View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    6-8 years. I like him starting out as Robin when he was 10-12. Becoming Nightwing at 18
    I'm of this opinion as well. I feel like his tenure should be the longest with Tim just under him.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    I think between his "criminal past", his attitude, his tragic death and the later depictions one just remembers him as being older than he is. (there may even be a psychological factor where him dying as a 14/15 years old is more acceptable than him dying as 12/13- which really isnt). Another factor is probably Tim being Robin at 13, and Jason being the "older" Robin one just automatically adds a year to him too.. Whether he is 12 or 14 makes no big difference to me personally so fine to accept him as 12... But this is supposed to be what we "personally" see the ages and years etc as, so normal that at points it differs from DC...
    Plus it's easier for readers to accept the Jason's solely responsible for his death story when he dies at 15(ish) instead of 12/13. Doesn't exactly make the fam look so good if they constantly blamed a thirteen year old for getting murdered (not that 15 is much better but it doesn't sound as bad).

Incredible Member

I would like something like Bruce, at age 26; adopts Dick at like 13, tells him he is Batman at like 14, trains him until 16 and lets him actually come along at 16.
    Dick becomes nightwing at 21.

Jason at age 18 meets Batman (now 35) and instantly becomes Robin, and dies age 19. He didn't have as good training as Bruce couldn't cope with having lost Dick and wanted a replacement too fast.

Batman goes mental with bereavment for about 6 months, when he meets Tim (16 years old). It takes 6 months until he lets Tim but on the costume. He then lets him train as Robin but out of the field, for two solid years before letting him out, and Tim is Robin for about 5 years.

Then in a really crazy year, Jason comes back from the dead in January when Batman is 40 and in December, Damian arrives.

Retired

The thing is Dick appeared alongside Bruce from 1940 to 1970, before he graduated from high school (at which point we assume he's about 18). But for most of those 30 years, he looked almost the same. His look only really changed very much in 1964 with the "New Look." He could have been around 16 years old for most of that time--given he was supposed to be a legal driver and could drive the Batmobile. But because that partnership with Batman is the classic duo and is so important to the legend, we want to give Dick as much time with Bruce as is possible. So we've backdated when he first teamed up with Bruce to give him that time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing is Dick appeared alongside Bruce from 1940 to 1970, before he graduated from high school (at which point we assume he's about 18). But for most of those 30 years, he looked almost the same. His look only really changed very much in 1964 with the "New Look." He could have been around 16 years old for most of that time--given he was supposed to be a legal driver and could drive the Batmobile. But because that partnership with Batman is the classic duo and is so important to the legend, we want to give Dick as much time with Bruce as is possible. So we've backdated when he first teamed up with Bruce to give him that time.
    His official ages in the comics were (without retcons) roghly like that.
    His age in his first appearances in not really clear, he was shown to be around 15 in his solo stories in star spangled Comics in the late 40s, and stayed roughly that age untill the mid to late 60s, the he aged quite rapidly to 18 and stayed that age till the early 80s, he was 19 when he became Nightwing, 20 during COIE, roughly 21 when Jason died and Tim appeared, and 23 when the Titans came back together after the Technis Imperative thing, and 26 or 27 after One Year Later.

BANNED

He's older than Alfred now, I think.

Extraordinary Member

Btw. I also find it wired how they handled the ages of the Robins in the Titans streaming shows.

The actor they casted to plays Jason is almost 7 years older than the one who plays Dick in the Flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    He's older than Alfred now, I think.
    Dick has always been older than Alfred, he was created before him after all.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Dick has always been older than Alfred, he was created before him after all.
    Are Superman and Batman the only heroes older than Dick?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Are Superman and Batman the only heroes older than Dick?
    There are.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Plus it's easier for readers to accept the Jason's solely responsible for his death story when he dies at 15(ish) instead of 12/13. Doesn't exactly make the fam look so good if they constantly blamed a thirteen year old for getting murdered (not that 15 is much better but it doesn't sound as bad).
    Huh? I know you said 15 doesn't sound as bad, but 15 is still a kid to people, since most places in the US 15 is still a minor. I came into comic books thinking he died at 15 currently (is that not the case now?). Still, no reader should ever accept Jason as responsible for his death whether he's 12, 15, or even 18.

---

Most of this I'm kinda basing off my time watching the cartoons, so I'm of the opinion Dick's robin tenure should be 6-8 years, depending. He's 18 when he's done.
    Last edited by Lirica; 03-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Huh? I know you said 15 doesn't sound as bad, but 15 is still a kid to people, since most places in the US 15 is still a minor. I came into comic books thinking he died at 15 currently (is that not the case now?). Still, no reader should ever accept Jason as responsible for his death whether he's 12, 15, or even 18.

---

Most of this I'm kinda basing off my time watching the cartoons, so I'm of the opinion Dick's robin tenure should be 6-8 years, depending. He's 18 when he's done.
    Of course 15 still makes him a child and no child should ever be blamed for a premature death. My point is that all the time the Batfam spent blaming Jason for his death comes across marginally better when Jason’s presented as being a teenager instead of dying as child. That’s it, never said it was the right way to handle his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Of course 15 still makes him a child and no child should ever be blamed for a premature death. My point is that all the time the Batfam spent blaming Jason for his death comes across marginally better when Jason’s presented as being a teenager instead of dying as child. That’s it, never said it was the right way to handle his death.
    Oh, I misinterpreted you then. Sorry about that!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    I came into comic books thinking he died at 15 currently (is that not the case now?).
    Pre flashpoint the age he died was never really stated in the comics. "Age 15" comes fro a book named "The Batman Files" but i wouldn't really count that as canon. Actually they also never really stated that age he became Robin in that continuity, but it was clearly much younger than 15.

In the new 52 he became Robin at 16, and died at 16 or 17, and in Rebirth it is not really clear.

Btw. I'm ok whit Jason becoming Robin at 15 when they also raise the starting ages of the other Robins, even if I think his whole father son realtion Bruce makes more sense if he starts younger. But I really don't like if his starting age is made much higher than the that of the other Robins.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't think you can really go by the whole "Dick was driving the Batmobile around, so he must've been at least 16". The Earth-2/Golden Age Robin drove the Batmobile when he was 15. I don't think it really means anything. Anyway, like I said, ignoring the Golden Age Robin it seems like he was supposed to be anywhere from his pre-teens to his early teens before the Teen Titans debuted, then officially became a teenager when the Teen Titans were formed, and then went off to college. Dick did age over time, just really really slowly.
    Last edited by FS7; 03-12-2019 at 01:10 PM.