Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Default DC Universe Rebirth #1 Discussion (SPOILERS)

For any other comic fans that happen to be up for the early release at ComiXology and other readers that get their grubby mitts on the book through out the day here we go. A thread to talk about DC's Rebirth and kick off cool discussions and thoughts. You are now hooked on thread thread, right?

The very first story panel with the watch, when I read the time I got the point and it was reinforced by the monologue as every second ticked by. It's finally brought home with the end issue panels as well. This was a nice story telling touch.

After reading this book I think Geoff Johns was honest. It reads like he loved what he was doing. It is a pretty good yarn that leaves me yearning for completion right now but this looks like it is going to play out across a lot of titles for a while. It does a good job of setting up the rebirth event spinning a time altering tale of mystery to be unraveled with an actual out of time stream enemy to fight.

This comic touched on a personal issue with me and that's the number of legacy bearing heroes in DC. They are everywhere. What the writer did here in part was explain the value of them in storytelling as a defining trait for DC comics as a whole and help newer readers come to grips with the idea in a workable fashion.

The art is well done but I still want to describe it as heroic rather than superheroic if that makes sense. It's not a criticism just me looking for a defining style description and having no inner artist of merit to bell cow me toward the right terms.

We end up touching on a lot of characters as Wally (original) wanders the speed force looking for a way to fight back. I thought Wally was going to die a second time here but thankfully Barry saved him.

Bits and pieces:

Jonny Thunder… Bringing back the JSA sometime soon. I am really hating rest homes and mental asylums in comics now though.

We have Doctor Fate, the original no less with Ted Kord and he defines the scarab in Reyes as a magical artifact. And Ted's boggle eyed, goggle eyed, look of disbelief is perfectly drawn with a cool little smirk. Kind of an awesome thing that.

I really hated the dean threatening Choi with deportation.

Who is Mister Oz? That didn't look like a Watchmen character.

I like bearded Superman more than clean cut.

Interesting look for Martian Manhunter with the arm spikes and what I want to call coliseum harness and loin cloth with pants and cape.

Why was I happy when Pandora got poofed de poofied?

I liked the omen from Batman finding the Comedian pin button for what is coming.

So what are you thinking after reading and what stuck out? Ie your thoughts on the issue. Share! Share! What you want Err… I need a beer. See you in a while.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I wonder who the "other" is in the Speed Force that Wally senses. Bart? Max? Real Jay?

I like that nuWally and Wally are cousins. Rudy is still Wally's dad and Daniel is NuWally's. I was expecting Wally to become Iris' brother like the show, which could still happen after Rebirth, I guess. And thankfully, one of Johns' lines to the reader is explicitly that Wally is never going to be Kid Flash again.

And if the JSA is returning, how much of pre-Flashpoint JSA history happened? Seems like Johnny never merged with the Thunderbolt now. Maybe Jakeem is his great-grandson he speaks of who believes him now.

It feels like New 52 Earth-2 will remain as is more or less, so I'm guessing a returned JSA refers to an older generation of mystery men that existed on Earth-0/Prime Earth. This way E-1 and E-2 can pretty much be a split of JL and JS only duplicates.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post

Who is Mister Oz? That didn't look like a Watchmen character.
    Ozymandius
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 05-25-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    I wonder who the "other" is in the Speed Force that Wally senses. Bart? Max? Real Jay?

I like that nuWally and Wally are cousins. Rudy is still Wally's dad and Daniel is NuWally's. I was expecting Wally to become Iris' brother like the show, which could still happen after Rebirth, I guess. And thankfully, one of Johns' lines to the reader is explicitly that Wally is never going to be Kid Flash again.

And if the JSA is returning, how much of pre-Flashpoint JSA history happened? Seems like Johnny never merged with the Thunderbolt now. Maybe Jakeem is his great-grandson he speaks of who believes him now.

It feels like New 52 Earth-2 will remain as is more or less, so I'm guessing a returned JSA refers to an older generation of mystery men that existed on Earth-0/Prime Earth. This way E-1 and E-2 can pretty much be a split of JL and JS only duplicates.
    With the nature of the conflict to come described, I actually wondered if the other in the speed force might be Thawne (Reverse Flash)?
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Johns has created what seems to be a very nice blue print for how the DCU should proceed in the coming months. Rebirth is gorgeous from the first to final panel. The moment between Barry and Wally is heartbreaking. Also loved the little nods to the JSA and Legion. I was a little worried about Watchmen being referenced in anything outside of its own graphic novel but even that is tastefully done.

Astonishing Member

The most enjoyable parts were the one which are completely disconnected from the whole Watchmen/retcon thing. That is, the JSA, the Blue Beetle, etc. Nice foreshadowing for future stories, but it is in no way different from what Johns has already done in a lot of other occasions.

