Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Green Lanterns as a group.
    Normally I'd go along with that 100% But I'm enjoying the last two GLC mini series more than most N52 books

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    About 90 percent of the Fourth World. They should have let Jack Kirby end it like he wanted to.
    Same except 100% especially Darkseid

And as always I loathe Kyle Rayner with a passion reserved for congenital diseases

Reading over some of these, I have to wonder about generational differences. It's something I've seen a lot, over the years. I've had my love/hate relationships with the same characters, ones I didn't think much of when I was younger; but, came to enjoy when I was older. Sometimes it took the right creator to do something interesting with the character and then point me to previous stories that I had never seen.

I didn't think much of Booster Gold, until he was put in Justice League International and the whole Beetle and Booster relationship developed. They quickly became one of the best elements of the book.

Captain Marvel was one that was always better in the Golden Age. I started reading the character when he was at DC, in the 70s (issue 10 was one of the first comics I ever owned and the first superhero comic) and the stories could be a really mixed bag. Later, I figured out that the ones I loved the most were reprints of old Fawcett stories. He's had a troubled history at DC, who never really let the character be what made him great in the Golden Age. They started out with a similar approach; but, most of the writers weren't up to the task, except E. Nelson Bridwell. The later stuff was done as serious superhero stories and it lost a lot of the elements that made the original great. Jerry Ordway's Power of Shazam graphic novel and series came closest to striking a balance; but, even then, you had compromises that lost the really great hook of characters like Mr Mind. An alien parasite made sense; but, it wasn't the same as an evil worm, with glasses. The Paul Dini and Alex Ross tabloid edition book captured the optimism of the character; but, it was a totally serious story that felt more like an episode of the Saturday morning series. Jeff Smith came closer with Monster Society of Evil. Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam started well and showed promise; but, it wasn't supported. Everything since hasn't worked. I really think DC only cares about Black Adam.

The Legion is a tough book to crack. I always enjoyed it; but, it took an effort to get to know characters. My first Legion comic was the aftermath of the death of Chemical King. My reading was sporadic, due to access. It took the Limited Colelctor's Edition, with the wedding of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl, which included profiles of each member, for me to finally get a handle on everyone. After that, I was a fan. It was usually enjoyable; but, then, Paul Levitz and Kieth Giffen made it epic, with the Great Darkness Saga.

The Fourth World is one I was introduced to during the revival, with Gerry Conway & Don Newton and Steve Engelhart & Marshall Rogers (and Michael Golden). Those were pretty good; but, it was several years before I saw Kirby's work, via the Baxter-format reprints in the mid-80s. They didn't reprint Mister Miracle or Forever People, let alone Jimmy Olsen. After I was out of college, and based on a chapter of Will Jacobs and Gerard Jones' The Comic Book Superheroes, I started seeking them out. My local shop had a pretty good run of the Jimmy Olsen stories, for a good price; so, I started there. I eventually acquired all of them and Mister Miracle; then, the black & white volumes that DC put out in the late 90s/early 00s. I really started to appreciate it when I saw what Kirby was doing and watched it grow, as I read stories sequentially. The omnibi are the best format to see them, as they are collected as they were published. Still, Mister Miracle is probably the best of all of them. New Gods is more epic; but, it has a clunky start and really starts getting good, when it ended. Mister Miracle is strong all the way through. Forever People never did much for me. Jimmy Olsen was the most inventive and where Kirby was really letting his imagination go. My interest was also aided by the use of the 4th World characters in Superman, in the 90s, particularly from people like Karl Kesel.

Hal Jordan was one I never really warmed to. I tried; but, he wasn't handled well in the 70s and 80s, let alone later. Alan Scott was the Green Lantern who interested me, from the few meetings we had, in the JLA/JSA crossovers. He poped up in the GL comic, in the later 70s, when Mike Grell was on the book and it was a big boost.

I'm not a major fan of any of the magical characters, as I don't like ill-defined powers. Zatanna was interesting as a guest star and it helped that she was usually drawn by artists who made her look sexy and exotic. DR Fate had the cool helmet and costume and Walt Simonson gave him a lot of the Egyptian trappings that set him apart. Outside of that, I never cared for the others.

More often it was less a character I had trouble getting into than how he was used by creators. I have enjoyed some Doom Patrol stories; but, I never quite cracked Morrison's run. I've read segments and there were parts I liked; but, nothing that made me want to read the whole run. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing was similar. I've read stretches of it; but, it usually boiled down to I liked a few stories; but, not everything else. A lot of that has to do with little interest in horror and those elements are usually where I'd pull away.

All the Wildstorm characters.

