Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Post-Crisis: Justice League International

Pre-Crisis: Atari Force

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    I just recently discovered & read the collected edition of Batman: The Cult, the 4-issue mini-series from 1988; this had art by the great Berni Wrightson & was written by Jim Starlin.

Incredible story & art; the idea of Batman being defeated & broken (temporarily) by an evil "preacher" who had taken over Gotham is quite bizarre, but really worked here. Also, the timing for this story was very appropriate, i.e. the 1980's - this decade was the heyday for those corrupt/hypocritical TV preachers who successfully ripped a lot of people off under the guise of "religion".

Elements of this story reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns (released only a couple of years before), i.e. Gotham being taken over by a gang of criminals; Batman's tank-like Batmobile, etc.

Highly recommended if you haven't already read this, and especially if you're a fan of BW's artwork.
    You might want to check out their other collaboration, The Weird, from about the same time. It featured the newly formed JLI.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Infinity Inc. and All-Star Squadron. I adore the Golden Age DC characters and I love the concept of legacy. These are two titles that straight up cannot be done in the New 52 and DC is a worse, less interesting place for it.
    I totally agree!

BANNED

New Teen Titans/New Titans all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    I just recently discovered & read the collected edition of Batman: The Cult, the 4-issue mini-series from 1988; this had art by the great Berni Wrightson & was written by Jim Starlin.

Incredible story & art; the idea of Batman being defeated & broken (temporarily) by an evil "preacher" who had taken over Gotham is quite bizarre, but really worked here. Also, the timing for this story was very appropriate, i.e. the 1980's - this decade was the heyday for those corrupt/hypocritical TV preachers who successfully ripped a lot of people off under the guise of "religion".

Elements of this story reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns (released only a couple of years before), i.e. Gotham being taken over by a gang of criminals; Batman's tank-like Batmobile, etc.

Highly recommended if you haven't already read this, and especially if you're a fan of BW's artwork.
    A lot of people hate The Cult, but I thought it was just about the only good Batman story that Jim Starlin wrote.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

New Teen Titans and Legion of Superheroes all the way! We have never and I don't think we will ever see the caliber of stories like this again.

Same over at Marvel with Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, and West Coast Avengers.

Legion of Superheroes and Wonder Woman

I can in all honesty say that between 1967 (six years old) through today the most fun I ever had in actually selecting and buying and than reading
    comics was in the 80's
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 04-04-2016 at 01:22 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

GL & Firestorm (until that Russian/elemental stuff)

And Warlord.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    GL & Firestorm (until that Russian/elemental stuff)

And Warlord.
    The Soviet stuff was the best part of that run!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I can in all honesty say that between 1967 (six years old) through today the most fun I ever had in actually selecting and buying and than reading
    comics was in the 80's
    I can in all honesty say that, between 1967 (eight years old) through today, the most fun I ever had in actually selecting, buying and then reading comics was in 1967.

After that, I had my moments. There was always some title that was exciting and kept me interested in buying comics (well up until around 2010).

In the early part of the 1980s, it was books like NEW TEEN TITANS, GREEN LANTERN, DC COMICS PRESENTS and LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (plus DAREDEVIL from Marvel and CAPTAIN CANUCK from Comely Comix). In the mid-1980s, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, SWAMP THING, NATHANIEL DUSK and 'MAZING MAN. In the late 1980s, SECRET ORIGINS, CAPTAIN ATOM, SILVER BLADE and WASTELAND.

I still have so many 80s DC comics I want to read. A lot of great stuff here.

All-New Member

The Flash volume 2 is my favorite thing to come out of the 80's though it started late in the decade. I like John Byrne's work on The Fantastic Four and Superman. My favorite issue of Batman was written in 1986 issue #400 by Doug Moench. It even had an introduction by Stephen King which is pretty cool in and of itself.

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

Mine are
    The New Teen Titans
    Legion of Super Heroes
    All Star Squadron
    Infinity Inc
    JLI
    Wonder Woman

I agree with Jim Kelly, I don't think we will ever see such dense captivating plots and characters as we did in the 80s, from either company. Some of the major arcs from these series couldn't be done in this day and age I don't think.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    I agree with Jim Kelly, I don't think we will ever see such dense captivating plots and characters as we did in the 80s, from either company. Some of the major arcs from these series couldn't be done in this day and age I don't think.
    Yeah, those days are long gone.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor