Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    For example, I only buy digital and have no contact with my LCS. That kind of performance was inconclusive to me as far as sales go, especially considering it wasn't a genuine effort from DC to do a Lois Lane series one shot that could legitimately serve as a "pilot" (like TV show pilots) for a book of her own.
    Is this the book that you're referring to?

supermanloislane#1.jpg

Haven't bought digital.
    Would like to try purchasing a digital book, is this still available?
    I do like the cover art.
    Last edited by Lois; 06-27-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois View Post
    Is this the book that you're referring to?
    Yep, that's the one!

Haven't bought digital.
    Would like to try purchasing a digital book, is this still available?
    I do like the cover art.
    It's still available. You can purchase it through DC's digital store here or the digital comics site Comixology here.

Another tidbit that may have impacted print sales of the one shot was simply the process of how sales are recorded. I'm a bit a of newbie, so I could be mistaken about this, but I believe the sales numbers are based on orders comic books shops place either based on their own guesses of interest or pre-orders. From what I've observed, shops under ordered the book, as several Lois fans I know were unable to even purchase a copy at their LCS since it had sold out.

Yep, that's the one!

It's still available. You can purchase it through DC's digital store here or the digital comics site Comixology here.

Another tidbit that may have impacted print sales of the one shot was simply the process of how sales are recorded. I'm a bit a of newbie, so I could be mistaken about this, but I believe the sales numbers are based on orders comic books shops place either based on their own guesses of interest or pre-orders. From what I've observed, shops under ordered the book, as several Lois fans I know were unable to even purchase a copy at their LCS since it had sold out.
    Thank You!
    Will try the LCS in my area. I live in Canada.
    A friend of mine owns a comic book shop in Toronto and knows I'm an avid Superman and Lois Lane fan.
    Sometimes he keeps an extra comic book aside if he knows I'm going to be interested in it. Not always guaranteed though.
    Will try DC's digital store or the Comixology if he doesn't have the book.

BANNED

Yep, that's the one!

It's weird that it didn't got a 2nd printing, like Cowl sold out at the distributor (not the lcs level) and Image will do a second printing.

the problem with lois is coming from a weak superman run, with even weaker character development. and little to nothing marketing

Incredible Member

In today's edition of the Superman Homepage, in the latest column of Ask Eddie, (which I would reprint here if I knew how) I asked Eddie what was going on with the Lois Lane solo book, which placed at 100 f the top 300 for that month. He said there were no plans for a mini or monthly book at this time, but after Domed ends, if there is interest fro the readers they will consider doing more. But if thre is one that will come out, it will definitely be on my drop list!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    In today's edition of the Superman Homepage, in the latest column of Ask Eddie, (which I would reprint here if I knew how) I asked Eddie what was going on with the Lois Lane solo book, which placed at 100 f the top 300 for that month. He said there were no plans for a mini or monthly book at this time, but after Domed ends, if there is interest fro the readers they will consider doing more. But if thre is one that will come out, it will definitely be on my drop list!
    After Doomed? well by bye Lois solo book. Unless she do something heroic on it

I'm cool with just seeing Lois with more of a role in the Superman-proper books. If you're going to do an off-shoot title, it should be a solo for her, a team title is rather superfluous once she starts appearing more in the main books (which we all know is only a matter of time).

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Like I said, Johns didn't start Justice League with heavy hints SM/WW would eventually be a couple, so a first issue that doesn't feature a whole lot of Lois is hardly proof of anything. You can't just go from nearly 0 to 100 in just one issue. Big changes require groundwork.
    Yes, and the book didn't become the Superman/Wonder Woman show.
    And yes, big changes require groundwork. So let's look at the ground work we have:
    -Jimmy Olsen has a subplot (the thing with his parents).
    -Perry White has a subplot (trying to get Clark back to the Planet).
    -Lois Lane has a one panel cameo and a mention.
    I don't know, I kinda assume that, if Johns was going to have Lois as a fundamental part of the book, he would have established a subplot for her at least among the line of these two. As it stands now, her only contribution is to ask for the addition in a bar.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yes, and the book didn't become the Superman/Wonder Woman show.
    It kind of did at the beginning of the relationship. The relationship was even a central plot point in last summer's big event, Trinity War. Yet, there were few, if any, clues Johns was eventually going to write SM/WW when his Justice League was first launched.

And yes, big changes require groundwork. So let's look at the ground work we have:
    -Jimmy Olsen has a subplot (the thing with his parents).
    -Perry White has a subplot (trying to get Clark back to the Planet).
    -Lois Lane has a one panel cameo and a mention.
    I don't know, I kinda assume that, if Johns was going to have Lois as a fundamental part of the book, he would have established a subplot for her at least among the line of these two. As it stands now, her only contribution is to ask for the addition in a bar.
    You're forgetting the central theme introduced in the issue: Clark's isolation and his need to connect more. Clark's relationship (or lack thereof) with Lois was specifically singled out by Perry as an example of a missed opportunity. It's kind of strange to assume that just because Lois wasn't a key player in the issue that the story Johns clearly set out to tell does not eventually require her more. The editor of DC's Superman books, in addition to Johns himself (source), is even saying that Lois will play an important role in Superman. Do you suppose you might be rushing to judgment on the basis of very little evidence?
    Last edited by misslane; 06-28-2014 at 02:03 AM.

