Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KidGetNice View Post
    There is no need to make changes. Just create something new and leave the straight characters alone
    Make new characters that don't get anywhere near as many chances to succeed because they're new. Nah.

Straight characters exist because the creators refused to include any LGBT minorities at the time of creation due to their own and societies homophobia. Same can be said for a lack of people of colour, and if adapting them this late to fix their biases then count me in.

We're not going to miss seeing yet another heteronormative plotline.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Its crazy how people can't just be friends without anything sexual going on between them.
    To me, it seems like that when it's men. I don't see that same general thoughts when its two women.

So Marvel should shoehorn in a secret homosexual past that somehow stayed hidden for the character's entire life and was never hinted at or implied, just so they can check off a box on the diversity cheat sheet? Ridiculous. That isn't storytelling, it's advertising. Why would the gay population even want to be so obviously pandered to?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Glad it's getting more traction, be nice if Marvel recognised their lack of LGBT representation in the movies and made this change.
    It's not going to get any traction with Marvel I assure you. They are not going to implement such a drastic change to an existing character in the MCU.

Make new characters that don't get anywhere near as many chances to succeed because they're new. Nah.

Straight characters exist because the creators refused to include any LGBT minorities at the time of creation due to their own and societies homophobia. Same can be said for a lack of people of colour, and if adapting them this late to fix their biases then count me in.

We're not going to miss seeing yet another heteronormative plotline.
    Arguments like this disgust me.

Individuals have no obligation to anyone when they create. No one is a slave to other people's societal issues.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post

Individuals have no obligation to anyone when they create. No one is a slave to other people's societal issues.
    You're right, society has always made everyone liberal minded since the dawn of time and no one who created anything was ever sexist, homophobic or racist.

Quote Originally Posted by bandoogiemanz View Post
    To me, it seems like that when it's men. I don't see that same general thoughts when its two women.
    I see it with women too but not as much.
    We need better comics

You're right, society has always made everyone liberal minded since the dawn of time and no one who created anything was ever sexist, homophobic or racist.
    Putting words in someone's mouth is no substitute for a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Evans' comments were classic PR boilerplate that fail to represent an actual position on the issue either way, tailor made to avoid staking an actual position and thus avoiding offending anyone on either side. Which is, of course, the only smart way for him to respond.
    Yup. If he means it, good on him.
    If he doesn't, well, smart of him to keep the peace or try to.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Spectacular Member

If anyone thinks that Marvel would alienate a majority of a section of the GA to pander to another? If they do then they have no clue what they're taking about.
    Last edited by Redvector; 05-25-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Evans' comments were classic PR boilerplate that fail to represent an actual position on the issue either way, tailor made to avoid staking an actual position and thus avoiding offending anyone on either side. Which is, of course, the only smart way for him to respond.
    I disagree. I mean, I agree that he responded in an intelligent way. But I thought he was pretty clear that he did not feel his Captain America was a) gay, and b) attracted to Bucky in that way. He just did it in a very polite way, and with a bit of humor.

Regardless, this is a stupid idea that thankfully will never happen in a million years. There is nothing in any of the films to suggest that Steve has romantic feelings towards Bucky. Must just be a slow news cycle.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    So Marvel should shoehorn in a secret homosexual past that somehow stayed hidden for the character's entire life and was never hinted at or implied, just so they can check off a box on the diversity cheat sheet? Ridiculous. That isn't storytelling, it's advertising. Why would the gay population even want to be so obviously pandered to?
    This exactly.

I wonder how long it will be until everyone who objects to this proposed revelation will be labelled homophobic.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

First they want Elsa to be gay then they push Poe and Finn.

I didn't know GLAAD was founded to support fanfic pairings.

I'm expecting Charles x Eric BS in June.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post

Could you elaborate more because it's almost you're insinuating people as atemopral objects situated in a vacuum not occupying a particular socio-historical position that influences so many things about the art they create. If so, then you're not starting at a factual basis and are being just as ludicrous as the above poster you chastise.