View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Preferred duration of Dick Grayson's Robin career?

In any continuity, Dick Grayson remains the first and longest-tenured Robin. Over the years, however, the duration of Dick's time as Robin has gone up and down. If you were calling the shots, how many years would Dick have served as Robin before becoming Nightwing?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Anywhere from five to seven years would work for me.

6 years with some (8 to 11 mo) occurring in alt dimension/planets where time moves at different pace relative to Earth for all the crazy World's Finest and Blackcasebook adventures.

6-8 years. I like him starting out as Robin when he was 10-12. Becoming Nightwing at 18

Depends on when he starts because if you have him start out when he's 16, you might as well skip forward to Nightwing and forget about him being robin.

The younger he starts and the more time he has as Robin works better for it to be a mantle. For example, in young justice he started at 9 and stopped around 18 so that made Tim's hesitation in stepping in his shoes more palpable.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't really know, but I picked 10+ years because I hate overly continuity nazis concerned about it. He was Robin for a long a** time and for the longest (just like historically). It shouldn't matter how many years specifically, don't worry about it too much. Accept the haziness and uncertainty. Forget this 10 year timeline nonsense and pinning down Bruce's age and breaking Bruce's life up into "Years" like RealBatmanChronology.

And I don't have Bruce as Batman before 25 years old (unlike some who want to deage Bruce or pack stories into his career). It's hard to get the kind of training he got and Bruce wasn't magically supermature in my mind. Bruce was at least 25 when he started and all his stories happened.

The only thing I do with my detailed chronology is put stories and issues before/after each other. No "years," no ages, nothing really firm.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-26-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In any continuity, Dick Grayson remains the first and longest-tenured Robin.
    Small point of order - towards the end of the Pre-Flashpoint continuity, wasn't it stated that Tim had become the longest-serving Robin? I'm sure I remember reading that he'd ended up in the role longer than Dick....

Extraordinary Member

I would probably go with him starting around 12 and becoming Nightwing around 19 (at least 18), it seems the most plausible to me based on the original comics. Starting as Robin at an age of 8-10 seems unrealistic for me.

And I would probaly have Jason and Tim beeing arround the same age and much younger than Dick. The new 52 version with Jason beeing almost Dicks age makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The younger he starts and the more time he has as Robin works better for it to be a mantle. For example, in young justice he started at 9 and stopped around 18 so that made Tim's hesitation in stepping in his shoes more palpable.
    I'm not a friend of the young justice Time line 9 seems super young. And he ends up much younger than his team mates, and makes him imo to "special" (that also the Reason I don't like that Damian starts at such a lower age in the New 52 than the other Robins).
    And since they squeezed Jason in that time line he had logically to become Nightwing at age arround 16, which seems to young, since becoming Nightwing was usually Dick becoming Independent from Batman which imo doesn't really works if he is till a minor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Small point of order - towards the end of the Pre-Flashpoint continuity, wasn't it stated that Tim had become the longest-serving Robin? I'm sure I remember reading that he'd ended up in the role longer than Dick....
    It is a little bit complicated.

Tim started at 13 and was roughly 17 when he started as Red Robin, but in universe there more time than these 4 years passed by.

In the Comics Dick starting age varies in between 6 and 12 (8 and 12 are the most common ages), while the official Time lines imply something between 13 and 15, and he was usually 18-19 when he became Nightwing.

More detailed information you can find here.

You can't reasonably have a youngish Batman who is in his 30s if you are going to spread out all the Robins across 5-10 years of his career. If went about it like that Bruce would be in his late 40s-50s
    Dick should be about 14-15 when he's Robin
    He does the job for 4 years at most
    Jason starts at 17
    Jason is Robin for 1 year and is then killed
    Tim is 15
    Tim has been a robin for a few months

Damian
    Whatever age under Tim
    few months as Robin

Streamline the history to accommodate more than one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    You can't reasonably have a youngish Batman who is in his 30s if you are going to spread out all the Robins across 5-10 years of his career. If went about it like that Bruce would be in his late 40s-50s
    Dick should be about 14-15 when he's Robin
    He does the job for 4 years at most
    Jason starts at 17
    Jason is Robin for 1 year and is then killed
    Tim is 15
    Tim has been a robin for a few months

Damian
    Whatever age under Tim
    few months as Robin

Streamline the history to accommodate more than one character.
    They tried that with the New 52 and it back fired and led to confusion. In the early 40's stories Dick stayed at home most of the time only sneaking out or being a back-up in a disguise before around 47's he was in high school operating in more freely doing his own small cases and them joining Batman on occasion. By the 70's he was transitioning from high school to college teaming with the Titans and getting called up to teaming with Batman on occasion. It is when the New Teen Titans start is when he starts to operate completely independent so Dick being Robin for at the least 6 years starting at the age of 12 or 10 years starting at 8 makes the most sense with the Jason Todd and Tim Drake's time being closer together since Jason was introduced twice with the first as a carbon copy of Dick Grayson & the alleged time from Jason's death to Tim's Introduction being less than a year.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I went with about 8. I think he should start at 13 at the earliest, which is already ridiculous enough, but easier to process than him being 8. Growing up with B:TAS, Dick being college aged when working with Batman as Robin seems natural to me, so there should be time for that dynamic to be present. I don't like him becoming Nightwing as soon as he hits 18. I think he should give up the mantle between the ages of 19-21, with the early New Teen Titans adventures happening in that period.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-26-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Dick: 9-17, so 8 years.

Dick doesn't have to start streetfighting right away, but I very much feel Young Justice had it right with Bruce seeing his own young self in Dick's situation and wanting to give Dick the chance to see justice done for his family that he never did, rather then let it scar him at a preteen age.

Yeah, 6-8 feels right. He should have been close to 10 (maybe bump it up to 12 if you have to) when he became Robin and then left to become Nightwing at around 18. He needs to have been with Bruce long enough to form a really close bond. Plus he is the "Boy Wonder". He has to be Robin before he was a teen in my opinion for that title to still work. Him becoming Robin at 16 sort of doesn't work.

Spectacular Member

6+ years.

put him in the field around 15.

Nightwing at 21.

If Batman is putting him the field at 9 is psychotic. Seriously you can't trust a goddam nine year old with your back.

14/15, he's still a kid. 13 if you must. Also he's grown enough that a punch'll actually stick.