Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Do the X-Men need a "Rebirth?" And what would that look like?

So, all the DC: Rebirth stuff got me thinking, many people aren't happy with the X-Men stuff at the moment. I'd argue that they're in the same position Green Lantern was in when those books got "rebirthed" all those years ago.

Characters are missing/not used as much as they should, the talent isn't all there, and the current direction is too wrapped up in another property. If you want everyone to hate the mutants again, you shouldn't use the Inhumans and their mists to do it.

I was watching the new trailer for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and they used the term "Mechanical Apartheid" (if you see the trailer you'll know why). You want the X-Men to have their backs against the wall, Marvel? Well, go for it! Do that, do what Deus Ex is doing! But, don't half ass it like you're doing now.

The X-Men need to get back to basics while revitalizing itself and doing new and interesting things.

What would an X-Men Rebirth look like to y'all? I'll add mine later, I need to figure it out a bit more.

EDIT: Let's just pretend Perlmutter isn't around anymore to mess this up, make this easy on ourselves.
    Last edited by bigstupidjellyfish; 05-26-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Niffleheim

Rebirth and X-Men at this moment don't go hand in hand. They are Officially Sterilized until Marvel says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Rebirth and X-Men at this moment don't go hand in hand. They are Officially Sterilized until Marvel says otherwise.
    Probably should've added something about not having Perlmutter around.

Bring the old Jean back through Jeen as White Phoenix of the Crown and new Headmistress of the school.

I don't know if a Rebirth perse, though I do wish the social issues stuff was a bit more relevant again. Part of the problem with the survival aspect of Decimation and now this T-Mist stuff is that it doesn't allow for much else to fill stories, aside from in-fighting of course.

I'm not sure how I would restructured or even plan the books, but it would be fun if we could have stuff like X-Corps (Scale down so Marvel can not harm its precious status quo) and even mutant politicians back in the narrative.

BANNED

X men should modernize and tackle a wide array of social issues. But they shouldn't limit themselves to that, also some meat and potatoes superhero approach and expansion in Street level, major superhero league and cosmic level. Also teen characters, classic characters and legacy characters

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    X men should modernize and tackle a wide array of social issues. But they shouldn't limit themselves to that, also some meat and potatoes superhero approach and expansion in Street level, major superhero league and cosmic level. Also teen characters, classic characters and legacy characters
    The sad part about that is that Grant Morrison did modernize the X-Men. By 2001 standards at least, but we all know how that turned out in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    So they are not part of Marvel NOW ?.

Cancel all ongoings. If you want to write an X-Men story it has to be either a one-off/OGN or a mini-series. Lots of these. Forget continuity, not entirely, but often. Reimaginings, not just Season One but Seasons Two, Three, Four etc showcasing different eras. X-Men has one of, if not the, richest histories in all of comics- show us how adaptions can be done. New stuff from status quos long gone but fondly remembered. Cut out all the filler. Rather than removing the events that disrupt natural storytelling, make every damn appearance of the X-Men an event.

Imagine every time you hear of a new X-Men story knowing that you will certainly read it's entirety the way it was intended, without having to worry about deadlines, rotating artists, creative shake-ups, editorial fiddling or dropped sub-plots.

I understand these ideas are hardly going to be popular, but that's what I'd like to see.

I know we all had some great discussions about the fear of moving the X-men away from the MU as it exists today, but after the last several months with the Inhuman push that has forced our favorite mutants to live in Limbo while being able to do nothing about it, I think its time to pull the trigger and do it.

So with that said, if i was going to do a rebirth for the X-men, i would go all in, move them to a separate universe (maybe Legion can do it, maybe Jamie Braddox, any mutant with reality warping powers), where the only people with powers are mutants, that way we can still keep the human/mutant conflict angle that has existed in the X-men since the start without the hypocrisy that other non-mutant superheros do not have to face. That way they can establish several different teams, with several different purposes. They can bring back all the classic villains, make Magneto the big bad threat again, play some baseball, remove the shield presence that seems to pop up every time something major happens in the X-men books, and finally be able to have story lines that no longer have to reflect the direction of the company's latest re-launch every 6 months. And have Chris Claremont be the editor to oversee it all.

Just my throwing in my two cents.

I'd rather they go through a big Rebirth then laboriously resurrect Professor X, Cyclops, Jean Grey and Wolverine one by one at some point.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

What the X-Men need is for the movie rights situation to calm down until then nothing gets better
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    Cancel all ongoings. If you want to write an X-Men story it has to be either a one-off/OGN or a mini-series. Lots of these. Forget continuity, not entirely, but often. Reimaginings, not just Season One but Seasons Two, Three, Four etc showcasing different eras. X-Men has one of, if not the, richest histories in all of comics- show us how adaptions can be done. New stuff from status quos long gone but fondly remembered. Cut out all the filler. Rather than removing the events that disrupt natural storytelling, make every damn appearance of the X-Men an event.

Imagine every time you hear of a new X-Men story knowing that you will certainly read it's entirety the way it was intended, without having to worry about deadlines, rotating artists, creative shake-ups, editorial fiddling or dropped sub-plots.

