Super Moderator

Default "X-Men: Apocalypse" Soars Past "Alice" With $8.2 Million Thursday Night

Bryan Singer's "X-Men" sequel opened Thursday night on par with 2014's "X-Men: Days of Future Past."

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Good that means I might not have to deal with a bunch of people when I go see Alice.

Not surprising, X-Men movies are generally very front-loaded.

i'm really irritated that the imax theaters filled their screens with alice and NONE for x-men! serves them right to see x-men blow them out of the water!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i'm really irritated that the imax theaters filled their screens with alice and NONE for x-men! serves them right to see x-men blow them out of the water!
    That irritated me too. I ended up not caring much for X-Men: Apocalypse (not bad, not great), but I would have liked to see it in IMAX last night.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if Alice will be Disney's first bomb of the year. I think people are getting tired of Johnny Depp's bizarre characters. Too over the top.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if Alice will be Disney's first bomb of the year. I think people are getting tired of Johnny Depp's bizarre characters. Too over the top.
    I think you are right which is too bad because I liked the first one and thought Mad Hatter was one of his last good roles in genre unlike Willie Wonka. I plan to see this one eventually but it's time for Depp to step away for awhile or just do indie style Whitey Bulger type roles and not end up the next Gibson,Cruise, Eddie Murphy that no one wants to see.

Mighty Member

I didn't like Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter the first time. he was one of the worst parts of "Alice". (especially when you compared him to Mia Wasikowska and Christopher Lee. heck, he looked bad compared to Anne Hathaway and Helene Bonham-Carter who both delivered strange, over-the-top performances as well) part of that might have been that I disagreed with how Burton interpreted everything and the bland script... but even so, Depp was one of the least appealing parts of the first "Alice" movie.

when I'd heard that Depp's character would be even more important to the sequel that killed whatever tiny amount of interest I might have had.

I mean, BOTH of these movies are essentially remakes.... it's just a question of which predictable movie appeals to you more.