Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
    This, a lot less people would've been burned by it, and those that would still be upset would more likely have gotten over it by now. Hell, if they didn't like the marriage that much then they should've kept the separation going longer. They could've brought it to a more natural point where Peter, MJ and the readers understand that it's over.
    That's true enough. Whilst I'd have been upset to see Pete and MJ divorce, if it had been written well (so not by Quesada, natch), I probably would have been OK with it eventually. Certainly when Pete and MJ split up a couple of times prior to OMD and even when she was 'killed off', I never dropped the book. Only One More Day made me do that.

The problem with OMD (for me, anyway) isn't about the moral implications of the whole 'deal with the Devil thing', but it's the unfinishedness of it all. It's a hanging thread, a loose button... I mean, it created an entirely false reality and swept twenty years of continuity under the carpet (and no, OMIT resolved none of that, no more so than Marvel's repeated insistence that "everything happened the same, just without the marriage").

At the end of the day, a Pete falling out of love with MJ would have been hard to accept, but ultimately it still would have been Peter. Yeah, it would have been a Peter not written especially in character. But it would still be Peter, nonetheless. OMD, however, created an alternate Pete - a parallel version that was (and remains to this day) a completely different character as far as I'm concerned. Even now, ten years on, the idea of reading about him still feels like reading what is essentially an Elseworlds story.

How dare Brevoort suggest that a decision he had participated in is one he agrees with!
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Well magic is dying if anyone reads Dr. Strange.

So maybe this is the start of the spell slowly being undone ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post

Really? It wasn't that hard. Mephisto undid it all and there were no consequences or fallout--for close to 10 years, it was hardly mentioned until a few cryptic pages now in SM/Deadpool. How was that hard to do?
    Yeah, I mean where's the other Shoe dropping in this deal ?

There was no true consequences coming out of this storyline.

I mean besides the BND stories and onward for Spidey readers/

Meh. Cool it was mentioned but it is my sincere belief after all this time that there is as much a chance for Uncle Ben to be resurrected for good than for Peter and MJ to ever be married again.

Most of Marvel editorial prefer him single and they would rather that be the status quo, over any sort of restoration of what was lost in Peter's life. Take the loss of the marriage like the death of Gwen. IF Peter and MJ ever get together it will likely just be boyfriend and girlfriend so it can easily be undone without all the fuss. Disappointing but true.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 05-29-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Take the loss of the marriage like the death of Gwen.
    But that's the problem, isn't it? (Well, one of them, anyway). Going back to my previous post, this isn't about mourning something that actually happened. It's the absence of something that .... unhappened.

Gwen dying was a key point in Pete's life, which had fallout, ramifications and eventually became a significant part of his history. OMD doesn't allow that because there were no repercussions, no closure for something that nobody remembers happened in the first place.

Mighty Member

It could also mean everyone remembering peter's unmasking.

BANNED

This is most definitely a pretentious comment to make:

Not pretentious to agree with a decision you had a hand in.

Really? It wasn't that hard. Mephisto undid it all and there were no consequences or fallout--for close to 10 years, it was hardly mentioned until a few cryptic pages now in SM/Deadpool. How was that hard to do?
    Mephisto undid it but people still bitch about it. That's the problem. You can't restore the marriage again and easily undo it without royally pissing off a segment of the fanbase. If Marvel ever got Peter and MJ back together as a married couple, that would be it. You couldn't undo it again because that would be unfair. Undoing it once was it. That was a fair choice on Marvel's part but they can never go back on that. If they ever decide to restore the marriage, that's it. They'd have to be sure that this is how they want Peter to remain till the end of time. And I just don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I just wish MJ and Peter had gotten a divorce instead. It would have been less messy and could actually have been a great grounded story about the cost of being Spider-Man.
    Same here, there was little need for what happened.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I don't care so much about the marriage, I just want Peter and MJ to get their memories back. Let something happen that causes this, let Peter and MJ look at each other and say "WTF did we do" and then choose to take time to think about it before making any decisions about the future. This puts the real Spidey timeline back in canon instead of this fake OMD one we have now while still keeping them single.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I want Peter to remember and feel guilt over what he put MJ through and how he sold his baby over to Mephisto as well as he ignored Aunt May's dying wishes all for self reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Well magic is dying if anyone reads Dr. Strange.

So maybe this is the start of the spell slowly being undone ?
    If they wanted to, they could reverse it pretty quickly. It's all about what they want to do.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How dare Brevoort suggest that a decision he had participated in is one he agrees with!
    Cheesedique can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue is the implication that anyone who disagrees with One More Day needs medicine.
    Last edited by Phantom Roxas; 06-08-2016 at 06:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Cheesedique can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue is the implication that anyone who disagrees with One More Day needs medicine.
    Yeah, it's the hokey, condescending tone that grates, especially coming from a hack editor like Brevoort.

Just remember, kiddies, Marvel knows what's best for you.

Spider-Man/ Deadpool #8 picks up on this, and Spidey's still unsettled by his encounter with Mephisto, even if it seems he can't remember it.

http://www.newsarama.com/30572-spide...emembered.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets