. This is not world BUILDING. This is not CHARACTER building. This is taking shortcuts, this is bad writing, this is a full force punch in the face for anybody that was invested in New 52 Superman.

As far as I'm concerned, they can take any number of backwards steps they want.

I'm going forward. The final straw.

The Superman line is entirely dropped, and I don't even care how this plays out.

I'll give them the same treatment they gave the New 52 Superman
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    My dad's certainly interested; it's definitely 'his' Superman, and he raised some good points that there's room to do interesting stuff in terms of the supporting cast, his relationship with the other heroes, and the idea of capital-c Classic Superman trying to figure out how to be that in a world as different as what he's found himself in. I imagine I'll be picking these up for him anyway, and I have to admit, I'm curious at this point. It's something weird and wild enough that, while I'm sure it'll be boring at best in the long run, and it's clearly only a stopgap measure, there might be some interesting stuff in the meantime.
    Yeah man, this dude is not really my guy at all. I'm always happy to Papa Truth happy lol There are some genuinely interesting thing you could do with this idea as you've pointed out, and that's what I'm banking on. I just can't belive the fate of my continued reading of Superman comics rest in the hands of Jurgens and Tomasi of all people. We live in very strange times lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    I'll be getting all the Super books. They'd have to be really bad for me to drop them, and I mean really bad because I'm still sticking with Lois & Clark.
    Jurgens writing in Lois and Clark makes it physically hard for me to finish the book month to month sometimes. I mean that's just not how a got damn 10 year old talks lol

But I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't think the set up was cool. A lot of people were mad at the idea that Pre-Flash Clark didn't help during the big stuff, but in my mind I'm like "hell yeah he didn't help, are you crazy?!" I mean the guy retired and started a legit family. At the time he was worried about then first and foremost, and god help me that's understandable as hell. It was out of the kindness of his heart and that "you're never really out" idea that kept him putting on a suit and doing a little something when he could.

So if the idea is that he's not basically the only guy who can take the job now and he's got to look out for his family, I can get behind that. But mother of god it's all in how they stick the landing on this thing!

I'll be buying the books for the first time since New 52 started.

re-shoeing the old horse becoz new horse cant cut it?? tsk tsk

Wait, seriously? Why is nobody is making a big deal out of this, when it is, as far as I'm concerned, the biggest deal in the world of Superman? Two-hundred-fifty-million dollar blockbuster be damned. Superman being replaced by his boring, unworthy predecessor was literally my worst-case-scenario for Rebirth. All I can find on it is less than half a paragraph on ComicsAlliance, a very short description on the Superman Homepage and an hour-and-a-half long video on DC's site that might contain the information if I was willing to watch it!

Why aren't people talking about this on the big blogs and the subreddits and everything? This is a big deal whether people prefer the pre or post Flashpoint Superman!

I've heard speculation in the comments section of the Superman Homepage that "Clark" will be manning Action Comics and that the man I've come to think of as "Kal" over the last five years will be manning Superman.

If that's the case, I will be reading Superman and not Action. I hope that Clark's track record improves from how it was in Lois and Clark now that he's got a legacy to uphold, but more importantly I hope that Kal doesn't wind up getting Connor Hawke'd, because he is quite seriously my favorite Superman.

Augh, why couldn't they have brought back the Bronze Age instead?

I just wanna stress that it's not yet confirmed. But Pre-Flashpoint is in both the solicitations for Superman Rebirth and Superman (and cover). And it's confirmed that he is the Superman for Action Comics, so it's a pretty big possibility.

Plus Superman Rebirth says "The world needs a Man of Steel, but can Superman protect the world while raising a super-son with his wife, Lois Lane?
    IT BEGINS: Now it’s Clark’s turn to be Pa Kent and teach his son what it means to be super, but who is hunting Superman’s son—and why?"

Why would the world need Superman if New 52 were still on the job? Why is Lex proclaiming himself the new Superman?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-28-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Well, after their Batman and Robin run and Gleason's work on Robin: Son of Batman, Tomasi and Gleason on a Superfamily book, which is what the solicits sound like they're going for with the main Superman title, could be really awesome .

But why Jurgens?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    But why Jurgens?
    He's fast.

With the Superman books shipping twice a month, they need writers that can churn out scripts.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    But why Jurgens?
    Because Berganza and because DC doesn't care about Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    He's fast.

With the Superman books shipping twice a month, they need writers that can churn out scripts.
    Out of polish script, right? Why nor have a co-writer?