View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Depends on how long the timeline is and what age you start him at.

I like 5 years with him starting at 16. Maybe 15.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Doesn't look like anybody here wants to support the idea of Dick's Robin career lasting only a year or two.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

In my head canon years (and time) are way different in superhero comics than real life so I don't really care

I like a long tenure for Dick as Robin, somewhere around 6-8. I don't like ages nailed down perfectly but Dick needs to have been Robin for the longest compared to the others.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    You can't reasonably have a youngish Batman who is in his 30s if you are going to spread out all the Robins across 5-10 years of his career. If went about it like that Bruce would be in his late 40s-50s
    Dick should be about 14-15 when he's Robin
    He does the job for 4 years at most
    Jason starts at 17
    Jason is Robin for 1 year and is then killed
    Tim is 15
    Tim has been a robin for a few months

Damian
    Whatever age under Tim
    few months as Robin

Streamline the history to accommodate more than one character.
    I don't really see why Jason should start at such an high age. His death seems more dramatic to me when he is younger.

BANNED

True but I think him dying due to be reckless works better at an older age. Like screw it, I am almost 18 I can take the Joker. Make him too young and Bruce just lets incompetent even if a kid dying is more dramatic.

I would say 8 years. Start at 10 and becomes 18, he is Nightwing for 5 years and then Grayson.

That's my preference.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    True but I think him dying due to be reckless works better at an older age. Like screw it, I am almost 18 I can take the Joker. Make him too young and Bruce just lets incompetent even if a kid dying is more dramatic.
    Thats the other thing, making him to old goes again in the Jason was incompetent and reckless direction.

Btw. he didn't die because he thought that he could take the Joker on his own, but because his mother lured him into a trap. And the whole thing was partly Bruce fault imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    That`s not why he dies.

Using said scene to pinpoint incompetence either way is just lazy storytelling and something the DC office tried to do for years.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I put 4 years - 2 seems on the short side, but I don't think him being Robin any younger than 14 works now (even that's crazy pushing it), and he should probably be Nightwing by 19-20.
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

I would say 8yrs at least. What made Dick the Legacy character he was is the fact that he was taken at such a young age and trained by Batman to be the best. Bruce orginally groomed him to be his replacement but when Dick got older he wanted to walk his own path. That's what led to them falling out. I felt by limiting his time was Robin DC effectively lowered Dick's status and potential skill level. When you start doing something at 10 or 12 your ceiling is usually higher than if you start at say 16.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

8-10 years, maybe more. He was Robin for a long time.

Dick is in his late 20s.

I opted for 10+, though I'd be equally happy with 8. I do rather like the way that his relationship with Bruce started as father-son and then gradually evolved through student-mentor to peers, equals and brothers as Dick aged though, so to my way of thinking he should always have been brought in when he was a pre-teen.

And, pre-New 52 at least, he went to college for long enough to decide that he wanted to do criminology as a hands-on activity more than he wanted the academic study of it, so I'd put him at an age where he could plausibly have done a year of college before he became Nightwing. The dropping out of college came first, and was a symptom of the unsettled state that led to his evolution from Robin.

My favorite version of Robin was either the 80's Titans version or the 70's teen Wonder version. I think he shouldn't be Nightwing until early 20's.

Then again, I kind of wish he was still Robin. What do I know?

Astonishing Member

I think around 6 years is ideal and do-able within a 10-12 year timeline for Batman. Though at minimum it should be 4 years.

Wally claims he became Kid Flash when he was 13 in the Rebirth special. Now while he was technically referring to Pre-52 continuity, it may well be the case in the Rebirth continuity moving forward. If Wally became Kid Flash at 13, I think Dick becoming Robin at 13 is also feasible. And he was Robin till he was 19, at which point he becomes Nightwing.

This way, Dick is still visibly a kid when he becomes Robin and grows up being Robin.