View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Unfortunately, DC won't hire us as consultants. Imagine being paid to track all this!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Isnt that a big part of what editors are supposed to do? I feel like at least a few editors (like Carlin maybe?) made their names from being able to keep all the continuity details straight.

You really would think there'd be an assistant editor or someone out there who's only job is to ensure scripts line up with whatever the current version of stories are.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FS7 View Post
    It sure seems to me like Dick was drawn one way before Teen Titans and was aged up once they became a thing.
    i'm not sure if that had to do with the Teen Titans. Batman and Robin just got a "new look" in the mid 60's. Around then same time, they started to make the comics more serious again, and got rid of most of the goofy stuff from the early silver age.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Not enough money in the world to pay us for that much useless work! We'd feel like hamsters running around a wheel in a cage.
    I enjoyed collecting all the info about, the ages of the Batfamily.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Anywhere from five to seven years would work for me.
    I would agree leaning more closely to 5 than 7. Just enough experience to make his skill as Nightwing legitimate, but not enough for him to become too stuck in the role.

6 to 9 years. I like Dick starting at 10-13 years of age, and continuing until 19. He needs to be adult when he leaves Batman. Well, if you want to keep the element (big in post-Crisis, but definitely present in pre-Crisis) that Dick is frustrated because Bruce keeps treating him like a child, when he's grown. Moreover, when he's had almost as much experience as Bruce has (I like him starting 1 to 3 years after Bruce). Bruce is very authoritarian, doesn't share info, and doesn't treat Robin like a full partner. It's understandable, since Dick was a kid when he started, but he isn't a kid anymore and Bruce will never, ever see them as equal partners. Moving this down to when Dick is 16ish makes him a child objecting to being treated as child instead of adult objecting to being treated as child, and I don't like it.

My age list I made a while ago (age everyone up three years now, I guess, since Damian got older). I mostly live in preBoot land.

Alfred Pennyworth - Anywhere from 50 to 70. A huge range, but I like both the latter post-Crisis/Batman Begins version where he raised Bruce and the Golden Age where he met Bruce when Bruce was an adult, and Dick already lived with him. I both like it for Bruce not having that loving presence in his childhood and that parlaying nicely into his post-Crisis inability to get past his parents’ deaths and emotional isolation and for the idea that when Bruce took Dick in, he expected he would be the doing the raising and the work and rather than foisting it off on someone else.

Bruce Wayne - 39-41. I tend to think of Batman as 26-28 when he took in a 10-to-12-year-old Dick Grayson (within two years of becoming Batman). But I’m okay with Dick being as young as 8 becoming Robin and with Bruce still being 26-28 at that time, so he could be up to 45. For a "current" Bruce, I definitely like him old enough to no longer be a young man.

Dick Grayson - 25/26. Because he was 7 years older than Jason in early post-Crisis appearances and that works well for me, and I like him growing up and I think it works well with him playing surrogate father to Damian for a bit. His age gap with Jason is one of the more important ones if operating in post-Crisis continuity. He needs to be at least 18 so he can leave home before Jason ever comes to Wayne manor.

Cassandra Cain - 19. I haven’t read much with her, but thought she was 2 years older than Tim.

Jason Todd - 18/19. Because before he was retconned to 15 when he died, it seemed quite likely he was 6 to 18 months older than Tim. But that's kinda iffy since he was in 7th grade in the annual (A student, so didn't' fail) shortly before he died, but Dick may have aged 3 years since leaving Robin (dialog with Roy when Roy got Lian) and Jason wasn't 9 when Bruce met him.

Tim Drake - 17. He was my base character to set relative ages by.

Damian Wayne - 10. Because he seemed that around that age when he was introduced.

Selina Kyle - 37-39. Because that seemed a good age for her, relative to Batman, when she was introduced in the Golden Age. She wasn’t a kid, and I have him 26 so made her a peer. Knocked her down a couple years from him because I’ve seen her younger than him in other versions. Up to 45ish is okay if Bruce is, too. I just need her be close to Bruce in age and definitely already and adult when Robin arrives on the scene (prefer Robin barely pre-dating her, as with Golden Age).

