Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

GLAAD will latch onto anything they believe will benefit homosexuality.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    First they want Elsa to be gay then they push Poe and Finn.

I didn't know GLAAD was founded to support fanfic pairings.

I'm expecting Charles x Eric BS in June.
    Claremont had much more interest in his lesbian subtext, so Chuck and Eric are safe for the "traditional" lifestyle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joeshan View Post
    I disagree. I mean, I agree that he responded in an intelligent way. But I thought he was pretty clear that he did not feel his Captain America was a) gay, and b) attracted to Bucky in that way.
    He said he wasn't playing Cap as gay, but he also said that Cap being gay wouldn't be a bad thing. He basically said it was okay the way it is but would be okay the other way, too. That's not staking a position, that's navigating down the middle to avoid taking a side. Which is fine. It's exactly what he should have done and he did it quite deftly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    GLAAD will latch onto anything they believe will benefit homosexuality.
    Well . . . yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    Could you elaborate more because it's almost you're insinuating people as atemopral objects situated in a vacuum not occupying a particular socio-historical position that influences so many things about the art they create. If so, then you're not starting at a factual basis and are being just as ludicrous as the above poster you chastise.
    Any individual can write the fiction he wants. There's no such thing as "doing it wrong" because of not checking every critic's boxes. Anyone can opt to go against the grain of their current societal trends, as some do or have done, or they can chose to go with them, as most do or have done. It's an individual's rightful choice.

Many creators produce their work to earn a living. The fruits of their labor are under no greater obligation to accomplish more than just monetary gratification than say, a plumber's. Unilaterally bestowing greater responsibilities upon anyone is unfair, unrealistic, egotistical and aggravating.

If you want something done, be constructive about it and don't guilt-trip people who happen to have the public eye into it.
    Last edited by Forseti; 05-25-2016 at 01:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Not touching this hot button topic with a ten foot pole but I chuckle when they always point out the actor seems open to the idea as if it wouldn't be career suicide and insta-bigot status to answer it any other way.
    Right. It seems like people have been made afraid to express themselves.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Right. It seems like people have been made afraid to express themselves.
    It's beginning to create a weird social climate, with certain people/groups pushing their "disagree with me = punishment" agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Yup. If he means it, good on him.
    If he doesn't, well, smart of him to keep the peace or try to.
    Aloha,
    He and Remmer got in trouble for making what was a totally off the cuff remark about Black Widow in an interview, so someone schooled him on not making any sarcastic remarks that might offend the movie ticket buying audience. I completely support the inclusion of gay characters into comics and movies. The point for me is that neither all male or all female relationships have to have a sexual component. A BUDDY movie is not a Gay movie unless the characters have been written as Gay.Unforgiven and Brokeback Mountain were movies about cowboys.Unforgiven was not about gay cowboys because the characters were not written as gay.Heterosexual relationships are as diverse as gay relationships. Trying to make two men or two women gay just because they have a relationship distorts sexuality. Now Deadpool, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    First they want Elsa to be gay then they push Poe and Finn.

I didn't know GLAAD was founded to support fanfic pairings.

I'm expecting Charles x Eric BS in June.
    Yeah, man, why dont they ask for actual character to be introduced instead of all fanfic stuff.
    It's funny. This is the type of stuff people used to laugh at and it was left to the hidden corners on the net but now it's "news."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xJ25x View Post
    Don't you mean "GLAAD it's getting more traction . . . "?
    Exactly. A nice hype machine for GLAAD and not much else. This character has been hetero for decades and now Marvel should make him gay? I think not. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual and so on but Cap is an established hetero guy. Why should they go change an old, cherished character because people ask for it? They don't have to. Sheeeesh. Enough already. If you don't like it then go out and make your own comics and movies. Stop being whiners.

Fantastic Member

First I want to say that I have absolutely no problem with a gay Captain America. Unlike some of the above posters who seem to have gone ballistic over it. It's true that most of these characters were created in the 1940s and 1960s, in a time when openly gay characters were not viable. If people want to update them for a modern sensibility, well, it's been done before and will be done again. And that is totally okay by me.

However, I take issue with two points.

1) It's very unusual that movies and TV depict men that are able to have deep, emotional, open, life-affirming friendships with each other. The same homophobic society that condemns homosexuals also says that males must be guarded about their feelings, must be macho, and must never be open about loving each other as friends. And when we have that rare deep friendship in a movie, lo and behold, people tag it as "gay".

2) Why is that whenever we have a male character that is sensitive, gentle, respectful to women, innocent, etc. like Steve Rogers in the movies, people read a gay subtext into it? It's like they're saying that straight men have to be ogres, or else they're gay. It is a sort of prejudice.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Well . . . yeah.
    They should focus their efforts on things that actually achieve that. Throwing their support for slash fic doesn't do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    I wonder how long it will be until everyone who objects to this proposed revelation will be labelled homophobic.
    Or hateful, or bigoted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They should focus their efforts on things that actually achieve that. Throwing their support for slash fic doesn't do that.
    It draws attention to their cause. That's one of the primary goals of any advocacy group.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    It's beginning to create a weird social climate, with certain people/groups pushing their "disagree with me = punishment" agendas.
    Mmmmmmhmm. ~.~