Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "X-Men: Apocalypse" On Track For $90M Opening Weekend

While "Apocalypse" succeeds at the box office, Disney's "Alice Through The Looking Glass" is falling short of estimates.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Two things:

1. We'll see if the breaking story about Depp and Heard hits the box office.
    2. Based on reviews and projections, I doubt X-Men gets to BvS or even Deadpool grosses

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    2. Based on reviews and projections, I doubt X-Men gets to BvS or even Deadpool grosses
    None of which is necessarily good. It did $103 million internationally last weekend and it's only projected to hit $90 million domestic it's opening weekend in the US? Superhero fatigue indeed.

Mighty Member

90 million? While a respectable umber that's a pretty low number by today's blockbuster standards. I mean the X-men main movies are the ones that are supposed to compete with the Avengers and Justice League movies, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    None of which is necessarily good. It did $103 million internationally last weekend and it's only projected to hit $90 million domestic it's opening weekend in the US? Superhero fatigue indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    90 million? While a respectable umber that's a pretty low number by today's blockbuster standards. I mean the X-men main movies are the ones that are supposed to compete with the Avengers and Justice League movies, no?
    Lol! Seriously?

A 90 mil opening will put it at second or maybe third best X-men openings and you folks are already calling it doomed?

I think the story of this franchise's demise has been greatly exaggerated. And for all the it's getting horrible rating talk it has a 75% fan rating on rotten tomatoes which I think is far more important numbers than the critic numbers.

There is no sign of fatigue. X-Men has never been a huge moneymaker compared to Marvel's billion dollar grossing films (with Deadpool being a huge outlier). DOFP earned $110 million in its 4 day weekend in 2014. X-Men: Apocalypse was never going to reach that since it's competing with the opening of Alice Through The Looking Glass, so for it to get $90 million in its 4 day weekend shows the franchise is still strong. Not as strong as Marvel Studios, obviously, but they clearly still have a loyal fanbase.

I know, super hero fatigue sure killed the box office returns of the last CBM too, we're sure setting into a definite trend.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I think the story of this franchise's demise has been greatly exaggerated. And for all the it's getting horrible rating talk it has a 75% fan rating on rotten tomatoes which I think is far more important numbers than the critic numbers.
    Fan ratings are totally useless because it is so easy to cheat. I'm surprised anyone takes them seriously. Not even sure what the point of them are.

Astonishing Member

When people say superhero fatigue, they don't mean the movie is a bomb, but that it should have/could have made more but won't because too many super hero movies are coming out too close to each other.

I do think there's a bit of hero fatigue but then Apocalypse isn't as well made as DOFP so it's possible the drop is due to quality. I am planning to see this movie tomorrow but don't expect it to be as good as DOFP.

I hope this is an overestimation or at least the strong word of mouth of how mediocre it is will give it a 70% or higher drop in it's second weekend.

Ultimate Member

That's a solid opening for X-men.

The X-men movies (outside of Deadpool) don't generally make money like the WB or Marvel movies.

This is a very good opening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronDuck View Post
    I hope this is an overestimation or at least the strong word of mouth of how mediocre it is will give it a 70% or higher drop in it's second weekend.
    Regardless of how word of mouth is, this film is going to drop hard because the summer film season is in full swing, with a new blockbuster opening practically every week. Alice already took a chunk out of X-Men: Apocalypse this week. Next week's TMNT appeals to a very similar demographic. The following week has Now You See Me 2 and Warcraft. Unlike with BvS or Civil War, there's a lot of competition lined up. I imagine there will be quite a few flops this summer, because it's overstuffed with blockbusters. However, I don't think X-Men: Apocalypse will be considered one of those.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 05-27-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    When people say superhero fatigue, they don't mean the movie is a bomb, but that it should have/could have made more but won't because too many super hero movies are coming out too close to each other.
    This is pretty much what I meant. For the movie going audience, this is the fourth CMB of the year. Plus they have TMNT next weekend.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The film will have a 4 day weekend as well. Monday is Memorial Day. So I'd expect a haul of around $100-105 million in the 4 day deal. In total US domestic Days of Future Past did $233+ million here. The real prize will be overseas. The last film did $513+ million so , if they can get around $600 million ...I think Fox will be happy. Basically this introduces new younger cast members. The older ones aren't around on this one. So its basically as i heard , preparing the next bunch of films ahead.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.