Default A first time reading of Young Justice

Or, an interest check first, anyway.

I've recently started picking up some of Young Justice on recommendation, and...

I've been enjoying it. Surprisingly, since none of the main characters are big pulls for me. And when I enjoy something, I like to analyse it.

So, I'm curious. Would anyone be interested in a thread where a first time reader reads and reacts to the Young Justice run?

Which Young Justice? The original series or the animated series tie-in? Because the original comics with Tim Drake, Kon-El and Bart Allen is a masterpiece.

I think it would be pretty fun. I read only the start of the run, but it would be fun to follow a thread like this.

The original comic run.

The first few posts, admittedly, won't be entirely fresh; I've read the first ten or so issues, and I've had spoilers for the run as a whole...but it's still mostly blind, and I'll be approaching it from an analysis point of view, I guess?

Extraordinary Member

I like this idea; I tried doing a thread where I'd rewatch an episode of the TV show, but this seems more like a fresh way to review similar themes.

And one of the reasons why you may find yourself enjoying the book in spite of having little pull from the characters is because this was written to be a gateway book for preteen into the DCU. In fact part of the argument between Dan Didio's reason for cancelling the book when he rose to a higher position and Peter David's desire to continue the book stems from that aspect: David said repeatedly that his job when handed the book was to aim for younger readers and hook them into comics instead of writing a sales bulldozer, which was what Didio thought the book should be.

I'm really curious how you're viewing the mix of humor and drama in the book so far; even some of my high school kids who've read it noted that it has a nice one two punch of laughter and genuine play in the heartstrings.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

It was a damn shame how DC ended this book,when it was consistently amazing.

This is a blueprint for how to write a book with humor,fun,character,and young heroes.

Can u imagine instead of geoff getting the YJ4 in his teen titans book if the remaining mmembers of the team decided to stick together and become a covert team,kinda like the tv show did,but with the characters as they were at issue 50/graduation day.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Even though I'm not typically a big fan of younger superheroes YJ was an exception for me (and there certainly have been other exceptions as well over the years).

Normally, it just doesn't feel right to me. Even when I was a kid, the closest thing to a teen hero that I was really a fan of was Tim Hunter. Being older now and working with young people, the characterization doesn't ever feel right. That said, Young Justice was an exception. What made it exceptional in my book was how it all kinda fell into place. They were obviously not typical teens and so they didn't need to act like them. Bart, Tim, Cassie, Kon, et al… were all light years removed from typical young teens but kinda made up for it the best way they knew how. Not that I'm implying that the book was dark per se… but a lot of it was kids overcompensating for all the high weirdness that separated them from peers their own age by playing on the inherent brightness of superheroes.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Astonishing Member

I'd be up for it.