Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend Hashtag Pleads for Cap-Bucky Romance

The hashtag is exploding on twitter as fans express their desire for a relationship between Cap and his former sidekick.

Full article here.

BANNED

Alright, let's get the flame war out of the way:

If you support it, you're a SJW ultra-PC liberal who hates America and loves radical Islam.

If you're against it, you're homophobic White Power Neo Nazi who eats kittens.

That just about cover everybody?

I'm sure there's more than enough fan fic to facilitate this need for anyone who wants it.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Alright, let's get the flame war out of the way:

If you support it, you're a SJW ultra-PC liberal who hates America and loves radical Islam.

If you're against it, you're homophobic White Power Neo Nazi who eats kittens.

That just about cover everybody?
    You forgot the Tumblr lot. Stucky and Stony are their life blood ships.

I wish people could realize that platonic friendships are a thing, but shippers want everything to be drenched in romantic subtext. Annoying and juvenile, in my extremely gay opinion.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Why can't two unrelated guys be best friends? Why must it always devolve into romance?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by prigmutton View Post
    I wish people could realize that platonic friendships are a thing, but shippers want everything to be drenched in romantic subtext. Annoying and juvenile, in my extremely gay opinion.
    Which is why they invented words like girl crush and bromance. Two words I'd never describe a relationship between two people unless they're gay.

Amazing Member

Possibly the dumbest notion/idea I've seen since the Batman v Superman movie. Dumb.

Why does everything today need to be retconned so that an established character becomes gay and/or becomes black (when he/she was white before). I've enjoyed these characters for years and changing them is nothing more than an attempt at hype/cash grab. It's sad.

I have no issues with different cultures and homosexuality. My issue is when you change beloved characters for the sake of change. Create/add new characters if you want them to be something else - otherwise, these characters are all of a sudden...out of character

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    I'm sure there's more than enough fan fic to facilitate this need for anyone who wants it.
    but but but people want their fan fic to be canon
    Marvel owes them a living you know

and how is this news?
    a small minority of people (and bots) spamming a hashtag with little more than their imagination to run on, suddenly makes it relevant?
    face palm
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

This site just lost a little of my respect by reporting on this nonsense.

I'm all for diverse characters in all shapes, sizes, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations, but I'm 100% against changing existing characters to suit those needs. I'm even more against it when radical individuals try to shove their version of the character down my throat like many of the people participating in the hashtag are doing. Many who I question even really know anything about the character outside of the films. I respect your choices and that you deserve representation in all mediums but stop trying to steal characters that never fit into your category. You want a gay/bisexual Captain America? By all means sure let's get one, but you want Steve Rogers to become gay/bisexual when there was no presidence for it in the 75 years of his existence? Hell no. Stick to your fan fiction and rule 34 if that's the case.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Why can't two unrelated guys be best friends? Why must it always devolve into romance?
    I know what you mean. I think it is because today's society is hyper-sexualized.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Was this made by the same people that want to give Elsa a girlfriend?

But yea, this is just silly. Nothing wrong with diverse characters mind you. But no need to change an existing character sexuality.

And as said we already have fan fiction on that.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I'm fine with shipping but to me this is just ridiculous, they are both male and straight and not in a romantic relationship just because Steve and Bucky have a great brotherly relationship does not mean they are gay (not against homosexuality by the way). I don't know why Tumblr love and obseess by changing fictional character's sexuality too much. You've got fan-fiction and deviantart use it.
    Last edited by Incognito; 05-24-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Mighty Member

Fans demand it? I think most fans will be super upset. Not because there can't or shouldn't be a gay Captain America. And not because there can't or shouldn't be a gay superhero leading his book/movie. But it's just not Steve Rogers... And yes technically anyone can be gay, but that does not automatically mean everyone is

BANNED

There is Such a thing as bromance.. Shouldn't that be enough ?

I mean it's just a long term FRIENDSHIP AND NOTHING MORE.

The thoughts that go through people heads these days.