Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Yikes! This thread took an unfortunate turn.

For Aqualad, I just hope he gets a healthy love life. It would be nice to have him in a loving and supportive relationship. I'm fine with drama, but I hope it doesn't get cliche.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So, Aqualad ladies and gentlemen!

Back on track, what do you think DC could do to differentiate him from the rest of Aquaman's supporting cast? Part of the big issue there is that aside from Mera, the others aren't so easy to simply "get" and don't appear enough to reinforce their core characteristics to the general fanbase. That isn't to say others like Garth and Tula don't have defined characters, but if you ask a general DC fan, they probably wouldn't know what to say.

It'd be cool for Jackson to really get a good push and I'm curious what bigger fans of him than I think that could be.

I guess tl;dr, sell me on Jackson because so far I think he's a good concept nobody's really done much with in the comics.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Back on track, what do you think DC could do to differentiate him from the rest of Aquaman's supporting cast? Part of the big issue there is that aside from Mera, the others aren't so easy to simply "get" and don't appear enough to reinforce their core characteristics to the general fanbase. That isn't to say others like Garth and Tula don't have defined characters, but if you ask a general DC fan, they probably wouldn't know what to say.

It'd be cool for Jackson to really get a good push and I'm curious what bigger fans of him than I think that could be.

I guess tl;dr, sell me on Jackson because so far I think he's a good concept nobody's really done much with in the comics.
    I think him tagging along Aquaman and Mera would improve him. If Mera does take throne I think her adventures time will dwindle and it could potentially just be Aquaman and Aqualad for a bit.

To differentiate himself from the other characters they could emphasize his outsider condition just like Aquaman. Probably develop a stigma around the character from not being Atlantean but being awfully close with the King and Queen?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

What I'd do:

Abnett's plotline is wrapped up so Arthur and Mera can be together, both in a general and romantic sense. From there, Garth would bring Jackson with him back to Atlantis, both of their teams now disbanded. Jackson would be enraptured by the place and the concept would be introduced that Atlantis finds the idea of discrimination based on one's sexual orientation to be ridiculous and something only those stupid humans would come up with. Of course it wouldn't be completely smooth sailing for him in Atlantis as, as is the common theme for the AquaFamily, he's still an outsider and a very insecure one at that. However, as he begins to study under Arthur and Mera, his confidence begins to grew, as does a clever streak. Power-set wise, I stick to what I think would be best for him: he's the red mage of the AquaFam. He has powerful hydrokinesis, but not as powerful as Mera's, he's a skilled fighter, but not to the degree of Arthur or Tula and he's damn strong, but still on the weaker side of the fam.

After a few stories of bonding with Arthur and Mera and growing as a man, he'd face some regression as San-Diego sinks and soon after, Lorena Marquez becomes the new Aquagirl (or rather the first Aquagirl since Tula never had that role now). Lorena would proceed to get under his skin in every way possible. He started out shakey and unsure of himself? She's brimming with confidence from the start. It took him forever to meet his mentors? She's involved with them right away and starts getting the bulk of the attention. And of course this is Lorena we're talking about so she teases Jackson about the going-on's (although it'd be clear that she didn't realize just how hurtful she was being.) Just in general, he'd feel like he was being replaced.

Jackson's solution? Adopt the 'Kaldur' personality. Sure, he'd been developing but still not in the direction of being anything like Kaldur. Obviously he wouldn't have a template to work with, but he'd more be thinking to himself in terms of what he 'should' be. Of course this would not end well because, of course, he isn't that guy and he has to be who he is, not who he thinks others want him to be (Works in a few different ways) However, that doesn't mean that some of the traits he was pretending to have weren't positive ones, finally leading him down the path to become a bit more like his animated counterpart.

As far as having a defined 'role' in the family goes, he and Lorena would serve as counter-balances to each other. The prodigy with too little confidence and the prodigy with too much confidence.
    Last edited by Assam; 05-04-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    What I'd do:

Abnett's plotline is wrapped up so Arthur and Mera can be together, both in a general and romantic sense. From there, Garth would bring Jackson with him back to Atlantis, both of their teams now disbanded. Jackson would be enraptured by the place and the concept would be introduced that Atlantis finds the idea of discrimination based on one's sexual orientation to be ridiculous and something only those stupid humans would come up with. Of course it wouldn't be completely smooth sailing for him in Atlantis as, as is the common theme for the AquaFamily, he's still an outsider and a very insecure one at that. However, as he begins to study under Arthur and Mera, his confidence begins to grew, as does a clever streak. Power-set wise, I stick to what I think would be best for him: he's the red mage of the AquaFam. He has powerful hydrokinesis, but not as powerful as Mera's, he's a skilled fighter, but not to the degree of Arthur or Tula and he's damn strong, but still on the weaker side of the fam.

After a few stories of bonding with Arthur and Mera and growing as a man, he'd face some regression as San-Diego sinks and soon after, Lorena Marquez becomes the new Aquagirl (or rather the first Aquagirl since Tula never had that role now). Lorena would proceed to get under his skin in every way possible. He started out shakey and unsure of himself? She's brimming with confidence from the start. It took him forever to meet his mentors? She's involved with them right away and starts getting the bulk of the attention. And of course this is Lorena we're talking about so she teases Jackson about the going-on's (although it'd be clear that she didn't realize just how hurtful she was being.) Just in general, he'd feel like he was being replaced.

