View Poll Results: What is your preferred duration for Dick Grayson's Robin career?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 2 years

6 3.09%
  • 4 years

27 13.92%
  • 6 years

78 40.21%
  • 8 years

60 30.93%
  • 10+ years

23 11.86%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    so which stories do make explicit mention of age in his origin?
    - Secret Origins makes him 11 when he becomes Robin.
    - Robin Year one has him join middle school as the new kid (so probably in grade 7 or 8).
    - In his expanded Silver Age Origin Retlling he is said to be a teenager.

And there is afaik no story that shows him to be in elementary school during his time as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The thing is, that there is afaik no comic where you actually see Dick being Robin at such a young age.

The the age of 8 is only ever mentioned in dialogue, in all comics that show Dick at the beginning of his career as Robin and that give any clear indication about his age he is older.
    The dialogue is all that matters since art don't give specifics and can be misleading. Have you seen Liefeld's Damian? Going by art then Damian was 45 in that title.

I agree with @Oasis's about Dick being a similar age to Bruce at the time his folks died. That is significant. Bruce recognised himself in Dick. Also based on their bond and relationship the two have been together a very long time to build the trust they have. Add to that Reborn and yeah Dick became Robin around 10 and was in the role about 8 years.
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-29-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The dialogue is all that matters since art don't give specifics and can be misleading.
    Yeah but it is dialogue from comics were Dick was arround 19 or even older. Therefore I think that comics that are actually set during Dicks time as Robin like Robin: Year One are a better source, and in those he is usually older if any indication of his age is given.
    Last edited by Aahz; 12-29-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Yeah but it is dialogue from comics were Dick was arround 19 or even older. Therefore I think that comics that are actually set during Dicks time as Robin like Robin: Year One are a better source, and in those he is usually older if any indication of his age is given.
    I don't think it matters what comic his age was stated what matters is how recent the info is. Whatever age they gave us the last time it came up is what it is.
    However this thread is about preferred age not canon age.
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-29-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I don't think it matters what comic his age was stated.
    I think it does, since no one ever wrote a comic with Dick being Robin at that age, and you will also find plenty of comics were they give an older age for him starting as Robin.

In the Titans series on DC Universe, Dick has been Robin for 15 years! They had flashbacks set "15 years ago" right after his parents were killed in the circus, and he appeared to be a pre-teen / young teen at the time. So he is Robin into his mid to late twenties in that universe.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Retired

I voted for 10+

If he becomes Nightwing, then 8 years makes sense to me. He becomes Robin around 12 years old and he becomes Nightwing around 20 years old. But I like a Robin that never became Nightwing. On Earth-Two, he was always Robin. In the Alfred imagined future from the early '60s, he becomes Batman II but he looks to be around 30 by then. So in my ideal continuity, the Batman & Robin duo of Wayne & Grayson continues for a good 10 years and more.

BANNED

Dick started out as Robin so young that Alfred had to dye his diapers green.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Whatever age his parents were killed that's the same age as Bruce's parents were killed to 18 years old.
    No... wait, 19. I want those legs to be legal for at least a year before he covered it up.
    Covered legs costume, 18 is fine.

Voted 8 years

BANNED

I've wondered what Bruce's age was when this happened. He was smoking a pipe back then. Now the courts would have heartburn not only over a single man taking in a child--but that man also being a minor.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I've wondered what Bruce's age was when this happened. He was smoking a pipe back then. Now the courts would have heartburn not only over a single man taking in a child--but that man also being a minor.
    Bob Kane was 25 in 1940 and I always think of Bruce Wayne--with his ascot, smoking jacket and pipe--as Bob's idealized version of himself.

There would be special rules for Bruce Wayne, with all his wealth and social position. So there would have been no impediment to Bruce getting himself a boy that no one cared about, from dead circus folk, and doing what he wanted with the child.

Even now, the courts would probably turn a blind eye if the prospective guardian had all the money in the world and the best legal team.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They... we... can always make the court corrupt or uncaring enough to let that happened. Gotham isn't exactly the ideal city.

Modern depictions put Batman's first year as 25. After that, it's between 1-3 years before Dick shows up.
    Bronze age puts him in 28 when Dick was in Hudson.
    I personally want Bruce to still be around 30s when the rest of the flock appeared because that's the default age I think of the Justice League generation.

So if I'm writing a world where they don't age and the story is forever, the Justice League generation will be 30 something, Dick's generation will be 20 something, Tim is a teen and Damian is a child. So pretty much what they're doing right now in Rebirth is my preferred present age. The start doesn't matter as much as the default age.

BANNED

I would like to think it's around 10 years. Bruce took him in when he was 22 and they broke up lol when he was 32.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Bob Kane was 25 in 1940 and I always think of Bruce Wayne--with his ascot, smoking jacket and pipe--as Bob's idealized version of himself.

There would be special rules for Bruce Wayne, with all his wealth and social position. So there would have been no impediment to Bruce getting himself a boy that no one cared about, from dead circus folk, and doing what he wanted with the child.

Even now, the courts would probably turn a blind eye if the prospective guardian had all the money in the world and the best legal team.
    A lot would depend on how much publicity it got.