View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Nightwing in itself was him doing something new.

Fantastic Member

Doesnt change that Nightwing was just a name for DC to **** on now. I liked the concept, but that's all it is. A concept. Nightwing has nothing new to call his own. Even when you count bludhaven it was him trying to do the same thing Batman did when Batman was street level, and both Golden Age and 70s Dick has done before. And in-universe, Dick himself stated everything he had is because Robin and Bruce. Out of all Robins, he was the only one who would be more miserable if hadnt met Bruce. Why do you think Tim was so favored over Dick? Robin and Batman.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 07-21-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I agree. I picked up two Nightwing series but turned out not really that interested aside from certain story arcs, and I'm not even that interested in picking up the original, mainly because of the art style, but also because of the setup.

So far the Nightwing I enjoy most is when he interacts with Batman or Damian. So if they're making a Batman/Nightwing series or Nightwing/Robin series, I would instantly be interested.

Plot-wise I like the globetrotting Nightwing or Grayson more than Bludhaven Nightwing because the setup means he's just doing the same thing as Batman. I don't even pick Green Arrow because my impression was it's not that different than Batman.

At the very least I want Haly's Circus back as a setting. I'm interested in that too.

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    Doesnt change that Nightwing was just a name for DC to **** on now. I liked the concept, but that's all it is. A concept. Nightwing has nothing new to call his own. Even when you count bludhaven it was him trying to do the same thing Batman did when Batman was street level, and both Golden Age and 70s Dick has done before. And in-universe, Dick himself stated everything he had is because Robin and Bruce. Out of all Robins, he was the only one who would be more miserable if hadnt met Bruce. Why do you think Tim was so favored over Dick? Robin and Batman.
    And what is Robin currently doing exactly?
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-21-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Fantastic Member

Irrelevant. The point is Dicks tenure as Robin is the most important and holds the most impact on him and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    "Build the name up"? "Build a name for himself", fine, but Dick and Tim already more than "built up" the Robin name as team leader and solo hero, respectively.
    Yes, build the name up. Obviously, Dick and Tim did not do an adequate enough job then. Damian has the chance to cement it as his codename and not just something to be passed around for people to look down on as a "sidekick". I think he's doing that right now he just has to keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    I voted for 6 years as Robin. My head cannon:

Dick is currently 26 years old

The Flying Grayons fell to their deaths 14 years ago, Dick age 12

Dick became Robin 13 years ago, at age 13 (he's been doing the "super-hero thing" for half of his life now)

He was Robin for 6 years, became Nightwing at age 19, 7 years ago

Filled in for Bruce in the Prodigal storyline at around 21/22 years old

Moved to Bludhaven around 22/23 years old

At age 25, became Batman after Bruce "died" in Final Crisis.

Current age 26
    I still agree with the above quote that I myself posted on 05-31-2016, but I feel like another year of continuity has taken place since then. So for my personal head canon, add one year to above timeline. Dick still spent 6 years as Robin. But his current age in my mind is now up to 27. As far as him being "Ric" now, I've been a comics reader long enough to know nothing is permanent. I don't expect that status quo to last much longer in the grand scheme.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

NOTE: This thread was originally started back in late May of 2016.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

With 147 votes at present,
    * 6 years = 54 votes
    * 8 years = 48 votes
    * 4 years = 23 votes
    * 10+ years = 19 votes
    * 1 to 2 years = just 3 votes

The one that timeline that adds up to the other characters is when he became Robin at 12 and Nightwing at 19. So at least 6.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The one that timeline that adds up to the other characters is when he became Robin at 12 and Nightwing at 19. So at least 6.
    Yeah, I've always felt this makes the most sense overall.

I've always been under the impression that Dick was Robin for about 6-7 years. He was 12 when he got adopted by Bruce and about 18 when he struck out on his own to become Nightwing.

Am I right or wrong in thinking that? Is there any canonical series that states otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    I've always been under the impression that Dick was Robin for about 6-7 years. He was 12 when he got adopted by Bruce and about 18 when he struck out on his own to become Nightwing.

Am I right or wrong in thinking that? Is there any canonical series that states otherwise.
    In 87 he lost his parents at 10
    In other times, to make it parallel to Bruce, he lost them at 8
    Originally he went to college at 18, but didn't actually became Nightwing until more than a year later in story. He was still Robin for a decade of publication.
    So it can go to more than 10 years

Extraordinary Member

You can iirc find ages from 6 to 16 in the comics.

What makes imo the most sense and fits best with the comics that are actually set at the beginning of his careerer is that he was 11-12 when his parents died and 12-13 when he became Robin.

A younger age is simply impossible due to Tim's origin story and the age gap between them.

Grr... Nightwing's next issue (preview here) has a flashback to when he was fired by Bruce as Robin at 18. Why the hell is that still canon? The original story of him choosing to let Jason be Robin and then taking on the Nightwing identity at age 19 should've reasserted itself.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I think it makes sense for him to be 18 when he leaves home. I kind of prefer the post-Crisis version where he is 12 or 13 when he comes to stay with Bruce too. At any rate, Dick's "firing" and early days as Nightwing have been retconned to hell and back at least a dozen times now. I'm pretty sure there will never, ever be a definitive version.