Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Default So, how did you feel about the reveal of the parentage of Spider-Woman's baby, *Spoilers*

It's been sitting for a bit.

I personally was disappointed as they hyped that whole thing up yet the reveal was lame. Furthermore, if Jessica doesn't know who the father is, due to how she got pregnant, than it was totally out of line for her to assault Tony Stark for asking. Heck, for all we know he was just wondering if he was the father.

So, the writers and Marvel, in my opinion, made a big deal over nothing and reinforce that the child is pretty much doomed down the line.

Yeah, yeah... It was her choice to get pregnant that way but it was a terrible move by Marvel to act like the child was someone fans knew or cared about. Not nameless Joe that we will never meet nor ever want to meet as they're irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    It's been sitting for a bit.

I personally was disappointed as they hyped that whole thing up yet the reveal was lame. Furthermore, if Jessica doesn't know who the father is, due to how she got pregnant, than it was totally out of line for her to assault Tony Stark for asking. Heck, for all we know he was just wondering if he was the father.

So, the writers and Marvel, in my opinion, made a big deal over nothing and reinforce that the child is pretty much doomed down the line.

Yeah, yeah... It was her choice to get pregnant that way but it was a terrible move by Marvel to act like the child was someone fans knew or cared about. Not nameless Joe that we will never meet nor ever want to meet as they're irrelevant.
    I can't wait for the first writer to "discover" the father. You know its not gonna be a run of the mill dude.

To be fair, Hopeless said all along the father didn't matter and it was more about Jess being mom. He didn't lie he did I hype anything. It was the fans who got all worked up about it (myself included).

I was disappointed but I'm fine with the decision now.

In regards to Tony getting roasted by Jess? He probably asked in a very impolite way and deserved it. Also, it's been made pretty clear that Jess doesn't like Tony in her book. I'm trying to figure out why.

If someone could point me in the right direction for comics that show her and Tony relationship that would be awesome.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    To be fair, Hopeless said all along the father didn't matter and it was more about Jess being mom. He didn't lie he did I hype anything. It was the fans who got all worked up about it (myself included).
    Very much this.

Considering she wasn't really seeing anyone and the previous arc was about being more "normal", she wouldn't want to complicate things by there being a dad.

Oh, I'm sure another writer will make the baby actually important and/or relevant by making the doner end up being a big name like Tony Stark.

I was disappointed but I'm fine with the decision now.

In regards to Tony getting roasted by Jess? He probably asked in a very impolite way and deserved it. Also, it's been made pretty clear that Jess doesn't like Tony in her book. I'm trying to figure out why.

If someone could point me in the right direction for comics that show her and Tony relationship that would be awesome.
    Still a huge waste of time and money and the "mystery" they sold was weak and merely lead readers a long. A huge disappointment.

Doesn't have to like Tony to bed him. After all, She-Hulk has issues with Tony yet she slept with him multiple times. Heck, Maria Hill slept with Tony and they butted heads a great deal.

I'm sure their "relationship" happened during the 8 months thing.

Ultimate Member

Yeah the "reveal" doesn't bother me. It needing to be a "reveal" at all, that does. The whole "mystery" angle, and dragging it out for so damn long, for THIS, is really lame. And Hopeless can say "oh the dad doesn't matter" all he wants, but it rings hollow since he still chose to drag out the "mystery" for so long. If the readers built up expectations, then it's Hopeless's own fault because he made the decision to go "well it's a secret, and I'm going to make you wait for quite awhile to find out the answer" when he didn't have to. He could have just told us this straight-away and nothing really changes.

It's one of the things that annoys me in lots of fiction, doing a "mystery plot" solely for the sake of doing one, and not because there's any truly compelling reason for it or the payoff will end up being worth it. It's a cheap gimmick to try and draw in more readers, and keep them reading, simply because they want to find out the answer.

