Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default JSA Predictions and Thoughts: DC Rebirth spoilers

The spoilers have been out for a couple days now but if you just picked it up today you know that in DC Rebirth they mentioned that in WW2 the JSA did exist as a hero team but that the world forgot all about them. The only member we saw though was an old Johnny Thunder who has been put in a mental hospital who's been trying to find the members of JSA as well as trying to get his genie back.

With this in mind I thought I'd try for a discussion on the JSA in the Rebirth line. Personally I think we are going to see something similar to Geoff Johns run where the JSA recruit younger heroes who are related to current or past members, I think this because if they really did fight in WWII then the members are getting up there in age unless their power can slow down their age. Not to mention they did mention Johnny Thunder's grandson as the only one who believes him so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to use him. That's just my thoughts though, what does everyone else think will happen with the JSA in Rebirth.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

We know why they were forgotten spoilers:
    Johnny Thunder used the Thunderbolt to make the world forget them during the Red Scare. Thanks Tail-Gunner Joe!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The spoilers have been out for a couple days now but if you just picked it up today you know that in DC Rebirth they mentioned that in WW2 the JSA did exist as a hero team but that the world forgot all about them. The only member we saw though was an old Johnny Thunder who has been put in a mental hospital who's been trying to find the members of JSA as well as trying to get his genie back.

With this in mind I thought I'd try for a discussion on the JSA in the Rebirth line. Personally I think we are going to see something similar to Geoff Johns run where the JSA recruit younger heroes who are related to current or past members, I think this because if they really did fight in WWII then the members are getting up there in age unless their power can slow down their age. Not to mention they did mention Johnny Thunder's grandson as the only one who believes him so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to use him. That's just my thoughts though, what does everyone else think will happen with the JSA in Rebirth.
    From reading it, it sounded like Johnny used the Thunderbolt to send the JSA away to protect them from the Masked Men law.
    And he quite possibly instructed the Thunderbolt to go with them to prevent him from being weak and bringing them back five minutes later.
    And provide them with a way back once it was safe.

Most likely, the JSA that returns will be the one that disbanded in the '50s.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I was just speaking in general when I said they were forgotten, sorry about that.

When I said like Geoff Johns run though I did mean with some of the original members back, I just guessed they would be older since we haven't seen them. For all I know they are still young thanks to Johnny's actions.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-25-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

[QUOTE=Lee Stone;2039057]From reading it, it sounded like Johnny used the Thunderbolt to send the JSA away to protect them from the Masked Men law.
    And he quite possibly instructed the Thunderbolt to go with them to prevent him from being weak and bringing them back five minutes later.

Most likely, the JSA that returns will be the one that disbanded in the '50s.[/QUOTE]

I agree. BUT there is some room for some of the younger members of the JSA/Justice society series to be part it to. We know that Johny lived on so maybe wifes/girlfriends of the other characters did to. Maybe Allan had an affair before going away and now the twins are grown ups. The same with members like Jesse Quick etc. We could stil get versions of some of the younger generation to.

All-New Member

im hearing the original jsa to appear and they will be young again in the 21st century

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    From reading it, it sounded like Johnny used the Thunderbolt to send the JSA away to protect them from the Masked Men law.

Most likely, the JSA that returns will be the one that disbanded in the '50s.
    *Spoilers* Bleeding Cool had a story saying that the plan was to bring the young JSA of the 50s into the present (similar to what happened recently with the original X-Men). So this theory is probably close
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-25-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

it could be that the young JSA's appearance breaks thunderbolt/His memory/temporal shenanigans, allowing for their present day counterparts to remember who they are and either get back in the game find their successors

I do expect that some of the Old guard might have picked up some changes that weren't present in the post-crisis version

Not quite the original JSA, though: these guys were “a covert team of mystery men who helped end WWⅡ”. I swear, between this and Wally's return being the trigger for this event, it's like Johns has been reading my posts.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Hmm. Not a fan of this - I'm kind of glad for the Post Crisis -JSA fans that will have more or less that iteration back, but there are a few things with this that isn't that good, to me...

First, if they come back but are from the 50's, then the PC-JSA fans won't ACTUALLY have those versions back - it'll in reality be more or less new versions - they'll just happen to be more similar to the PC-versions than the current Earth-2 versions.

Second - the JSA should NOT be on the same Earth as the JLA. The reasons for this are the same as always - it's called the Captain Marvel -syndrome: when he's on the same Earth as Superman, Captain Marvel will NEVER be what he is intended to be: Earth's Mightiest Mortal, the greatest Superhero in the world. With Superman around, he's less than second. The same applies to the JSA. (it even goes both ways - because the JSA would then be the originals, and the JLA heroes younger, it actually takes away from the JLA as well)

Third - bringing back the JSA without bringing back Earth-2 Superman is a travesty - it robs Superman of the role as the first Superhero! Which to me, as a E2-fan, is intolerable.

I think I came up with a way for the returning JSA to be more like the PC-versions btw - have it so that Johnny's spell only made them forget they were the JSA, and lived out their lives as normal, but they're now all old and with children / grand-children. When Johnny undoes the spell it will also DEAGE them! And presto - more similar, yet young, JSA.

Astonishing Member

considering a decent chunk of Johns' runs involved the children/grandchildren/other of the old JSA i don't see a full reversion

and speaking of changes, i'd say last night's flash is a decent example of how some of the JSA backstories could possibly change. at the very least there will be redesigns both for the WWII team and the present day

it also depends on who Johns entrusts with the task of doing the JSA rebirth.

BANNED

Yeah, I expect the whole team to get "Captain America'd"

Which doesn't mean there might not be legacies. I just hope they avoid children/grandchildren. Because eventually that starts to get illogical.

BANNED

I DO NOT want latter-day characters put into the JSA.

Hell no! What's the point in bringing them back if you want to do that? Just create your own team instead.

Don't screw this up DC!

BANNED

This comic needs a writer who won't constantly and gradually change everything about the JSA so that after a few years it's completely different. The writers who like to do that are pretty identifiable. They should be kept away from it.

It should have a writer who will change only what he must change and not one bit more than that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I DO NOT want latter-day characters put into the JSA.

Hell no! What's the point in bringing them back if you want to do that? Just create your own team instead.

Don't screw this up DC!
    would rather defeat the whole advertisement of Rebirth "restoring" legacy, wouldn't it?

to say nothing of the fact that Rebirth's already telegraphed Johnny Thunder great-grandson (Jakeem?) being his legacy successor. and Kent Nelson's already been introduced as Khalid's great uncle. they'll be using relatives as legacies like Johns is won't to do
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 05-25-2016 at 11:00 AM.