Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Definitely the cartoon. It is far better on every level.

But I'd very much want Kaldur to remain gay. That much from the comic can carry over.

You know, speaking of the cartoon......I wonder if he's still going to be Aqualad in the next season, or if he will have taken on a new name? Assuming he's even still alive.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Definitely from Young Justice, on the show he was accomplished warrior and competent leader. In the comics he was nothing more than Robin's gimp and whipping boy. He was so emasculated that when he was rewritten to be gay, I laughed my but off and said "That figures". Black Male, alpha personality, and very charismatic with too much potent to be paired off female teammates.
    In fairness, the two had completely different backstories. For starters, Kaldur was raised in Atlantis while Jackson didn't even know he was Atlantian till his teens. And everyone was Damian's whipping boy in Teen Titans.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-21-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

But I'd very much want Kaldur to remain gay. That much from the comic can carry over.

You know, speaking of the cartoon......I wonder if he's still going to be Aqualad in the next season, or if he will have taken on a new name? Assuming he's even still alive.
    Yeah, I didn't have a problem with him being gay, although bi would serve a better purpose with YJ, but it was his personality change that threw me off. My first iteration was the showed, while in the comics he seemed toned down. I do wish he would have a more enthusiastic personality though. I'm getting a little tired of the stoic and hardcore black person.

Incredible Member

In the cartoon he was from the Dick generation, in the comics he was from the Damian generation

but there are still people who want him in the young justice comics with Tim, who he has never interacted so much in comics or cartoon

Maybe he could take up a new name? Typhoon? Mist?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness, the two had completely different backstories. For starters, Kaldur was raised in Atlantis while Jackson didn't even know he was Atlantian till his teens. And everyone was Damian's whipping boy in Teen Titans.
    Which is why I wanted DC to put him in Aquaman's book for a bit so he can get some decent development and back bone in training but noooo DC doesn't like the sidekicks hanging out with their mentors anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Yeah, I didn't have a problem with him being gay, although bi would serve a better purpose with YJ, but it was his personality change that threw me off. My first iteration was the showed, while in the comics he seemed toned down. I do wish he would have a more enthusiastic personality though. I'm getting a little tired of the stoic and hardcore black person.
    Why bi? Because of Tula? I don't think that actually makes too much of a difference honestly. There was one episode, out of the blue, where we find out Kaldur had been in a relationship with her. And then that's it. She doesn't get mentioned again until after she's dead. The relationship can be written off as Kaldur being young and not having accepted his sexuality (lots of gay people have relationships with the opposite sex before they figure it all out). And in season 2, all Kaldur does is accuse the Team of "letting" her die. And he was undercover, using her death as part of his "motivation" for turning evil. But it's Wally who says she was the "love of his life." Not Kaldur. And the flirting we see between Kaldur and Rocket at the end of season 1 is all Rocket; Kaldur himself doesn't really initiate it, and doesn't even respond much to it (which could just be him being stoic, but it does fit here too). I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kaldur was gay on the cartoon, and his brief tryst with Tula was just that; a kid figuring his stuff out.

I mean, either way, it's not a huge deal. But I think cartoon Kaldur could totally be gay, given what we've seen thus far. Though honestly, the total silence on all things Aqualad has me concerned for season 3. We've seen everyone else in one form or another from the original crew, as well as most of the season 2 characters, but nothing on Kaldur at all. I'm really hoping he hasn't died, retired, gone evil, or is otherwise written out of the story. Kaldur was one of the best things about Young Justice.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Why bi? Because of Tula? I don't think that actually makes too much of a difference honestly. There was one episode, out of the blue, where we find out Kaldur had been in a relationship with her. And then that's it. She doesn't get mentioned again until after she's dead. The relationship can be written off as Kaldur being young and not having accepted his sexuality (lots of gay people have relationships with the opposite sex before they figure it all out). And in season 2, all Kaldur does is accuse the Team of "letting" her die. And he was undercover, using her death as part of his "motivation" for turning evil. But it's Wally who says she was the "love of his life." Not Kaldur. And the flirting we see between Kaldur and Rocket at the end of season 1 is all Rocket; Kaldur himself doesn't really initiate it, and doesn't even respond much to it (which could just be him being stoic, but it does fit here too). I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kaldur was gay on the cartoon, and his brief tryst with Tula was just that; a kid figuring his stuff out.

I mean, either way, it's not a huge deal. But I think cartoon Kaldur could totally be gay, given what we've seen thus far. Though honestly, the total silence on all things Aqualad has me concerned for season 3. We've seen everyone else in one form or another from the original crew, as well as most of the season 2 characters, but nothing on Kaldur at all. I'm really hoping he hasn't died, retired, gone evil, or is otherwise written out of the story. Kaldur was one of the best things about Young Justice.
    Agree with everything here. I could see the cartoon version being gay or bi.

I'm just hoping they're hiding Kaldur role because Aqualad isn't in the comics at the moment and if he isn't in the show I'll be so disappointed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Maybe he could take up a new name? Typhoon? Mist?
    Both names are taken.

Typhoon was a Firestorm villain and Mist is from Starman.

Depending on how big the time skip is, perhaps Kaldur has taken Arthur's role as Aquaman while Arthur focuses on ruling Atlantis?

It'd be nice to see at least one of the original Team finally join the League......and Kaldur definitely deserves a spot there.

As long as he's got a solid role on the show, I'll be happy. I just want him to be present, and I want his presence to matter, yknow?

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm just hoping they're hiding Kaldur role because Aqualad isn't in the comics at the moment and if he isn't in the show I'll be so disappointed.
    Well, I'm in the show for the long haul because of my kids. It's become a tradition that we watch the show together. But if Kaldur and Nightwing don't get a big chunk of screen time? I'm gonna be super pissed.

~ Black Panther.

Why, when he wasn't originally perceived that way?

I'm just hoping he shows up sometime soon in the next Aquaman run. Or even just have him show up somewhere training with Tempest although I do have hope he'll show up in the Yound Justice line eventually.
    With Black Manta being set up as a major villain again over in JL it'd also be cool to have him seek out Jackson again for whatever nefarious deeds he has planned. There's so many avenues they could be taking his character. Sucks that he just disappeared.

Astonishing Member

But that pointed to the issue that was talked about with Kaldur, which was the fact that a black male couldn't be seen in a relationship with a female (especially white) and thus was given a one off episode to illustrate it. Almost everyone had a relationship in Young Justice except for him.
    So sign me up for hoping he can be bi.

1) A bi male is much rarer in comics/cartoon than a gay male.

2) It allows course correction to happen regarding black males being with females.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    But that pointed to the issue that was talked about with Kaldur, which was the fact that a black male couldn't be seen in a relationship with a female (especially white) and thus was given a one off episode to illustrate it. Almost everyone had a relationship in Young Justice except for him.
    So sign me up for hoping he can be bi.

1) A bi male is much rarer in comics/cartoon than a gay male.

2) It allows course correction to happen regarding black males being with females.
    I agree with this. It almost goes hand in hand with Black men in dresses.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.