BANNED

i always thought it was gonna be danny rand considering he's blonde and is wearing green.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah the "reveal" doesn't bother me. It needing to be a "reveal" at all, that does. The whole "mystery" angle, and dragging it out for so damn long, for THIS, is really lame. And Hopeless can say "oh the dad doesn't matter" all he wants, but it rings hollow since he still chose to drag out the "mystery" for so long. If the readers built up expectations, then it's Hopeless's own fault because he made the decision to go "well it's a secret, and I'm going to make you wait for quite awhile to find out the answer" when he didn't have to. He could have just told us this straight-away and nothing really changes.

It's one of the things that annoys me in lots of fiction, doing a "mystery plot" solely for the sake of doing one, and not because there's any truly compelling reason for it or the payoff will end up being worth it. It's a cheap gimmick to try and draw in more readers, and keep them reading, simply because they want to find out the answer.
    Hopeless is a hack who cannot work a story without creating some idiotic "hook" calculated more for generating buzz online than whenever it makes sense. Yet people will defend any piece of shit he produces because they want to fill their decision to buy a spiteful book about murdering goodcharacters was rightful decision and not a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    I can't wait for the first writer to "discover" the father. You know its not gonna be a run of the mill dude.
    Nah, man, it's going to be Wolverine!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Having the father be a null is probably the worst decision ever made with Spider-Woman (and this includes non-existence!). It just creates a massive loose thread that will need to be tied up eventually. And it seems a very irresponsible decision for her.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

She wanted a baby. Did her research. How is she being irresponsible? Just bc she decided to go the AI route rather vthan shack up with a random guy? Nah, I like the decision now. Besides the baby has Ben and Rodger and how many avengers as father figures.

There are police offers who are single mom's...are they being irresponsible? If something is part of you y and makes you who you are, you shouldn't be forced to give it up because you're a mother. Sit it on the sidelines for awhile sure, but not give it up completely. And that is a big part of what the first arc is about.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

You know what... yeah, single parent cops are being irresponsible. As an only parent, your first priority is to not put your life in danger.

But she's not being a cop. She's being a superhero, and that's orders of magnitude more dangerous.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 05-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

She wanted a baby. Did her research. How is she being irresponsible? Just bc she decided to go the AI route rather vthan shack up with a random guy? Nah, I like the decision now. Besides the baby has Ben and Rodger and how many avengers as father figures.

There are police offers who are single mom's...are they being irresponsible? If something is part of you y and makes you who you are, you shouldn't be forced to give it up because you're a mother. Sit it on the sidelines for awhile sure, but not give it up completely. And that is a big part of what the first arc is about.
    The fact that she refused to tell her friends about it, dragged it out and assaulted Tony for asking is unacceptable. Jessica acted like a child.

Worse of all is her still choosing to fight crime while mid-late term pregnant.

Not to mention that she could have easily adopted or had a surrogate.

I doubt those police officers were on the streets fighting crime while pregnant. They were either on leave or put to a desk job until the pregnancy had passed. Putting someone pregnant on the front lines is extremely irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeBeherit View Post
    If you thought the story was waste of time and money, then this isn't your kind of story. They addressed pretty quickly that the father was not important. That's why Tony got blasted, he was the stand in for all the inevitable fans that were going to ask "So who is the Daddy?" It's not out of line. Just because she doesn't know that dad, doesn't mean she can't find the question annoying. It really is none of peoples business, and they moved on right away. It was about her being pregnant and kicking Skrull ass after that. They didn't lead people whatsoever.

That's fine, you can have sex with someone that you have issues with, that doesn't mean you want them to be the father of your baby.

In a superhero world there has to be some suspension of disbelief. Otherwise we would all be up in arms every single time this happened.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1bf1ae23e3.jpg
    And the mystery was forced, lame and uncalled for as was assaulting Tony who simply asked a question that may be relevant to him as he could have been in a past relationship with her recently. Jessica was written like a child with her inappropriate behavior and antics.

I also find her extremely irresponsible and untrusting that she chose to fight crime while pregnant instead of trusting her friends and comrades.