I understand these ideas are hardly going to be popular, but that's what I'd like to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by emac View Post
    I know we all had some great discussions about the fear of moving the X-men away from the MU as it exists today, but after the last several months with the Inhuman push that has forced our favorite mutants to live in Limbo while being able to do nothing about it, I think its time to pull the trigger and do it.

So with that said, if i was going to do a rebirth for the X-men, i would go all in, move them to a separate universe (maybe Legion can do it, maybe Jamie Braddox, any mutant with reality warping powers), where the only people with powers are mutants, that way we can still keep the human/mutant conflict angle that has existed in the X-men since the start without the hypocrisy that other non-mutant superheros do not have to face. That way they can establish several different teams, with several different purposes. They can bring back all the classic villains, make Magneto the big bad threat again, play some baseball, remove the shield presence that seems to pop up every time something major happens in the X-men books, and finally be able to have story lines that no longer have to reflect the direction of the company's latest re-launch every 6 months. And have Chris Claremont be the editor to oversee it all.

Just my throwing in my two cents.

I like both these ideas. The X-men do need a rebirth for sure and a separate universe I think is the way to go. I would also do a reimagining of some of the classic storylines as well. I think the idea of going to an OGN format is great and to me should be where the comics industry is headed. If the X-men are the only powered individuals and humanity sees them as the next step in evolution then you would have the interesting conflicts back as well as the relevance of multiple teams and points of view. I think a rebirth would be great and if it were me I'd let them go away from being a monthly ongoing for about 4-6 months. During which time I'd release a couple of OGN's and then come strong in a new universe. Either let them have their own corner in the Marvel U or just let them go over to Image or Dark Horse or Valiant.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DreadnoughtHelldiver View Post
    I like both these ideas. The X-men do need a rebirth for sure and a separate universe I think is the way to go. I would also do a reimagining of some of the classic storylines as well. I think the idea of going to an OGN format is great and to me should be where the comics industry is headed. If the X-men are the only powered individuals and humanity sees them as the next step in evolution then you would have the interesting conflicts back as well as the relevance of multiple teams and points of view. I think a rebirth would be great and if it were me I'd let them go away from being a monthly ongoing for about 4-6 months. During which time I'd release a couple of OGN's and then come strong in a new universe. Either let them have their own corner in the Marvel U or just let them go over to Image or Dark Horse or Valiant.
    I am going to guess your ideas would effectively destroy X-Men as a comic book concept with any relevance/sales.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

i would send the O5 back to their time, and i wont erase their memories. so the moment they leave they go back and change history, this will be my rebirth.
    Cyclops and Jean get married and share the Phoenix force, so neither one can turn dark. They have two Children Cable and Rachel.
    Cyclops head Commander of all X-teams. He stays on Asteroid-X with Jean. they don't go on missions unless they need to.
    Jean Runs Xavier School For the Gifted. The school has been moved to Asteroid-X, knowing the T-mist destroy mutant kind the built a safe haven for Mutants
    Beast never test drugs on himself and doesn't turn furry.
    Iceman comes out early and grows as a character, he is leader of Uncanny X-Men. and is dating a new Character.
    Angel keeps the cosmic energy, and never turns into the Four horsemen of Apocalypse. He marries Pyslocke, and they run X-Corp.
    Wolverine's Wife never dies, they x-men protected her. Logan stays in Japan and raises Daken. He finds X-23, and she joins his family. He Leads X-Force
    Xavier has been given Ambassador status to the Shi'Ar and Other races, Xavier Married Lilandra and have a daughter together.
    Storm runs X-men, and is a Dean at the school.
    Havok runs Uncanny Avengers, with his wife Polaris, their sons join the school.
    Bishop will run the XSE, they are side branch of Shield.
    Cable runs Six Pack, He has full control of his powers, he has a daughter named Hope.
    Vulcan team never dies, they join the X-men instead , Other deaths that never happen, Thunderbird, Morph, Maggott, Banshee, Legion, all the students. The Gen-X kids too.
    House of M Never happened.
    A X-Council was created by Xavier to help run the Mutant community. Members are: Xavier, Magneto, Emma, Angel, Cyclops, Callisto and Shaw.
    Uncanny X-Men- Iceman, Rogue, Northstar, Mimic, Gambit and Frenzy
    X-Men- Storm, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird, Lifeguard, Jubilee, Beast and Chamber
    X-Force- Wolverine, Daken, Shatterstar, Warpath, Feral, Magneto and Revanche
    Six Pack- Cable, Domino, Grizzly, Fantomex, Marrow and Nemesis
    X-Calibur- Angel, Pyslocke, Shadowcat, Rachel, Magik Longshot, Dazzler and Colossus
    XSE- Bishop, Shard, Archer, Fixx, Maverick, Sage
    X-Factor- Madrox, Butterfly, Strong guy, Rictor, Wolfbane, Catseye and Bevatron
    Uncanny Avengers- Havok, Polaris, Vulcan, Sway, US Agent, Antman, Hercaules and Firebird
    New Mutants- Dani Moonstar, Cypher, Nate Grey, Magma, Blink and Bdelam
    X-corps- Emma, Banshee, Forge, Monet, Husk, Synch, Roulette and Jetstream
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!