Barbara Gordon - 29-32. 1975 had Barbara 7 years older than Dick. New 52 and a couple cartons made them the same age. I prefer her a few years older than Dick, them not dating in high school, but having a flirtation when he was in college (as they did in Batman Family comics in ‘70s), then dating when Dick is 23ish. I didn’t really want them in high school at the same time. I prefer the Silver Age version where she is on more equal footing with Batman and Robin - they don’t know her secret identity and she doesn’t know theirs. She was not trained by Batman. She was not subordinate to Batman, but was her own hero. I like her being out of high school before she takes on the cowl so she and Batman interact as fellow adults, peers.

Stephanie Brown - 17. Because she was the same as Tim throughout the bulk of the 6 years worth of Robin issues I read with her.

Helena Kyle - 1. Because I wish Selina’d never given her up for adoption, and she was talking by then, so 1.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.

I don't really think I'd comfortably vote for anything over 5 years. I guess it ultimately most depends on how long the current status quo has Bruce being active as Batman. I'd personally want to keep as many Robins in the universe as possible, and outside of Stephanie, I wouldn't imagine any of them spending less than a year as Robin.

Astonishing Member

In my own timelines I made up in my head, N52 universe and on 4 years. Before that 6. And to my surprise, in the Rebirth Special that came out way back when, Wally (or somebody) said that 10 years had been removed from their timeline. And when I do the math for both my N52 and pre 52 timelines, there's a 9 year difference, so I'm kinda surprised by just how close I am to DC on this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    6-8 years. I like him starting out as Robin when he was 10-12. Becoming Nightwing at 18
    Same here.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    6 to 9 years. I like Dick starting at 10-13 years of age, and continuing until 19. He needs to be adult when he leaves Batman. Well, if you want to keep the element (big in post-Crisis, but definitely present in pre-Crisis) that Dick is frustrated because Bruce keeps treating him like a child, when he's grown. Moreover, when he's had almost as much experience as Bruce has (I like him starting 1 to 3 years after Bruce). Bruce is very authoritarian, doesn't share info, and doesn't treat Robin like a full partner. It's understandable, since Dick was a kid when he started, but he isn't a kid anymore and Bruce will never, ever see them as equal partners. Moving this down to when Dick is 16ish makes him a child objecting to being treated as child instead of adult objecting to being treated as child, and I don't like it.

My age list I made a while ago (age everyone up three years now, I guess, since Damian got older). I mostly live in preBoot land.

Alfred Pennyworth - Anywhere from 50 to 70. A huge range, but I like both the latter post-Crisis/Batman Begins version where he raised Bruce and the Golden Age where he met Bruce when Bruce was an adult, and Dick already lived with him. I both like it for Bruce not having that loving presence in his childhood and that parlaying nicely into his post-Crisis inability to get past his parents’ deaths and emotional isolation and for the idea that when Bruce took Dick in, he expected he would be the doing the raising and the work and rather than foisting it off on someone else.

Bruce Wayne - 39-41. I tend to think of Batman as 26-28 when he took in a 10-to-12-year-old Dick Grayson (within two years of becoming Batman). But I’m okay with Dick being as young as 8 becoming Robin and with Bruce still being 26-28 at that time, so he could be up to 45. For a "current" Bruce, I definitely like him old enough to no longer be a young man.

Dick Grayson - 25/26. Because he was 7 years older than Jason in early post-Crisis appearances and that works well for me, and I like him growing up and I think it works well with him playing surrogate father to Damian for a bit. His age gap with Jason is one of the more important ones if operating in post-Crisis continuity. He needs to be at least 18 so he can leave home before Jason ever comes to Wayne manor.

Cassandra Cain - 19. I haven’t read much with her, but thought she was 2 years older than Tim.

Jason Todd - 18/19. Because before he was retconned to 15 when he died, it seemed quite likely he was 6 to 18 months older than Tim. But that's kinda iffy since he was in 7th grade in the annual (A student, so didn't' fail) shortly before he died, but Dick may have aged 3 years since leaving Robin (dialog with Roy when Roy got Lian) and Jason wasn't 9 when Bruce met him.

