Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Swamp Thing: The Appreication Thread...Rebirth?

The greatest character ever...The 80s through 90s run was the master. The Dysart run was decent. The Snyder/Soule series wasn't bad (others can be forgotten).

Let's Rebirth The Green and give Swamp Thing the justice he deserves.

I loved the ST bit in Rebirth #1. Bring Abby back <3

Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

Miss this guy. Has he appeared in any comic recently?

Quote Originally Posted by baycitybomber View Post
    Miss this guy. Has he appeared in any comic recently?
    Metal #2.

10char.

And in a Batman issue just before War of Joke and Riddle. It was an extremely interesting issue, by the way.

Spectacular Member

I never knew Swamp Thing was one of my favorite characters until I read Alan Moore's run. After that I became obsessed, especially with the Sprout Saga that followed with Rick Veitch's run. I loved Snyder and Soule's run, especially with the expansion of the different kingdoms and elementals and the tweaking of Arcane into an Avatar as well. I would love to see a rebirth of Swamp Thing, especially something that continues with stories about the different mythologies of the rot and red and all the other kingdoms. But more so I want to see a return of Tefe Holland and what stories could be done with her back in play. And yes I've read the third series which featured Tefe, but that didn't do it for me.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Swamp Thing #135. Wonderful cover by Charles Vess.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 09-17-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammar View Post
    I never knew Swamp Thing was one of my favorite characters until I read Alan Moore's run. After that I became obsessed, especially with the Sprout Saga that followed with Rick Veitch's run. I loved Snyder and Soule's run, especially with the expansion of the different kingdoms and elementals and the tweaking of Arcane into an Avatar as well. I would love to see a rebirth of Swamp Thing, especially something that continues with stories about the different mythologies of the rot and red and all the other kingdoms. But more so I want to see a return of Tefe Holland and what stories could be done with her back in play. And yes I've read the third series which featured Tefe, but that didn't do it for me.
    I'm hoping Tefe is brought back--I recall reading she was intended to be a part of a nixed Doom Patrol team at some point, under the name 'Sprout'. I don't particularly care for what was done with Abby, but at the same time a good writer with a good story could pick up on what's happening with her and make me love it. I also was not a fan of 'winged Swamp Thing stuck in one body', and am glad that was eventually done away with, but yeah, bring Tefe back.

I highly recommend Rick Veitch's run, one of my favorite time travel stories. I stopped reading when Veitch left and only picked up a few of the Nu52 issues.
    Last edited by Montressor; 09-17-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

I have a question for fellow Swamp Thing fans, I didn't like Scott Snyder's take on Swamp Thing, but I'm curious about the run that followed it, Charles Soule's run. If you didn't like Scott Synder's Swamp Thing, would you still recommend Charle's Soule's take on the character?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 09-17-2017 at 09:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I have a question for fellow Swamp Thing fans, I didn't like Scott Snyder's take on Swamp Thing, but I'm curious about the run that followed it, Charles Soule's run. If you didn't like Scott Synder's Swamp Thing, would you still recommend Charle's Soule's take on the character?
    No probably not. I loved Snyder's run and Soule's run follows up on it seamlessly without any sort of drastic direction change. If you didn't like Snyder's run I wouldn't recommend it (even though I loved it)

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    No probably not. I loved Snyder's run and Soule's run follows up on it seamlessly without any sort of drastic direction change. If you didn't like Snyder's run I wouldn't recommend it (even though I loved it)
    Thanks.

Is Len Wein's 2016 Swamp Thing miniseries DC put out during their ill fated DCYOU initiative any good? I don't hear anybody really talk about, when they discuss Swamp Thing comics.

Spectacular Member

If you weren't a fan of Snyder I would still check out Soule's run. He does amazing things with the character and expands on so many concepts. If I ever wrote Swamp Thing I probably would've done something like Charles Soule. And I truly believe Soule's run could stand alone without Snyder. But of course it is a follow-up but if you love Swamp Thing, DO NOT miss this run.

Oh yay I didn't know there was a swamp thing appreciation thread!

I love the character. I would love to see Forrest Whittaker as the lead

I would recommend it. All of Snyder's work has always been mediocre to me. But Charles Soule's run that followed was much better. I can almost be seen as a reboot and I think it's one of the best thing I read during the New52 era.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Oh yay I didn't know there was a swamp thing appreciation thread!

I love the character. I would love to see Forrest Whittaker as the lead
    That would be awesomely wierd.