In response to this thread's question:

Man, I haven't done this in a long while. Thanks OP.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

It kind of did at the beginning of the relationship. The relationship was even a central plot point in last summer's big event, Trinity War. Yet, there were few, if any, clues Johns was eventually going to write SM/WW when his Justice League was first launched.

You're forgetting the central theme introduced in the issue: Clark's isolation and his need to connect more. Clark's relationship (or lack thereof) with Lois was specifically singled out by Perry as an example of a missed opportunity. It's kind of strange to assume that just because Lois wasn't a key player in the issue that the story Johns clearly set out to tell does not eventually require her more. The editor of DC's Superman books, in addition to Johns himself (source), is even saying that Lois will play an important role in Superman. Do you suppose you might be rushing to judgment on the basis of very little evidence?
    -It really didn't. Their relationship was one subplot among many others and never took over the book. Hell, Superman isn't even on the Justice League right now. Even if Lois gets her own storyline (which is fairly likely), it will most likely be one subplot among many others, not her becoming the co protagonist.

-I didn't forget, but I also noticed the brand new character with a suspiciously similar backstory to Superman oviously designed to be that guy Superman will connect with. Don't you think it's "kind of strange" that, just as an emphasis on his loneliness is made, this guy just shows up out of nowhere "hey, I totally lived through what you did live through,man". I don't know, it's almost as if Johns was planning them to bond over their similar backstory or something.
    Also, The whole Johns tweet thing? PR talk.Hardly counts as evidence. Plus, "huge" is a very subjective term.
    So, nope, I'm not rushing into judgement. Hell, ultimately, the only judgement I made was that "one panel worth of appearance" isn't exactly "shaping up to have her as an important element in the book". So, even if it did happen, I wouldn't even be wrong. That's how unrushed I am.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would rather see a Lois Lane series on her own. It leaves plenty of room to have Clark/Superman in it but not necessarily all the time and it wouldn't necessarily push them towards the are they/aren't they relationship that would inevitably happen, yet would allow us to see Lois' thoughts on him from time to time. It would also open up the possibilities of other characters showing up or allowing Lois to change locals such as working on a story involving Wonder Woman or having to go to Gotham and running into Batman or Batwoman. Then traveling over to Central City and end up working with Barry Allen on a story or some such.
    Plus a book focusing on Lois would also allow us to possibly see more of the Daily Planet cast...maybe it needs to be a Lois and Jimmy book.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    -It really didn't. Their relationship was one subplot among many others and never took over the book. Hell, Superman isn't even on the Justice League right now. Even if Lois gets her own storyline (which is fairly likely), it will most likely be one subplot among many others, not her becoming the co protagonist.
    When the relationship first started up in Justice League, it was the most prominent subplot and became a critical element in a summer event series.

-I didn't forget, but I also noticed the brand new character with a suspiciously similar backstory to Superman oviously designed to be that guy Superman will connect with. Don't you think it's "kind of strange" that, just as an emphasis on his loneliness is made, this guy just shows up out of nowhere "hey, I totally lived through what you did live through,man". I don't know, it's almost as if Johns was planning them to bond over their similar backstory or something.
    Yes, the set up for Ulysses was obvious, but it is equally obvious that his purpose is juxtaposed with Perry's remarks in the issue with regards to seeking out connections with others. Ulysses is not going to be around forever. He will serve his purpose and move on. His purpose, I believe, is to facilitate Clark's reconnection with the important people in his life that he's pushed away.

Also, The whole Johns tweet thing? PR talk.Hardly counts as evidence. Plus, "huge" is a very subjective term.
    It's certainly quite a bit more convincing than making wholesale judgments based off of panel counts in one issue.

So, nope, I'm not rushing into judgement. Hell, ultimately, the only judgement I made was that "one panel worth of appearance" isn't exactly "shaping up to have her as an important element in the book". So, even if it did happen, I wouldn't even be wrong. That's how unrushed I am.
    I'm not sure exactly how you wouldn't have been proven wrong in your initial assumption that one panel's worth of introduction was indicative of Lois' limited role in Superman if she ultimately plays the huge role both Johns and Berganza promised.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    Good to know.
    IMHO there is definitely going be interest from the readers like myself and other Superman fans and Lois Lane fans too of course.
    And no, I'm not speaking for all Superman fans, but, a lot do like the pairing of Lois Lane and Superman.

BANNED

I'd love to read a Lois and Clark comic. And it would be better if they had a kid with them.