The parts which are most related to the New52 - that is, SuperDad, Aquaman, and the whole Wally West journey were hammy as hell. "Every second is a gift" is the new "All be will well". These parts can be vaguely interesting from a nerd-ish point of view, but they are just desperate efforts to make sense of the overcomplicated mess the New52 has become. And Jeez, Johns must have a pretty low opinion of his readers for making his dialogues so terribly expository that even a 10-year old could find them unnatural.

The Watchmen parts are bad. I mean, really, really bad. I can't even imagine a worse misrepresentation of Watchmen than this one. Instead of making DCU interesting and complex, Johns dumbed Watchmen down, making it silly and shallow.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

All-New Member

Really enjoyed it. Fantastic comic. I'm actually liking Manhatton as an enemy.

I didn't mind the exposition, either. It reinforced what was -true-, which had been thrown into doubt by the New 52. Moreover, there are still readers who came in after the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    The most enjoyable parts were the one which are completely disconnected from the whole Watchmen/retcon thing. That is, the JSA, the Blue Beetle, etc. Nice foreshadowing for future stories, but it is in no way different from what Johns has already done in a lot of other occasions.

The parts which are most related to the New52 - that is, SuperDad, Aquaman, and the whole Wally West journey were hammy as hell. "Every second is a gift" is the new "All be will well". These parts can be vaguely interesting from a nerd-ish point of view, but they are just desperate efforts to make sense of the overcomplicated mess the New52 has become. And Jeez, Johns must have a pretty low opinion of his readers for making his dialogues so terribly expository that even a 10-year old could find them unnatural.

The Watchmen parts are bad. I mean, really, really bad. I can't even imagine a worse misrepresentation of Watchmen than this one. Instead of making DCU interesting and complex, Johns dumbed Watchmen down, making it silly and shallow.
    I came into this with fresher eyes than most. I was only reading one or two loosely connected DC titles like Deathstroke at the moment (and I don't know how I feel about him on the hero cover panel lol.) So to me the "hammy" read more like classic DC soap opera and the dialogue like something out of an episode of the Flash on TV as I didn't find the hopeful longing childish (just brighter than typical gritty grimdark.) I didn't feel the Watchmen were dumbed down as a concept yet as not enough has been revealed. They were barely touched upon here and I want to see how it plays out before making that leap. I know the Watchmen series is a classic and touching it dangerous as a result of the reverence many feel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    I came into this with fresher eyes than most. I was only reading one or two loosely connected DC titles like Deathstroke at the moment (and I don't know how I feel about him on the hero cover panel lol.) So to me the "hammy" read more like classic DC soap opera and the dialogue like something out of an episode of the Flash on TV as I didn't find the hopeful longing childish (just brighter than typical gritty grimdark.) I didn't feel the Watchmen were dumbed down as a concept yet as not enough has been revealed. They were barely touched upon here and I want to see how it plays out before making that leap. I know the Watchmen series is a classic and touching it dangerous as a result of the reverence many feel.
    Apart from the fact that having the Watchmen characters in the DCU is disrespectful towards the original story per se, the whole series of vs (hope vs apathy, etc) was what made me cringe the most.
    And the killing of Pandora. I don't care about Pandora at all, but making Dr Manhattan a serial killer who constantly replicates the Rorschach murder spoilers:
    (three times in a row, this week),
    end of spoilers is just a banalization of the original scene.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

You make it sound like you're not looking forward to seeing Doctor Manhattan making more people explode.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    You make it sound like you're not looking forward to seeing Doctor Manhattan making more people explode.
    It's just that I miss Superboy-Prime randomly ripping arms off. But hey, maybe Dr Manhattan will be the new Superboy-Prime. Hooray.

BANNED

It's just that I miss Superboy-Prime randomly ripping arms off. But hey, maybe Dr Manhattan will be the new Superboy-Prime. Hooray.
    Now we can finally know for sure if Superman can take Doctor Manhattan in a fight. This is what Watchmen was building up to.

Alan Moore would be proud.

BANNED

Outside of joking around, I thought the issue was good.

It didn't wow me, but there were some nice developments and it has me interested for what's coming next.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Now we can finally know for sure if Superman can take Doctor Manhattan in a fight. This is what Watchmen was building up to.

Alan Moore would be proud.
    Superman will destroy Dr Manhattan with the power of love, hope and simplistic morality!

BANNED

Superman will destroy Dr Manhattan with the power of love, hope and simplistic morality!
    But not before Batman outsmarts him.

If nothing else, after reading you right now, I am glad I took a break to come back to read this with fresh eyes and was capable of enjoying it. Man, some of you are so very jaded and cynical. I can't blame you with the way comics fans and buyers have been treated in recent years but still... Have a beer, and let it be fun.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 05-25-2016 at 03:14 AM.