Jackson's solution? Adopt the 'Kaldur' personality. Sure, he'd been developing but still not in the direction of being anything like Kaldur. Obviously he wouldn't have a template to work with, but he'd more be thinking to himself in terms of what he 'should' be. Of course this would not end well because, of course, he isn't that guy and he has to be who he is, not who he thinks others want him to be (Works in a few different ways) However, that doesn't mean that some of the traits he was pretending to have weren't positive ones, finally leading him down the path to become a bit more like his animated counterpart.

As far as having a defined 'role' in the family goes, he and Lorena would serve as counter-balances to each other. The prodigy with too little confidence and the prodigy with too much confidence.
    LOVE everything about this and they're all things I would really love to see.

I'd really love to see some Arthur/Jackson interaction soon. I'm not sure where the red tape is on why he couldn't pop up in Titans but I'm hoping once this Rath storyline ends in Aquaman he starts making his way to Atlantis.

What I'd do:

I like your ideas.

In addition, and I know there's next to no chance of it happening, but I would really like to explore Koryak and Jackson's interactions with each other. They're two out of three heroic characters of color in the Aquaman mythos and are both outcasts/marginalized society members in some way in both Atlantis and the surface world (Koryak being half Inuit and Jackson being African American and gay).

Not to mention there fathers are arch enemies.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-04-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    We also hope for repentance not simply to wipe them out.
    Why I will never take Christianity or any Abrahamic religion seriously. Genocide is all those religions brought to this world...

Anyway, as for Aqualad, I don't care who he ends up with, as long as the stories are good and he is written well. I do kind of have this urge to pair him with Bunker, since I miss that character and think they'd make a great pairing. I'd save Lorena for Jaime, since it looks like him and Traci will never be together again.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I like your ideas.

In addition, and I know there's next to no chance of it happening, but I would really like to explore Koryak and Jackson's interactions with each other. They're two out of three heroic characters of color in the Aquaman mythos and are both outcasts/marginalized society members in some way in both Atlantis and the surface world (Koryak being half Inuit and Jackson being African American and gay).

Not to mention there fathers are arch enemies.
    I'd definitely like to see this as well

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Why I will never take Christianity or any Abrahamic religion seriously. Genocide is all those religions brought to this world.
    I don't disagree, but nearly ALL organized religions inspire hate, violence and/or death in some way, not just the Abrahamic ones. The only exception to my knowledge is modern Druidism.

. I'd save Lorena for Jaime, since it looks like him and Traci will never be together again.
    I'd rather see Lorena and Koryak get together like they were being set up to before Infinite Crisis came along and ruined everything.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Why I will never take Christianity or any Abrahamic religion seriously. Genocide is all those religions brought to this world...
    I wasn't going to do this but I'll ask you and anyone who believes such a thing to give burden of proof and maybe true in context Biblical understanding. Because clearly no one here on this thread reads or studies the Bible otherwise they would know the deeper meanings it holds. Because hope and redemption is what it offers. If you are angry with God for ordering people to wipe out people who displeased Him the sovereign ruler whose throne is in Heaven and whose footstool is the Earth take it up with Him it's His orders. His divine orders that if disobeyed he will deliver punishment. And don't think that just because nothing happens doesn't mean He doesn't exist. He is giving time for repentance once you die without repentance you don't stand a chance before Him. You can only cower and cringe before His presence.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-05-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Or I can laugh at his face. If he needs blind worshipers and refuses to extend a gentle hand to those who do goods without adhering to his Creed (whatever it may be, considering the crazy number of Christian sects, and then there is Hebraism, the various Muslim Sects, and a lot of other minor Abrahamic religions), he isn't much deserving of any praise nor respect in my book.

BANNED

I wasn't going to do this but I'll ask you and anyone who believes such a thing to give burden of proof and maybe true in context Biblical understanding. Because clearly no one here on this thread reads or studies the Bible otherwise they would know the deeper meanings it holds. Because hope and redemption is what it offers. If you are angry with God for ordering people to wipe out people who displeased Him the sovereign ruler whose throne is in Heaven and whose footstool is the Earth take it up with Him it's His orders. His divine orders that if disobeyed he will deliver punishment. And don't think that just because nothing happens doesn't mean He doesn't exist. He is giving time for repentance once you die without repentance you don't stand a chance before Him. You can only cower and cringe before His presence.
    Leave theology out of this place.

BANNED

This had me laughing out loud. Thanks for that.

BTW, I have indeed read the Bible in its entirety, as well as the Torah and Qur'an.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Or I can laugh at his face. If he needs blind worshipers and refuses to extend a gentle hand to those who do goods without adhering to his Creed (whatever it may be, considering the crazy number of Christian sects, and then there is Hebraism, the various Muslim Sects, and a lot of other minor Abrahamic religions), he isn't much deserving of any praise nor respect in my book.
    QFT

BANNED

BTW, I have indeed read the Bible in its entirety, as well as the Torah and Qur'an.

QFT
    Are you Indian?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Are you Indian?
    Nope. Why?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Leave theology out of this place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

QFT
    Very well and if anyone wants a go at it come to the Are your reading the Bible today thread and then we can hash it out.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-05-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he