Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MCU Peter Parker To Stay In High School For A Few Films

Kevin Feige recently suggested that the MCU Peter Parker is going to stay in high school for a few films.

This is sophomore year, is the next one junior year?", Kevin Feige told Collider. "Is the next one senior year? Is there a summer break between each of those? I don’t know what, but it was sort of how do we do a journey for Peter not dissimilar for what the students of Hogwarts would go through each of their years, which was one of the early ideas we had for the movies".
    Do you guys think this is a good strategy?

One advantage is that it keeps Spider-Man distinct from the other MCU heroes, both the guys in movies and Netflix shows.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

No reason to rush. Their actor is young enough that he can pull it off for a while.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

I like the idea but at the same time thin Spidey would vastly benefit more from a netflix series, which will never happen unless the sfx department works for free.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Mighty Member

It'll be interesting to see how they pull this off with at least a two year gap between films and Spider-man no longer being self-contained. For the most part, the MCU films occur in real time (Peter was a freshman in 2016's Civil War which means he should be in his senior year by 2019.)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-29-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Considering that they're using a young actor, so long as they don't keep him in High School for too long and actually let him grow after a few movies, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm fine with them doing a few high school films and making the most out of that setting so long as they don't keep him there indefinitely and let him actually graduate and move onto college like he did in the comics.

And I especially don't want to see him get replaced or retire from being Spider-Man once his high school career is over. Let Holland really grow into the role and give us plenty of Spidey growing and developing in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    I like the idea but at the same time thin Spidey would vastly benefit more from a netflix series, which will never happen unless the sfx department works for free.
    Netflix would be great for him. Maybe Miles has a shot?

BANNED

I don't love the sound of the idea of a trilogy of High School movies, but--if it helps them stay on point with the narrative, so be it.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I'm cool with this. Both previous Spider-Man movie series have been in an awful rush to get Peter out of high school - possibly because their leading men could only barely pass as high schoolers to start out with, and would look terribly out of place in a couple years come sequel time. It'll be nice for the movies to get some time to build a high school supporting cast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Fighter View Post
    Netflix would be great for him. Maybe Miles has a shot?
    We're not getting Daredevil season3 a Jessica Jones season 2 until 2018.
    The last thing Netflix needs is even more Marvel series.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Won't this be hard since all the other MCU films have essentially been moving in real time?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Won't this be hard since all the other MCU films have essentially been moving in real time?
    Maybe they have plans to release a Spider-Man film every year?

2017- Homecoming- Sophomore year
    2018- Junior year
    2019- Summer break (between Junior and Senior)
    2020- Graduation

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post

2018- Junior year
    2020- Graduation

Wouldn't marvel be releasing too many movies year?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post

2018- Junior year
    2020- Graduation
    I don't think they'll rush it that quickly, given all the Spider-Man appearances elsewhere.

But other franchises cranked out sequels at a faster rate than most superhero films. See Harry Potter and the Hunger Games for good series that did that.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

^While that's true, Marvel only releases two of these films at a time, and they got a whole host of characters to create content for.

I know Marvel would love nothing more than the turn back the hands of time and keep Peter in high school for longer than Stan Lee did. Hell, if they had their way he'd be Ultimate Spider-Man age forever. They believe the coming of age metaphor is stronger when he's younger, when's a boy who puts on a mask and becomes Spider-MAN. Where he has all the power and beats the bullies and saves the girl and always has a great one-liner when he never does in real life. Now they're stuck with this close to 30 year old manchild still learning the same lessons and being pushed out of NYC by younger heroes more suited to his old stories. Whoops!