Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jedibanner View Post
    To this day, I don't care/buy any Amazing Spider-Man comics because of the OMD crapfest. I don't expect Marvel to undo for another 10 years so, not holding my breath at all.
    Yeah, I tried BND. I held out hope for that Jackpot character. What a disappointment that was. Once Peter ended up with Carlie, I quit. Haven't bought an issue since. I'll stick to the 2099 version.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, Rebirth has made having a flagship hero be married cool again so maybe Marvel will take the hint. Though given the fact that Marvel nearly went bankrupt back in the nineties to undo the marriage, clearly they are pretty attached to the idea of him being single. Plus, I don't see a reconciliation as long as Quesada is still calling the shots.
    Quesada isn't EIC anymore. While he does have some control over the comics, but not as much as he did before.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Given that next year is the 10th anniversary of OMD and that JQ always suggested that it and OMIT felt like a trilogy of connected stories, Marvel should strongly consider getting the two back, especially with the success of Renew Your Vows and MJ finally emerging from the taint of OMD which she go the worst of - since nearly no writer wanted to use her since every time she appeared was a reminder of the universally hated story.

Miles is the teen Spidey now, it's time for Peter to grow up.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I just wish MJ and Peter had gotten a divorce instead. It would have been less messy and could actually have been a great grounded story about the cost of being Spider-Man.
    If any comics franchise could not just survive, but be strengthened by such a story arc, it would be Spider-Man.

I know most of you don't want to get your hopes up, but maybe this isn't a coincidence. I mean, I know how succesful was RYV and I love it.

Know I wil drop my theory, what if this is connected to Dead No More? That is most likely a reality changing event. But I'll leave it there.

Fantastic Member

I do think people are reading too much into this, I don't see this as some 'Peter and MJ are soon gonna remember the deal and be together again' sort of thing. If it were going to happen, it would've been hinted at in Amazing, not this book.

But hey, maybe everyone will be surprised and they do something with it. Prob not the 'Dead No More' story, as that seems more Jackal-focused, but maybe next year after that story concludes.

It's odd, that's for certain. Personally, I don't think it's any kind of hint at the original timeline being restored and 'real' Pete returning, simply cos the guys running the show at Marvel right now have made it very clear over the years where they stand on the marriage. I don't think those opinions are changing any time soon.

Which is what makes it so odd really. Since OMD (and certainly post OMIT), there's generally been a concerted effort to ignore OMD, to sweep it under the carpet and continue to maintain than Peter's current alternate life is the real deal. Sure, there was RYV, but even that was never really tied into OMD in any significant way (as far as I know, I never read it... Slott writing the marriage has all the appeal of a One Direction album of Queen Covers).

For that reason, it's very surprising to see a comic not only openly acknowledging that the deal happened, but (pretty) explicitly confirming that Mephisto won - and continues to win - whilst Pete lives a lie that he doesn't even know he's living. Having said that, chances are this is just another of Marvel's regularly scheduled let's troll/put another carrot on a stick for the marriage/real timeline/real Peter fans. We've seen that happen more than once since OMD, and I'm sure we'll see it happen again down the line.

BANNED

I was really surprised by how explicitly SM/DP #5 referenced OMD. And not just referenced it but made it seem like this was going to be a plotline moving forward (although Mephisto's awareness of the deal seems to contradict what happened in OMIT). That's the kind of big development that you think would be exclusively reserved for ASM, not a jokey team-up book. But it was cool to see and McGuinness sure draws a mean Mephisto.

As for undoing OMD, nothing's impossible but yet I just don't see it happening. Now that's it's been almost ten years, it's safe to conclude that the segment of fans who see OMD as an obstacle to them buying Spider-Man comics has proved to be a small portion of the fan base so at this point there's not much incentive for Marvel to restore the marriage or Peter and MJ as a couple. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just means it probably won't.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 05-28-2016 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedibanner View Post
    To this day, I don't care/buy any Amazing Spider-Man comics because of the OMD crapfest. I don't expect Marvel to undo for another 10 years so, not holding my breath at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    Same here. I've diverted a lot of money from Marvel to Dark Horse and DC by not buying Spider-Man since OMD. At this point, nothing short of a full reversal and a Rebirth-style apology would get me to even consider going back.
    Brand New Day is what had me buying Spider-Man comics again
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    As for undoing OMD, nothing's impossible but yet I just don't see it happening. Now that's it's been almost ten years, it's safe to conclude that the segment of fans who see OMD as an obstacle to them buying Spider-Man comics has proved to be a small portion of the fan base so at this point there's not much incentive for Marvel to restore the marriage or Peter and MJ as a couple. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just means it probably won't.
    There's really no incentive for Marvel to NOT restore the marriage at this point either, really.

The title would still be a solid seller either way, like it always has.

As others have pointed out, Marvel have their all-important Teenage Experience Spider-Man in Miles now.

There are also plenty of creators, from Ta-Nehisi Coates to Gail Simone who have expressed interest in writing Peter and MJ together or the marriage itself.

The only reason for keeping OMD is because of some obstinate pretentiousness from the likes of people like Breevoort, who should really have no say over Spider-Man anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I just wish MJ and Peter had gotten a divorce instead. It would have been less messy and could actually have been a great grounded story about the cost of being Spider-Man.
    This, a lot less people would've been burned by it, and those that would still be upset would more likely have gotten over it by now. Hell, if they didn't like the marriage that much then they should've kept the separation going longer. They could've brought it to a more natural point where Peter, MJ and the readers understand that it's over.

This could just be Kelly's idea and Marvel feels it's far enough away from OMD to let this much through.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    There's really no incentive for Marvel to NOT restore the marriage at this point either, really.

The title would still be a solid seller either way, like it always has.

As others have pointed out, Marvel have their all-important Teenage Experience Spider-Man in Miles now.

There are also plenty of creators, from Ta-Nehisi Coates to Gail Simone who have expressed interest in writing Peter and MJ together or the marriage itself.

The only reason for keeping OMD is because of some obstinate pretentiousness from the likes of people like Breevoort, who should really have no say over Spider-Man anyway.
    It's not "obstinate pretentiousness", it's a sincere belief that - for various reasons - Peter works better as a single guy. There's definitely differences of opinion on whether that's true or not but I personally think it is. There is a case to be made that now that Miles is in the MU that you could have Peter be married again but I wouldn't be that crazy about it.

The thing about the marriage is that - as we've seen - it's hard to get out of. You can have Peter with a long term love interest but that can still change in an issue without much trouble if a writer wants to move on. Marriage, not so much. Anything's possible, of course, but I think Peter will continue to remain single. Still, it's interesting to see OMD come back into the spotlight. I can't imagine that Kelly doesn't have more in mind on that front.

^ that

♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

It's not "obstinate pretentiousness"
    This is most definitely a pretentious comment to make:

The thing about the marriage is that - as we've seen - it's hard to get out of.
    Really? It wasn't that hard. Mephisto undid it all and there were no consequences or fallout--for close to 10 years, it was hardly mentioned until a few cryptic pages now in SM/Deadpool. How was that hard to do?