Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    penetrator of things

I cried a bit
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Thread title has a SPOILERS warning in it for a reason. Any one reading has no reason to complain if they are spoiled. So don't hesitate to open up. It's a thread for people that have read the comic to talk it all over without worry or for those that or just want to know.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticNyx View Post
    spoilers:
    Three times? I know this one, but where were the other two?
    end of spoilers
    In spoilers:
    JL 50 he kills two characters
    end of spoilers.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

Having read it:
    -Not sold on the Watchmen involvement... it just seems really random
    -Pandora's demise is both unnessesary, like completely, her death serves no purpose other than being someone's punching bag. Not to mention, according to the curse she was under, she shouldn't even be able to die.
    -Wally has a really weird priority list when trying to find his way home, like Barry and Linda are among the last he tries with even if those two are supposed to be the people he has the strongest connection to.

Always Rakzo

Well, this was exactly what I was expecting. I huge love letter from Johns to the DCU, particularly Wally West.

And that's reason enough for me to love it.

Johns' insistence to bring back legacy has finally been listened and I'm glad it did, this brings a lot of promise for the future.

I have some complaints about it though. Remember when someone once said that Pandora was going to be "The most important person in the DCU"? What a pathetic ending for someone who used to be called that.

Also, I'm not sure about the Watchmen characters being introduced to the main DCU, especially considering the role that Doctor Manhattan is apparently playing but eh, is not the first time that DC wants to exploit the property.

Alan Moore will be mad though... which won't be unusual anyway.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Having read it:
    -Not sold on the Watchmen involvement... it just seems really random
    -Pandora's demise is both unnessesary, like completely, her death serves no purpose other than being someone's punching bag. Not to mention, according to the curse she was under, she shouldn't even be able to die.
    -Wally has a really weird priority list when trying to find his way home, like Barry and Linda are among the last he tries with even if those two are supposed to be the people he has the strongest connection to.
    Pandora's death signifies the death of the New 52. Not all of the continuity obviously, but it was symbolic. It's not clear Wally has total control of where he is going

I know almost nothing about DC, but I was curious enough to give this a look, and I did find it affecting. The comic has been sprayed with an atomizer of Nostalgia in more ways than one. A few moments stand out to suggest this "legacy" reclamation is more than just tying older continuity back in. The meta-text suggests Johns is trying to save DC from the darkness that fell upon superhero comics. (I do hope so, because that would suggest he agrees with me.)

But the questions start to form, and firstly why Watchmen? Is this a commentary on the moment comics started to go wrong? Is there a hint here that Clark is not who he thinks he is, but instead is the Superman from Moore's "Whatever Happened..."?

Have DC finally learnt the lesson that these are stories of wonder, imagination, and above all optimism? Of course the emphasis on untangling continuity issues would suggest they still haven't quite got it, but just perhaps they are taking a few steps out of the darkness. Wally's narration evokes a lost era of optimism and aspiration. He watches Barry acting the hero and smiling and we know that this is right, you can smell the nostalgia, but the question remains: can nostalgia help us find a brighter future, or will it only make us wonder "... where is the essence that was so divine?"
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-25-2016 at 05:31 AM.

so overcome with emotion towards the end. holy cow, this really was like coming home!!! REBIRTH

Incredible Member

The only thing I hated about the issue was the two times Johns de facto denounced rationality - namely skepticism and disbelief once each, to be precise. Reminded me of ignorant, disrespectful comments of his from many years ago about (to paraphrase) "amoral atheists".

Anyway, I loved the main plot, and even teared up a bit during the whole scene with Wally and Barry until he solidified. And the various glimpses into upcoming storylines were all intriguing. (Well, Diana having a twin brother could easily turn out disastrous, but in Rucka I trust.)

(And of course I'm still annoyed about the status of the YJ4. And I would have liked glimpses into Detective Comics and Action Comics as well.)
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Reminded me of ignorant, disrespectful comments of his from many years ago about (to paraphrase) "amoral atheists".
    Have you got more details about that, please?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Oh wow. I'm out. I thought this was, well, bad, for a start. This and JL 50 were just awful stuff. What happened to Johns? His work has been terrible for years. Terrible dialogue, plots straight out of a three year olds brain. He's just banging his action figures together now. How can he write so much and still have nothing to say?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Have you got more details about that, please?
    'Twas ages ago... I'm pretty sure when he was publicly promoting his idea of an emotional spectrum (which also included lots of nonsense regarding which emotions were "more primal" than others).
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Oh wow. I'm out. I thought this was, well, bad, for a start. This and JL 50 were just awful stuff. What happened to Johns? His work has been terrible for years. Terrible dialogue, plots straight out of a three year olds brain. He's just banging his action figures together now. How can he write so much and still have nothing to say?
    Luckily, you can get your money back

I wonder how old the original JSA members must be? I mean looking at Johnny Thunder and that we are going with the idea that they fought in WWII they must be getting up there in age unless their powers manage to keep them young. Of course they will probably also go with Geoff Johns JSA run idea of recruiting younger heroes related to past members, why else would they mention Johnny Thunders grandson.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

It seems the Legionnaire is Saturn Girl? Blonde pony tail. She doesn't read like Saturn Girl. Not even Silver Age Saturn Girl reads like that. Yes, I get the 'bright sci fi future' angle is back to Legion but Saturn Girl has always been a more grounded, take charge character rather than perky. And it seemed unrealistic to the character she would get caught stealing food, she knows the timeline, she's smart.