Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    All-New Member

Hal Jordan- Read a bunch of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps(starting with Geoff Johns' GL:Rebirth), and came away not really liking Hal but loving Guy Gardner.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo Elf View Post
    Agreed actually, too many of them and the names are ridiculous.
    I have the same problem with LSH. I've tried really hard to like them. Also, I tend to not find any of their futures interesting.

Batman & his entire rogues gallery - except the old TV series; I can take him when he's goofy, but not serious; and the second he starts doing "batgod" things, I start breaking things
    Wonder Woman - no hatred; two exceptions: Lynda Carter & Azarello's
    Superman - no hatred until Nuperman, but I haven't really cared much since I was about 8
    Plastic Man - I just don't get it
    Lobo - I don't even like Wolverine; I surely don't want space-Wolverine on steroids
    Nu Lobo - WTF? They made him worse?! Unpossible! I thought.
    Spectre - just not interested
    Kyle Rayner - epitome of overrated, and I associate him too much with the 90s character assassination of Hal
    Watchmen - don't care much for dark
    Harley Quinn - in the compartments of my mind, she's like there with the likes of Deadpool, Gwenpool, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl
    Captain Marvel/Shazam - aside from the old TV series, but I was a kid then; I really don't like the small kid becoming a superhero idea
    Hawkman - it's odd, I like Hawkgirl a bit, but don't like the whole reincarnated lovers thing
    Jonah Hex - just not a western fan
    Booster Gold - irritating; I realize that's his thing, but it's enough to keep me away
    Simon Baz - still strikes me as being botched from the start
    Suicide Squad - won't read about villains, even when they're forced to do good
    Most WildStorm characters... Gen13 is maybe tolerable, not the others, but I haven't kept track of them with the reboots.

Don't care much for sidekicks. I only tolerated Robin because of Starfire.

With rare exceptions, I tend not to like Legacy Characters. And I consider Alan Scott to be the fake Lantern, so Hal doesn't count.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 06-03-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Spectacular Member MikefromGotham's Avatar

Doom Patrol. Just hasn't clicked for me. I would say the Capt. Marvel family also. I feel like a crap heel about both too

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    With rare exceptions, I tend not to like Legacy Characters. And I consider Alan Scott to be the fake Lantern, so Hal doesn't count.
    How can he be the fake? he's the original.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Certainly Alan S is not a "fake".

But you can still make a different argument to say that Hal is not legacy. Looking at Hal's origin, then he got powers from Guardians, was trained by a member of GL corps...a completely different source from Alan's powers. Hal meet Alan years later...Alan played no part in training Hal and no part in Hal's early career, never Hal's mentor in any meaningful sense. Compare that to Barry Allen and Wally West. Same origin, a relationship before powers acquired, mentoring in early career, etc. Wally is a full legacy character...no argument (and for me a real strength).

Given similarity of Alan's and Hal's powers (and hero name)...then can certainly argue that Hal is partly a copy, but (for me) he's nothing like a full legacy character.

Extraordinary Member

What are the rare exceptions to your dislike of Legacies?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The real Lanterns are the Corps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    What are the rare exceptions to your dislike of Legacies?
    Mostly the Silver Age Legacies. I don't like Jay Garrick and prefer Barry.
    Donna Troy, I like.
    Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) is tolerable.
    Power Girl.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 06-04-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Fantastic Member

New Gods
    Lois Lane
    Damien Wayne

Simply put, nothing I've read with them has connected with me.

Astonishing Member

New Gods -- just because Kirby made them doesn't mean their good. (Or can sustain a book)

Metal Men -- one dimensional characters best used sparingly as comic relief. (Similar to when Giffen last wrote them)

Shazam -- I actually liked him when I was 7. Then I grew up and found the character conceptually silly.

The Huntress/Helena Wayne. Batman and Catwoman's sexy daughter from an alternate universe. Her very premise just sounds like bad fanfiction.
    The Hawkpeople, too convoluted at least for me.
    Any sidekick under the age of 17.
    Tim Drake: boring retrend of Grayson
    New 52 Green Arrow

Mine are:

John Constantine

Damian Wayne

Jason Todd

Helena Bertinelli

Stephanie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Certainly Alan S is not a "fake".

But you can still make a different argument to say that Hal is not legacy. Looking at Hal's origin, then he got powers from Guardians, was trained by a member of GL corps...a completely different source from Alan's powers. Hal meet Alan years later...Alan played no part in training Hal and no part in Hal's early career, never Hal's mentor in any meaningful sense. Compare that to Barry Allen and Wally West. Same origin, a relationship before powers acquired, mentoring in early career, etc. Wally is a full legacy character...no argument (and for me a real strength).

Given similarity of Alan's and Hal's powers (and hero name)...then can certainly argue that Hal is partly a copy, but (for me) he's nothing like a full legacy character.
    Hal IS a legacy. It's just that the legacy is not built into his mythology ala Barry and Wally.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

All-New Member

personal top 3: Damian Wayne, Dick Grayson, Lois Lane. especially Lois Lane.

Incredible Member

green arrow for me. Him being a social justice warrior is a big lol. Being a social justice warrior only works when you are not a hypocrite.

Fantastic Member

Robins in general until they cease to be Robins, as I really like Nightwing .
    Billy Batson, but Shazam is a favorite of mine
    (Apparently I don't care for kids as my superhero).
    Much of Batman's rouges gallery

Geoff Johns...not a character and a harsh statement, but it is not his writing so much as his status and importance. To the point that maybe some automatically say it is brilliant no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by ShazamHusker View Post
    Robins in general until they cease to be Robins, as I really like Nightwing .
    Billy Batson, but Shazam is a favorite of mine
    (Apparently I don't care for kids as my superhero).
    Much of Batman's rouges gallery

Geoff Johns...not a character and a harsh statement, but it is not his writing so much as his status and importance. To the point that maybe some automatically say it is brilliant no matter what.
    Ooh I agree with the Geoff Johns thing. I didn't think he did a good job on Superman and on Teen Titans.