Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What was your favorite series from DC in the 80's?

To many, the 80's was an era of unparalleled creativity at DC. From horror to science fiction to fantasy to westerns to regular superhero stories, you could find pretty much anything you wanted during that era. As such, I wanted to see what everyone loved from this period.

For me, it's Green Lantern. From Marv Wolfman to various fill in writers to Len Wein, I love this era through and through.

My other favorites:

Cary Bates on the Flash

Paul Levitz on the Legion of Superheroes:

Last edited by Pharozonk; 08-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

DC COMICS PRESENTS. Every month, Superman was paired up with another DC superhero...sometimes A-list stars like Superman himself, but other times, obscure heroes who never headlined their own books. It was a great book for seeing a wide cross-section of the DCU, with Superman as the anchor.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'll go with the original Justice League International. One of the most fun books I have ever read, and Giffen and DeMatisse wrote every character pretty much perfectly.
    Cyclops was right

Fantastic Member

I really can't list a true favorite because each title is unique.

I will list my top 10 titles from the decade

1) New Teen Titans (Wolfman/Perez)
    2) Justice League International
    3) Suicide Squad
    4) Wonder Woman (George Perez)
    5) All-Star Squadron
    6) DC Comics Presents
    7) Blue Devil
    8) Booster Gold
    9) Legion of Super Heroes (Paul Levitz)
    10) Superman (John Byrne)

Hard to really narrow it down to one series, especially in the late 80's post-Crisis period.

My favourite pre-Crisis series was definitely All-Star Squadron. I loved old school Earth-2.

Post-Crisis: Probably the Question by Denny O'Neill and Denys Cowan.

BANNED

New Teen Titans, Superman, JLI, Green Arrow, The Question & the Ambush Bug mini was cool.

Alan Moore's Swamp.Thing, Hellblazer, The Question, JLI, Suicide Squad, The Flash....
    BB

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

For me it's Green arrow by Grell, New teen titans, Suicide squad and pre-Vertigo books like Swamp Thing and Hellblazer
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Hard to really narrow it down to one series, especially in the late 80's post-Crisis period.

My favourite pre-Crisis series was definitely All-Star Squadron. I loved old school Earth-2.

Right there with you. It also had one of my favourite JLA/JSA team-ups of all time, versus Degaton and the Crime Syndicate. Take THAT Forever Evil!

jla.jpg

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    Right there with you. It also had one of my favourite JLA/JSA team-ups of all time, versus Degaton and the Crime Syndicate. Take THAT Forever Evil!

jla.jpg
    This right here is what started my comic book collecting. With our purchase came a free copy of New Teen Titans #18 or 19 (Frances Kane goes berserk), and 30+ years later I'm still collecting DC.

In my opinion, EVERYTHING DC produced in the 80's was amazing. I also loved the 'Shadow War of Hawkman' mini and Aquaman's mini (with his blue suit).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Post-Crisis: Probably the Question by Denny O'Neill and Denys Cowan.
    Probably mine, too, since I re-read it at times.

I remember loving the VIGILANTE. I was in my teens & it just seemed so cool to me. I jumped around a lot in the 80's. I bought Legion at the begining of the decade but dropped it after Crisis. I loved Superman in the 70's but the books got stale to me in the 80's until Byrne. Batman was usually pretty good. Loved the Don Newton period. I dropped Flash around the time of the trial.

If I was to pick one title, it would be ALL STAR SQUADRON. I've been reading that lately & the first 50 issues or so were really good. The Buckler, Ordway, Gonzalez period was really strong. Thomas really brought the era to life. One of my favorite titles ever!!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    DC COMICS PRESENTS. Every month, Superman was paired up with another DC superhero...sometimes A-list stars like Superman himself, but other times, obscure heroes who never headlined their own books. It was a great book for seeing a wide cross-section of the DCU, with Superman as the anchor.

The quality was uneven at times, but was usual good to great, so I can agree with that.
    The Brave & The Bold was like that as well, but I guess people see that as more of a 70's series.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I LOVED the series for the very reasons you mentioned. I'd love to see it revived in this exact same format--one-shot tales teaming Superman with whomever. I'd even go for a return of the 'Whatever Happened To...?' back-ups the series had every so often.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I LOVED the series for the very reasons you mentioned. I'd love to see it revived in this exact same format--one-shot tales teaming Superman with whomever. I'd even go for a return of the 'Whatever Happened To...?' back-ups the series had every so often.
    Problem with that could be that comic book styles have changed drastically since then. More "bigger panels" and less word balloons / dialogue boxes. Featuring a decent team-up story in a single issue every issue would be much tougher now if you're limited to 20 pages (or less). After all, how many panels are on the average comic book page now vs. back in the 1980s? You'd probably need to figure on two issues per a team-up these days to approach a story with as much as they had back then.
    (As for the "Whatever Happened To . . . " feature, DC would have to admit to more of a canon history for the DC universe than they have so far.)