Default conner kent possible return?

Geoff Johns: the New 52 was that a brick wall had been built between that and everything that had happened before. In my mind, it was like a brick wall, and it felt like, say, the version I read of Raven wasn't the Raven I'm reading now. It felt like the emotional connection I had with the character broke. I'll tell you a character specifically, and I'll be candid about it: Superboy, Connor Kent.

One of my favorite characters of all time, and I had a great time writing him in Teen Titans, and I loved writing him in his solo run [in Adventure Comics]. They reintroduced him in the New 52 and he was so different, so vastly changed, that I couldn't connect with the book that well. The emotional tie just severed, and it didn't sever in the way that made me angry, it was worse than that: I had apathy for it. I didn't care anymore.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ringing-897289

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I think he'll return sooner or later, perhaps in the new Teen Titans series written by Percy.

He'll probably return eventually if Johns wants him too. But it probably won't be for quite some time as they'll want to establish Jon first. If he's successful the only way I see Conner coming back is whenever Johns comes back to comics and decrees it. But even then I wouldn't get too excited, because he's the one who screwed him up in the first place. You vastly changed him first, dude, and not for the better. in any case I'm glad to hear he's taking a break from comics for a while. He's gone downhill fast in the past few years. He can still come up with ideas but they're usually convoluted and he severely lacks follow-through. Maybe other talent can make better what he's set up. But good luck to them because he's left them a huge mess.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-27-2016 at 04:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He'll probably return eventually if Johns wants him too. But it probably won't be for quite some time as they'll want to establish Jon first. If he's successful the only way I see Conner coming back is whenever Johns comes back to comics and decrees it. But even then I wouldn't get too excited, because he's the one who screwed him up in the first place. You vastly changed him first, dude, and not for the better. in any case I'm glad to hear he's taking a break from comics for a while. He's gone downhill fast in the past few years. He can still come up with ideas but they're usually convoluted and he severely lacks follow-through. Maybe other talent can make better what he's set up. But good luck to them because he's left them a huge mess.
    I agree with you. It seems to me that Johns cannot write a character without throwing some "everything you knew about the past is wrong" twist instead of leaving the past alone and write stories that move forward from where other writers left them.
    Not Peter David.

Extraordinary Member

I think Johns himself was capable of writing Kon in a way that remained faithful to Kon's original portrayal, at least during his initial Teen Titans run. His initial Conner had a bit of the old cockiness and city boy attitude underneath his new veneer of team jock. It was only after he resurrected Conner that he really hit the Silver Age throwback mode and started writing Conner as a bland Clark-lite.

I do think that his writing style wound up being interpreted shallowly by most of his peers, and that was the real problem for Conner afterwards. Personally, my biggest issue with Johns and Superboy is that his Silver Age fanboy stuff wound up severely screwing up Match. We didn't need a Bizzaro Superboy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

If they really wanted Kon back as he was why didn't they just use the convergence version like hey did with Superman? Why use Convergence to only "Fix" Superman and not all the broken Characters? Maybe the answer is that once Jon White came on the Scene Kon-El became redundant. Can't have Two Superboys afterall.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    If they really wanted Kon back as he was why didn't they just use the convergence version like hey did with Superman? Why use Convergence to only "Fix" Superman and not all the broken Characters? Maybe the answer is that once Jon White came on the Scene Kon-El became redundant. Can't have Two Superboys afterall.
    I'm not sure if Kon will be around for a while since not only will there be the Jon-Superboy, but a 17-year-old Superman. But then again, there will be two speedsters named Wally West so anything is possible.
    Not Peter David.

BANNED

I posted this geoff johns comment in the kon-el appreciation thread already.

Now we have a young superboy with all the wonderment you have with a kid getting powers and having fun with them,plus he has his tshirt and jeans.we also have a 17 year old cocky,kid called super-man,who also is said to like medai attention.

Do you see where there might be some kon fans who think how much can DC rip from kon? Nuperman already took a lot from kon to make him unique and standout in a crowd of supermen,and now they go and create 2 more characters using pieces of kon to do it.

This 1st shows how much they dont respect the character and only use him for spare parts.

It also shows that they know kon is a awesome character,and thats why they use him so much to build other new characters.

Kon will be back when harvests time shenanigan is fixed.what that is,is that he stole a very early stage clone from lex luthor and used him as a lab rat to inject him with JLK dna to find ways to save him.

This could explain why he got hint after hint that lex was involved in kons creation,then POOF nothing.that message lex left in kons mind that was found by dr psycho also was disgarded like it didnt happen.its called harvest stole the clone after lex had already put that message there,but still early enough to add JLK dna to totally rewrite his dna.

Change harvest involvement,fix kon.he would have left cadmus at a different time,had a different powerset,different ways of thinking and feeling,and he might have escaped from cadmus closer to his past version did(or the YJ tv show did).totally different kon,just get rid of harvest.

Then bring in all the pre flashpoint things rebirth is letting happen.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Johns was the guy who utterly changed everything about Kon-El first, though. He severed my connection! Is he only talking about making characters within DC, the way he liked them best?

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think Johns himself was capable of writing Kon in a way that remained faithful to Kon's original portrayal, at least during his initial Teen Titans run. His initial Conner had a bit of the old cockiness and city boy attitude underneath his new veneer of team jock. It was only after he resurrected Conner that he really hit the Silver Age throwback mode and started writing Conner as a bland Clark-lite.

I do think that his writing style wound up being interpreted shallowly by most of his peers, and that was the real problem for Conner afterwards. Personally, my biggest issue with Johns and Superboy is that his Silver Age fanboy stuff wound up severely screwing up Match. We didn't need a Bizzaro Superboy.
    Gotta disagree there. He did a 180 with Kon's personality pretty much from the word go. It was an immediate consequence of his overrated half-Lex retcon. From the second Johns made that change Kon was a complete sourpuss, gone from optimistic, carefree and a little rambunctious to a dark stick in the mud wondering when he'd go evil.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Well we know Kon is still alive, but at the moment is once more a prisoner of Harvest. When/if this is fixed I expect him to comeback in a similar fashion to the original Wally. That is to say when he does comeback into play he will most likely adapt a new costume and identity since Jon is the new Superboy.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Keep johns and lobdell away from kon,they both have no idea how to respect the original.

Kon is NOT a prisoner right now,he went with harvest freely,he decided he was more robot/weapon than human,and thought being with harvest was for the best.total BS and against everything the character of kon stands for.

Wipe out harvest and his time shenanigans and we will get a kon we can enjoy reading about

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Johns was the guy who utterly changed everything about Kon-El first, though. He severed my connection! Is he only talking about making characters within DC, the way he liked them best?
    Thats what im thinking,he did it to bart allen and grant emerson also.

The kesel original was perfectly original in orign,powerset,and personality,he turned him into a bland badass mini me superman,when keeping him the same way is what he enjoyed about the character in the first place.he could have easily kept his origin the same,a human super clone,made him stir crazy in smallville,and later when he was with the TT team find out it wasnt paul westfield,but lex luthor who is his human dna donor and creator,that way geoff coukd have got that big WOW moment he wanted,but still kept it to the original.black zero was every bit as SUPER as superman was,but totally in step with his having tactile telekinesis and being a clone who was created by humans to be as much like superman as possible,i dont see why he needed to be a "hybrid",and have powers exaclty like superman.

Stick with the original,mature him,age him,put him in different places and situations,but remember what made him special,and when you do he wouldnt be compared to jon,or kenan,he wouldnt be compared to anyone,besides how strong his desire to be a hero and live up to superman's legacy.