Probably Kyle Rayner.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I've never been able to get into the Legion of Superheroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo Elf View Post
    Agreed actually, too many of them and the names are ridiculous.
    Yep, same here.

Everything from the costumes, the "lad" and lass" names, and the fact that they are so far removed from everything else in the present DCU -- I just don't see the point or the appeal.

...Superdad

Wonder Woman
    To be fair, my main problem here is the other Amazonians, not really Wonder Woman herself. It's just that whenever I try to read a Wonder Woman story, the Amazonians are involved and all they do is go on and on about how men are evil, man's world is evil, women are superior to men, men are worthless, and so on. It drives me away completely.

The New Gods
    I just don't care about them in the slightest. I do like Big Barda and Mister Miracle's ok, but that's it. As a whole, I actively avoid any stories about them.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC!

BANNED

I'm not surprised by all the votes for Tim Drake and Aquaman, but I am a little surprised that Wonder Woman is getting so many.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    Yep, same here.

Everything from the costumes, the "lad" and lass" names, and the fact that they are so far removed from everything else in the present DCU -- I just don't see the point or the appeal.
    For me, as a kid, the book was a nice mixture of superheroes and Star Trek. Bear in mind, this was also the era where the only Star Trek was the original series, in syndication, and the Gold Key comics and a handful of novels. The Great Darkness Saga took a lot of Legion lore and mixed in Darkseid, giving him his first major role in years. Prior to that Darkseid hadn't really been used outside the 4th World, apart from the opening chapters of The Secret Society of Super-Villains, and the JLA/JSA/New Gods crossover.

The Cockrum and Grell runs, with writers like Jim Shooter and Cary Bates, were good adventure stories, in an intergalactic setting. It was different and had a lot of action. That was the main appeal, to me. The Silver Age stories didn't carry as much appeal, though it depended on the particular story. Legion was also one of the few books where characters died and got married, which set it apart.

The problem always was that it was a rather insular world and you had to be willing to do your homework to really get into it.

Deadman is one I've seen mentioned here and it was always more of a visual appeal, to me, with people like Neal Adams and Jose Louis Garcia Lopez (PBHN) on the art chores. He has been used well for a few short stories, like "Never Say Die," from Adventure Comics 466 and "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot," from Christmas with the Superheroes #2. The first features Deadman stopping an elderly man from committing suicide and then trying to help him fix a core problem in his life; but it goes wrong. It was written by Len Wein and is very powerful, emotionally. The second was by the always excellent Alan Brennert and features Deadman lamenting about his lot in life (or after-life) and how no one knows what he does. He meets a young, vivacious woman who can see him and shares her joy with him and teaches him that it shouldn't matter that people can't see what he does, only that the good he accomplishes needs doing and he can do it. It lifts his spirit and she says she must leave. he asks her name, and as she waves goodbye, she tells him her name is Kara. It was a beautiful reminder of a character that had been removed by Crisis, just a few years before. It's a story that always brings a tear to my eye.

Like I say, sometimes it just takes a good writer, who handles the character well.

I've never cared for Harley Quinn. The Shazam family are pretty boring to me, as well as the Superman family to be honest. Jonah Hex doesn't interest me. Hawkman/Woman.
    All of these characters can be written well enough for me to enjoy them (I love All Star Superman by Grant Morrison), but their basic characters are pretty meh for me.
    Favorite characters: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ozymandias, The Riddler, Hellboy, Renee Montoya.

I don't know about characters but 1 thing I do know is that as much as I love team books I wont be collecting JUSTICE LEAGUE.bryan hitch arc's are always so long and I lose instrest especially if the art isn't keeping me instrested and tony daniels art.i liked him on batman but not sure for him as an artist for the LEAGUE.

Damian Wayne is such a little prick! Gah!

Amazing Member

The "good guys" of the Fourth World. The evil Fourth World characters are great, but outside of Orion, I don't like the New Genesis crew.

The Spectre is incredibly and increasingly annoying.

I want a mystical side of the DCU that's a little more grimy, more mysterious, and "older" than Judeo-Christian mythology.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Booster Gold and all the other time related characters. Harley Quinn as anything other than Poison Ivy's girlfriend or a member of the Suicide Squad. I don't even like her with the Joker. Star Girl. The original JSA. The Legion of Superheroes. Some characters are cool and I really enjoyed the Legion Lost book. Static Shock. Parasite. Nu52 Lobo, what a mistake that was. I hope they bring back the original after Rebirth. Geez, it would be easier to list the characters I do like. Just saying, DC has a ton of useless and dumb looking characters. Not wanting to offend, just my own opinion. They also have a ton of cool looking characters they don't seem to write anything good about, i.e. Blue Beetle, Hawkman, Firestorm, Grifter, and Jonah Hex to name a few.