Tim Drake - 17. He was my base character to set relative ages by.

Damian Wayne - 10. Because he seemed that around that age when he was introduced.

Selina Kyle - 37-39. Because that seemed a good age for her, relative to Batman, when she was introduced in the Golden Age. She wasn’t a kid, and I have him 26 so made her a peer. Knocked her down a couple years from him because I’ve seen her younger than him in other versions. Up to 45ish is okay if Bruce is, too. I just need her be close to Bruce in age and definitely already and adult when Robin arrives on the scene (prefer Robin barely pre-dating her, as with Golden Age).

Barbara Gordon - 29-32. 1975 had Barbara 7 years older than Dick. New 52 and a couple cartons made them the same age. I prefer her a few years older than Dick, them not dating in high school, but having a flirtation when he was in college (as they did in Batman Family comics in ‘70s), then dating when Dick is 23ish. I didn’t really want them in high school at the same time. I prefer the Silver Age version where she is on more equal footing with Batman and Robin - they don’t know her secret identity and she doesn’t know theirs. She was not trained by Batman. She was not subordinate to Batman, but was her own hero. I like her being out of high school before she takes on the cowl so she and Batman interact as fellow adults, peers.

Stephanie Brown - 17. Because she was the same as Tim throughout the bulk of the 6 years worth of Robin issues I read with her.

Helena Kyle - 1. Because I wish Selina’d never given her up for adoption, and she was talking by then, so 1.
    Most things I've seen had Jason about 2 years older than Tim. Pre-Flashpoint at least. After, it seems Jason was aged up closer to Dick.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Not sure where get the 6 and 18 Month from, Tim is born iirc in June or July and Jason August.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Most things I've seen had Jason about 2 years older than Tim.
    The comics from the 2000s imply that he is 2 years older, if you go by the comics from the 80s it looks more like he is only 1 year older or even the same age as Tim.

Not sure where get the 6 and 18 Month from, Tim is born iirc in June or July and Jason August.
    Just using general '80s vibes of their ages you mentioned later. I tend to forget actual birthdays. I remember Clark's because it's (sometimes) leap day. Sometimes Jason's from tombstone. And that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

The comics from the 2000s imply that he is 2 years older, if you go by the comics from the 80s it looks more like he is only 1 year older or even the same age as Tim.
    So jason is at the most 18? since Tim is 16. Lol DC continuity is trash.

If he starts as Robin with 9 years... I think that make him Nightwing with 15 is fine for me..

6 YEARS AS ROBIN IS MORE THAN ENOUGH

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    So jason is at the most 18? since Tim is 16. Lol DC continuity is trash.
    Tim's current ages makes anyway no sense. Afaik it is still canon that Damian started as Robin at age 10 and is now 13.

Based on that Tim (who started as Robin at the age of 13) and Damian would have started as Robin around the same time.

When it comes to Jason's age, based on the comics from the 80s Jason should imo only one year older than Tim and 7 years younger than Dick (that's most consistent with the overall timeline).

Jason being 2 years older than Tim is already hard to justify.
    That would only be possible with one of the following options:
    - Jason was Robin for 3 years (2 years is more consistent with the overall timeline)
    - Jason was 13 when he became Robin (but there are references for him being 12 as Robin)
    - "A Lonely Place of Dying" was set a year after "Death in the Family" (but in the comics it is said that it is set only a few month later)

It is actually easier to justify Jason and Tim being the same age, since that would only require Jason to be 11 when he becomes Robin, and that is not contradicting anything (and works for some post crisis references even better than him starting at age 12).

Tim's current ages makes anyway no sense.
    I didn't know he was 16. I thought he'd aged up a bit with Damian. Not quite as much, but some. I haven't been reading, but did know he and Steph claimed to headed to a college (rather than visit or something), so I just assumed he was 18 and pretending to go start college. Yeesh. I really should pay more attention.