View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

One could get a headache from all this.

How I see it…Dick should’ve been Robin for at least 7 years.
    Age: 12 – Becomes the ward of Bruce Wayne [Age 25 and in his third year as Batman].
    Age: 14 – Meets Wally & Garth when fighting Mr. Twister. Later meets Donna and then Roy to form the original Teen Titans.
    Age: 15 – Fighting crime with Batman and the Teen Titans. Batgirl debuts (18 year old Barbara Gordon).
    Age: 16 – Second year with the Teen Titans. Mal Duncan and Lilith Clay are introduced.
    Age: 17 – Third year with the Teen Titans. Titans West introduced.
    Age: 20 – Retires from Robin and becomes Nightwing. Jason Todd (age 15) becomes the new Robin
    Age: 22 – Graduates from college. Tim Drake (age 14) becomes the third Robin
    Age: 23 – Current age of Dick Grayson. However, in regards to Rebirth, Dick should be a teenager again.

Last edited by Herowatcher; 05-29-2016 at 05:03 AM.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post

Age: 12 – Becomes the ward of Bruce Wayne [Age 25 and in his third year as Batman].
    Age: 14 – Meets Wally & Garth when fighting Mr. Twister. Later meets Donna and then Roy to form the original Teen Titans.
    Age: 15 – Fighting crime with Batman and the Teen Titans. Batgirl debuts (18 year old Barbara Gordon).
    Age: 16 – Second year with the Teen Titans. Mal Duncan and Lilith Clay are introduced.
    Age: 20 – Retires from Robin and becomes Nightwing. Jason Todd (age 15) becomes the new Robin
    Age: 23 – Current age of Dick Grayson. However, in regards to Rebirth, Dick should be a teenager again.
    If we go by the original comics there are some problems with that.
    1. Dick was already in collage when when Mat and Lilith joined the Titans
    2. The Titans disbanded the first time after Mal and Lilith joined and before the Titans West were introduced
    3. Jason was't that old when he became Robin.
    4. Dick never Graduated from college

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    2. The Titans disbanded the first time after Mal and Lilith joined and before the Titans West were introduced
    When you think about it...Ouch!...Time and continuity were more flexible back then.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Also, given that Damian was 10-ish when the New 52 started and is now 13, then either that was time uncompressing for him or everyone else should be 3 years older too. So Dick might well be in his mid 20s now, even without taking the missing time into account. It'd certainly make it easier for him to do the college dropout thing, though he might not remember it.

Extraordinary Member

Dick would have first taken up the mask at 13. His career as Robin would have lasted around five or so years.

And Bruce would have been around 24-25 and in his third year of Batmanning before taking on an apprentice.

I like to think that Dick and Barbara are the same age or she is a year older than him. I don't really like a big age difference between them.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I'd like for him to start as Robin relatively young, if not super-young like at 1age 10, and for his Robin career to at least extend into some of his college years before he becomes Nightwing.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I like the idea of Robin being 9 or 10 years old when his parents are killed being the same age as Bruce was when his own parents are killed. However, the idea of putting a preteen boy against guys like The Joker is beyond insane, so I understand the desire to age him up a bit. However, this is superhero comics, so none of this is in any way logical to begin with, so why draw the line with putting preteens in danger? Given the no doubt obsessive nature of both Dick and Bruce, I think they both realized that there was no way Dick was going to wait, just as young Bruce was probably putting his life in danger. So, he figured if he was going to be going out on the streets putting his life on the life no matter what, he might as well be doing it in high-tech Robin suit under his direct supervision.

And I think Dick goes solo when he's at University for a year, then graduates to being Nightwing at 19 years old, making him Robin for about a decade, give or take a year depending upon how old he was when he started.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Small point of order - towards the end of the Pre-Flashpoint continuity, wasn't it stated that Tim had become the longest-serving Robin? I'm sure I remember reading that he'd ended up in the role longer than Dick....
    I don't see how. He started as Robin when he was 15 and became Red Robin when he was 17–18 — maybe 19 — so his total career as Robin was at most four years. Dick started out as Robin before puberty and was fully grown when he became Nightwing: at least five years (12–17), and more likely eight or nine years (10–18).
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I like to think that Dick and Barbara are the same age or she is a year older than him. I don't really like a big age difference between them.
    I don't think 3 years is that bad. Barbara always felt and acted a little older than Dick to me.

I don't think 3 years is that bad. Barbara always felt and acted a little older than Dick to me.

Eh it's not a thing that's a huge deal to me. The shows always depicted them as the same age so that's how I always viewed them.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Eh it's not a thing that's a huge deal to me. The shows always depicted them as the same age so that's how I always viewed them.
    Originally Barbara was around 7 years older than Dick (and roughly 14 years older than Jason ...).

dickage.jpg

Guys I need help,

I'm thinking of establishing my own head cannon for the fanfiction stories that I write and I want to include all 4 robins however I want to keep Bruce at maximum mid 30s. What I was thinking was Dick started at maybe 13 and was Robin for 6 years maybe 7 so he would be 20 when he becomes Nightwing and after that Jason is a Robin for maybe 18 months which would have dick be 21/22 and then have Tim be Robin for 4 years starting at 14/15 becoming Red Robin at 18/19 and then introduce Daminen with Bruce being somewhere between 35-37. My idea would be 4 generations ( basing it on the Robins) 1st Generation would be Batman with the age being somewhere between 30-37, Generation 2 would be Dick, Barbara Starfire, Raven etc which would be 21-25 Generation 3 would be Tim between 16-19 and Damien 10-13. FYI Green Arrow and the Flash from the CW would be included in the First generation. Ideally I would like something like this Batman 33, Dick 21, Jason 19, Tim 16 and Damien 10 is this doable and believable. So my story would have Dick be reasonable new to Nightwing and Tim would be Robin and end the story with Tim becoming the Red Robin and Damien becoming Robin.
    Last edited by VolcanikTiger86; 05-30-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Truth is the best policy

Originally Barbara was around 7 years older than Dick (and roughly 14 years older than Jason ...).

dickage.jpg
    Yup. She was in Congress (minimum age of 25, that's why they actually gave her an age in that panel) and he was a freshman in college.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post

however I want to keep Bruce at maximum mid 30s.
    Why? People are living longer now and lots of men can keep their youthful looks and peak physical condition later in life. I'll be 40 next year and still get carded everywhere and am in better shape than I was when I was 20.

Check out John E Peterson (fitness author.) He's 60 and would be my first choice for Dark Knight Returns.

http://blog.livingfuel.com/wp-conten...uthorPhoto.jpg