Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    It was likely mentioned here one of the best suggestions
    As Mercury / Hermes were the visual inspirations for Jay, for Wally West Zephyr(us) as the mythological personification of the West wind.
    Although it's to radical for those who can only cling to him as the Barry derivative replacement and not ever as his own identity.
    Yeah man so get back to me when Barry changes his name.

This line of thought is so fundamentally hypocritical and insulting. Acting like you're doing the character a favor by stealing the identity core to his personality and journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post

This line of thought is so fundamentally hypocritical and insulting. Acting like you're doing the character a favor by stealing the identity core to his personality and journey.
    This is mostly for fun, but also - why not? I know Wally spent significant time as THE Flash, but Robin went on the become Nightwing, Speedy went on to Arsenal -- in a time when it's not about legacy as much as it is seeing if all generations can co-exist, finding a new name might be a genuine consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    I don't think it's been leaked yet, so tell us your choices!

Mercury seemed a popular choice in some threads I saw. I like that one too.

Since his costume is mainly red, maybe he'll go by the Scarlet Speedster?

What do you think?

Not Mercury. The Metal Men would take issue with that.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

doing the character a favor by stealing the identity core to his personality and journey.
    LOL I'd end the whole whine infested schism right now and make Jay and Alan (and Al, Khufu(Carter), Shiera, etc) all the originals the definitive champions of their respective franchise and brand names, giving them all the modern updates as they did and still do with the most successful; Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana.
    All the derivative characters should get their own name and theme!
    Go ahead and start a thread for it!.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Not Mercury. The Metal Men would take issue with that.
    How about just Merc, and give him the over-the-top 90's speed-force energy caduceus wings, staff and blade constructs.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-11-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is mostly for fun, but also - why not? I know Wally spent significant time as THE Flash, but Robin went on the become Nightwing, Speedy went on to Arsenal -- in a time when it's not about legacy as much as it is seeing if all generations can co-exist, finding a new name might be a genuine consideration.
    Because being The Flash is just as important to Wally as being Kid Flash. Moreso, even, if you consider his actual character arc. It's more important to him as a person, the name itself, than it is to Barry. To Barry it was because a character he liked in a comic book with the same powers had the name. If Barry had gotten struck by lightning and suddenly had Kryptonian powers he might've named himself Superman. That's why he's The Flash. And, to a more real point, he has the name because it had instant familiarity to the comic market that made him a more successful, visible character -- something that Wally needed and needs, too. I'm not sure why Barry gets the permanent benefit of a major franchise name and Wally shouldn't get the same benefit.

To Wally it's because his surrogate father died saving the multiverse and it was his job to step in and fill the shoes of one of the greatest men who ever lived and he did so. Being The Flash is so fundamental to Wally that the best Flash story ever is literally about why Wally West is The Flash whether Barry is around or not.

The reason people want Wally to change his name is almost always malicious or coming from people who don't care enough to even be relevant to decisions made on the character (the buying market).

And, finally, your examples. I don't know how in the world you can tout Roy as a good example. Roy has had it very, very, very bad as Arsenal. **** went downhill for him when he stopped calling himself Red Arrow and went back to Arsenal, too. Things weren't so great as Speedy, either (hello drugs!). Nightwing is less successful relative to his predecessor than Wally is to Barry. So even if you think Nightwing is a wild success, it is far less of a success compared to Wally as The Flash. The question should be why Roy and Nightwing didn't take over for their mentors on an intended as permanent basis to emulate Wally's success, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL I'd end the whole whine infested schism right now and make Jay and Alan (and Al, Khufu(Carter), Shiera, etc) all the originals the definitive champions of their respective franchise and brand names, giving them all the modern updates as they did and still do with the most successful; Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana.
    All the derivative characters should get their own name and theme!
    If you're super hardline that no characters should share mantles then that brings up the concept of retiring, killing, or renaming everyone.

There have been other people who called themselves Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. If not on a long term basis, but it happens plenty. If everyone had to get their own name then you would've missed out on a ton of great stories, too, for something trivial.
    Last edited by Dred; 03-11-2020 at 12:05 PM.

I don't remember the last time a comic character successfully benefited from a codename change. Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, I guess?

Shazam because they didn't have any choice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't remember the last time a comic character successfully benefited from a codename change. Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, I guess?

Shazam because they didn't have any choice.
    And that Carol example is...her stepping into a mantle as a legacy character.

Billy is not more popular as Shazam than he was as Captain Marvel.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I don't remember the last time a comic character successfully benefited from a codename change.
    Which is why, regardless of what you hear about how great a particular character is, a popular codename is far more important for his or her success.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

And that Carol example is...her stepping into a mantle as a legacy character.

Billy is not more popular as Shazam than he was as Captain Marvel.
    Well, I'd say it's more arguable after the movie but I don't think "Shazam" is as strong a name as Captain Marvel.

Even the movie made fun of how impractical it is as a codename when it's the transformation phrase.

Well, I'd say it's more arguable after the movie but I don't think "Shazam" is as strong a name as Captain Marvel.

Even the movie made fun of how impractical it is as a codename when it's the transformation phrase.
    It does put Billy in a Mxyzptlk situation.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It does put Billy in a Mxyzptlk situation.
    Which is kind of stupid when you think about it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Maybe Billy could call himself CM1. That would be an absolutely not at all stupid name.

How about Streak.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    How about Streak.
    That'd be a bad name considering he's The Flash.

Also, well, the poop stain comments write themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    How about Streak.
    I think this was his pre-Flash name on the TV show. Barry was in a rush to make sure it didn't stick .