Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Because when he answers, it's a 15-page essay. If he just whatevered as a response, I'd buy that he's over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He'll probably mumble something incoherent while eating toast made with a Watchmen toaster.

On a side note, we're any of the Watchmen actually in the issue of DC Universe Rebirth? I know it was IMPLIED they were, but aside from some dude who called himself "Mr. Oz"; a smiley button with a red stain on it; and people talking off-panel (one of whom was referred to as "Adrian"), did we ever actually see any of the Watchmen?
    Nope. I don't think so.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Astonishing Member

Nope. No direct appearance.

The closest we have is the shadowed hands on the cover and in the issue that are presumably Dr. Manhattan's.

Which my issues with the story aside made for a great opener and tease.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Who really cares at this point? Alan Moore is just the grumpy old weird guy at this point telling kids to get off his lawn.

People on this thread seem to care, at least to the extent in many cases of randomly insulting Alan Moore.

I am genuinely bewildered at what he has done to rile people up so much, other than write critically acclaimed works which have provided great commercial success for his publishers. So he has given a few interviews in which he's issued trenchant criticisms of DC in particular and the industry in general? That could describe about half the posts I've seen on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    The only money he was offered was for the Watchmen movie, which he declined and said to give to the artist, Gibbons. Since the rights never reverted back to Moore, he never got any royalties. Creators don't get royalty checks from their characters since the characters are owned by DC. Only the really big names get royalties like the creators of Superman, and that's only through loopholes in contracts.
    No. Alan Moore himself has publicly stated that he still gets royalty checks for Watchmen. DC has lots of problems, but they have consistently paid royalties for decades now. As I understand it, he only refused the movie money, he cashes the checks for the books because that's his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    People on this thread seem to care, at least to the extent in many cases of randomly insulting Alan Moore.

I am genuinely bewildered at what he has done to rile people up so much, other than write critically acclaimed works which have provided great commercial success for his publishers. So he has given a few interviews in which he's issued trenchant criticisms of DC in particular and the industry in general? That could describe about half the posts I've seen on this forum.
    Not just DC and the industry. He went after Grant Morrison and super hero fans. He attacked everyone here and deserves to be called out for it, not defended just because he can string sentences together

Invincible Member

He will take a massive bong hit

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Not just DC and the industry. He went after Grant Morrison and super hero fans. He attacked everyone here and deserves to be called out for it, not defended just because he can string sentences together
    As I pointed out on the other thread, the comments about Morrison were in the context of Morrison having offered the unsolicited opinion in a Rolling Stone interview that Moore was "obsessed by rape" and featured rape in every one of his works (except Tom Strong).

The comments about super hero fans was an observation about the audience for comic book films, and a rueful concern about to quote, "the ephemera of a previous century squatting on the cultural stage". I can see his comments might annoy people, but I think we should all be robust enough not to be profoundly offended by someone who has written a variety of works, not only in the superhero genre, expressing these kind of remarks.

You can "call him out" if you wish, but I would humbly suggest your wrath is a little exaggerated, and you might wish to consider that the contributions the man has made to comics far outweigh any interviews to which you have evidently chosen to take offence.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Has Alan Moore made a comment about DC:Rebirth? Kind of curious what it would be.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    You can "call him out" if you wish, but I would humbly suggest your wrath is a little exaggerated, and you might wish to consider that the contributions the man has made to comics far outweigh any interviews to which you have evidently chosen to take offence.
    Yes.

"Time Twisters", "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta", "Future Shocks", "Ballad of Halo Jones", a great run on Swamp Thing, some of the great Superman stories, "From Hell", "The Killing Joke", America's Best Comics, a wonderful run on Supreme...and a load of other stuff.

I hope some guys think hard about some of their niggardly comments.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 05-27-2016 at 01:15 PM.

All-New Member

Who cares!!...They're DC's characters, they can do what they want with them.

I would love it if they had done a deal with him, giving Moore back the Wachmen in return for using them here. I can imagine the phone call.

Johns: Hi Mr Moore are you interested in helping us destroy the entire idea of Crisis and continuity obsessive comics?

Moore: Who the hell is this? It is two in the morning.

Johns: Come on, you know you want to help us. It will be like the good old days sticking the knife into Wolfman all over again.

Moore: I told you guys to stop calling me years ago. I am not interested in IP protection insurance.

Johns: No this isn't a sales call. If this works out we will be able to afford to give you Watchmen back, with interest.

Moore: What kind of knife?

The thing I always think back to, to help me remember the hype is not the same as reality, is the Watchmen movie writing process. I think it was Hayter who was on record as saying he made frequent phone calls to Moore when trying to adapt the book to the screen. The way he painted it Moore was very helpful and happy to provide advice. It was only when later, he phoned Moore with exited ideas on how to make a sequel that Moore put the phone down on him.

While I have nothing but respect for Moore's work, (even to the point of enjoying Providence, which feels like a minority opinion) and those that I know that have met him say he is charming, I am still disgusted by the way he treated Laura Sneddon the other year. He can be horrifically grumpy and outright nasty when he chooses to be. He sometimes has a tendency to misdirected righteousness without any care for those he may hurt.

Sure you can suggest he is only grumpy when provoked, but sometimes the provocation is very minor. That recent BBC radio interview where he attacked super hero comics was totally unprovoked IMO. He would fit right in on a comic forum but just as he claims to not read comics he also claims he doesn't read the internet so I am guessing he hasn't posted in this thread yet.