Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Read current books that don't rely on other books to tell stories. Basically all I regularly read now in the big two are The Silver Surfer and Moon Knight (I know I'm missing out on some others that I'd probably like though). They aren't pushing agendas, aren't really convoluting continuity, they are telling contained interesting stories with interesting art. I already own pretty much every back issue I've ever wanted, so that's not really a big deal for me (though I do go back and read stories I like every so often).

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Read current books that don't rely on other books to tell stories. Basically all I regularly read now in the big two are The Silver Surfer and Moon Knight (I know I'm missing out on some others that I'd probably like though). They aren't pushing agendas, aren't really convoluting continuity, they are telling contained interesting stories with interesting art. I already own pretty much every back issue I've ever wanted, so that's not really a big deal for me (though I do go back and read stories I like every so often).
    This exactly. The only Marvel book I read is Moon Knight, and part of the reason why is it's self-contained. It tells a story, and doesn't need to rely on shock moments or publicity stunts to be interesting. I don't need to read Spiderman and 26 Avengers books to get the whole story. If more people supported books like this, I don't believe we would be having this conversation.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

The business model for superhero comics is, in my opinion, flawed and it's hard to commit to buying a title that has an excellent chance of being cancelled in 6-12 issues. Not to mention how the companies treat the source material, with decompressed storytelling and a lack of continuity (for the most part). It's also perfectly understandable that creators essentially refuse to create new characters and concepts since they'll relinquish ownership rights off the bat. And because the characters are treated as perpetual IP's, there's zero incentive for Marvel, let's say, to allow for evolution of their characters (aging, dying, etc.).

I've not read monthlies in quite some time and I'm personally not sure if I will go back, especially to superhero comics because nothing will ever really change. Spider-Man will always be a struggling dorky teenager, Thor will always have to prove his worthiness for Mjolnir, Bruce Banner will always get angry and turn into a savage beast, etc. I personally feel I may be better served just enjoying the numerous amount of classic back issues I have from time to time. Perhaps I wouldn't mind trying out some self-contained TPB or graphic novels here and there but that's about it.

I'll be reading:
    Ragnarok
    Hellboy in Hell
    Elfquest: The Final Quest
    Astro City
    The Shadow Glass
    Velvet
    Micronauts
    ROM
    X-Files
    Pre year 2000 back issues
    Anything by Jim Starlin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    The business model for superhero comics is, in my opinion, flawed and it's hard to commit to buying a title that has an excellent chance of being cancelled in 6-12 issues. Not to mention how the companies treat the source material, with decompressed storytelling and a lack of continuity (for the most part). It's also perfectly understandable that creators essentially refuse to create new characters and concepts since they'll relinquish ownership rights off the bat. And because the characters are treated as perpetual IP's, there's zero incentive for Marvel, let's say, to allow for evolution of their characters (aging, dying, etc.).
    Unfortunately, this sums it up for me. There's a fair amount of good work out there, but the so-called 'seasonal format' that Marvel is trying to adopt doesn't lend itself to long runs, which is what I like.

As for what I'm doing, I'm shrinking my pull list gradually and just reading a lot more literature.

I've started to collect old trades for series I really enjoyed. Almost done collecting K&Y's NXM and intend to get their X-Force for sure, as well as all of the Secret Six trades and All New X-Factor for starters. There's really only two Marvel books I get a lot of enjoyment out of right now: All New Wolverine and Spiderman/Deadpool. The state of Marvel right now is pretty terrible.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm in the process of re-reading Byrne's Fantastic Four and Avengers runs.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I waited till Darkseid War wrapped and once Rebirth launched before leaving DC.

I was thinking about sticking around for ANAD Marvel, but I just can't do it anymore. There are plenty of TPB, Hardcovers, Epic Collections and Omnibuses of yesteryear comics I'd love to read though. Those I know. Those make sense to me. Secret Wars 2015 and Avengers Time Runs collected editions will be the last new volumes I'll be buying from Marvel for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm in the process of re-reading Byrne's Fantastic Four and Avengers runs.
    You sir, have the right idea. I read Byrne's FF run last year and I'm waiting for his West Coast Avengers omnibus to hit the shelves this summer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    What are they advertising? That all their titles are just the same as they were last month? Nope.
    They're advertising basically a new season of books. Some new titles, some new #1s, some new arcs and creative teams. A shared banner across the line just helps to draw attention to this.

The problem is simple - the current crop of Marvel titles really are not very good. I started reading Comic Books in 1966, and have always been a huge fan, but the past decade or so has really been a huge let down (at least from Marvel and DC). It appears that DC is at least acknowledging the problem and is actually TRYING to set things aright - hopefully their plan will be successful and Marvel will ci=opy this move (if it works, fingers crossed!).

Best current example - I was very excited to pick up the new Captain America # 1 - and then I got to he "twist" - and I was repulsed, absolutely disgusted. I had planned ot add this book to my subscriptions, but no way, no how now. Marvel MUST get their stuff together and tell good stories again, or their comics publishing arm is going to wither and die even more quickly. Hire some writers who actually know the history of the characters, and let them tell good stories again. It should not be that complicated, but I guess so far, I am mistaken.

Incredible Member

I have been a Marvel fan for years and in my opinion anyway, ANAD is the worst relaunch they have had so far. They launched so many books and do not have the talent to support them resulting in mediocrity. There are a few books that I do like and will continue to support them, but my Marvel pull list has shrunk considerably. It is ok though, I have been finding a lot of great books from companies like Image and Valiant. Also, like many on this thread have posted, I have been re-reading a lot of older runs and my back issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by graviton View Post
    The problem is simple - the current crop of Marvel titles really are not very good. I started reading Comic Books in 1966, and have always been a huge fan, but the past decade or so has really been a huge let down (at least from Marvel and DC). It appears that DC is at least acknowledging the problem and is actually TRYING to set things aright - hopefully their plan will be successful and Marvel will ci=opy this move (if it works, fingers crossed!).

Best current example - I was very excited to pick up the new Captain America # 1 - and then I got to he "twist" - and I was repulsed, absolutely disgusted. I had planned ot add this book to my subscriptions, but no way, no how now. Marvel MUST get their stuff together and tell good stories again, or their comics publishing arm is going to wither and die even more quickly. Hire some writers who actually know the history of the characters, and let them tell good stories again. It should not be that complicated, but I guess so far, I am mistaken.
    Marvel IS telling good stories. Captain America #1 was damn good. The twist was meant to be upsetting. Some fans think that all comics should do is serve up the same old comfort food again and again and never shock, surprise or challenge the expectations of the readers. I'm glad Marvel doesn't subscribe to that belief.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Marvel IS telling good stories. Captain America #1 was damn good. The twist was meant to be upsetting. Some fans think that all comics should do is serve up the same old comfort food again and again and never shock, surprise or challenge the expectations of the readers. I'm glad Marvel doesn't subscribe to that belief.
    In a way they do, it sounds reminiscent of Superior Iron Man or Superior Spider-Man. I will be checking it out to see if that is the case or not.

I honestly feel unaffected in this whole thing, because really I only buy TWO books from Marvel, Ms. Marvel and ANAD Avengers, without getting affected by any of this stuff. So for me, as long as Ms. Marvel continues, I stay for the long haul. Something happening to ANADA would be disappointing, but not enough to turn me away.

Empty is thy hand!

I'm filling in gaps on my bookshelf and finishing off my collection. I'm tired of waiting for things to get better at the Big Two, and it's just not gonna happen until they both get new management.