Than she should have been clear to Tony that he wasn't the father as that's the only real reason he would be interested enough to ask her. I doubt he could care less if there was no chance at all that he was the father. This implies that he slept with her during the past 8 months and he actually wanted to know. More than likely if he was the father than he wanted to be involved. Instead Jessica assaulted him, yelled at him and acted like a child.

Furthermore there are plenty of father's that don't want anything to do with their children, so Tony wanting to know shouldn't have caused Jessica to assault him.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 05-29-2016 at 02:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Having the father be a null is probably the worst decision ever made with Spider-Woman (and this includes non-existence!). It just creates a massive loose thread that will need to be tied up eventually.
    Well, it's up there. That's for sure. However there has been other big mistakes of late too such as making her go Private Eye again when theres a big Netflix show staring another Private Eye named Jessica with Bendis teasing his return to writing her in just a few months who's also a young mother. The right way to go about series these days for lesser known to the general public characters is to set up worthy plots of MCU movies or Netflix spin offs, else you run the risk of having everything you write retconned slowly as it gets realigned to be closer to the MCU and as much as I like some aspects of these series it's setting itself up to be retconned. Worse it's super predictable how this will turn out.

Or look at making her quit The Avengers (arguably the thing that gave her the most success she's ever had) and cutting all ties to Black Widow that Secret Avengers set up amazingly well. It pretty much was big and little sister craziness in hilarious ways, yet Hopeless seems determined to burn those bridges and the solicitations for Civil War I I are teasing almost the same for Capitan Marvel. It's almost as if Hopeless doesn't like any other strong women who could outshine Jessica. Further he seems to have depowered her a bit, her venom blasts are smaller, she's losing her edge, she got beat up by a slow moving load lifter she should have dodged with ease (she's dodged a powered up Hulk), he almost never has her gliding but motorcycling, never uses her pharamones, etc... all for the sake of drama with weaklings she'd normally dominate. Honestly I think he should be writing Jessica Jones instead. He's pretty much made Jessica her anyways, and at least Hopelesses writing is better than Bendis these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    And it seems a very irresponsible decision for her.
    Well, it is certainly selfish to not care about the risks and impulsive from a readers pov because its 100% out of Jessica's character in all choices she's ever made in any non Hopeless series before and Hopeless poorly set it up (a few after the fact explanations aren't set up to a reader just poor writing). Jessica. Drew. Hates. Kids. Any changes to this status quo should have had long run set up, not a systematic reworking of her character trait and 1 arc at a time prior then a pregnant pic cover reveal. Thats pure gimmick writing at best. Look at Jason Aaron's Jane Foster Thor, he brilliantly alluded to her for years. That's how this should have been done. Hopeless just changed continuity and said Jessica changed her mind... there's a reason so many hate him as an author because he has a track record of this that's getting him a bad reputation and Spider-Woman is just the latest series

Jessica's most logical story involving getting pregnant should have been planned parenthood against the father's wishes. That's just who she was before. She had a total 180 with no real set up, then as others have argued the series dragged out a who's the father's mystery by refusing to say anything to the point of making it an issue everyone had to notice but then ignored the dramatic principle of Chekhov's Gun and didn't fire the preverbial gun with a reveal but rather a non reveal that it shouldn't matter. It just shows that Hopeless and his editorial made a very poor choice there for whatever reasons. Again it was all told after the fact and his whole reveal of the kids being a sperm bank baby should have been told to the reader first before Stark being a pushing her from a thematic perspective to avoid making fans think Hopeless was setting up a Father reveal. The split in the fan base here is 100% Hopeless's fault as he broke a golden rule of dramatic principal, then tried to defect it on the fans who don't read his twitter or interviews which they shouldn't be required to do.

Irresponsible though is kinda subjective and taking your argument to its extremes having kids at all is irresponsible since it's an evil crewel world and Jessica is a strong willed and vocal woman who will naturally attract that evil world's actions because she won't just be a mindless drone serving those above. That said I do tend to agree, she placed a ton of risk on her kid simply by having himand more so withno support structure. Simply put, the world is horrible but humans kinda do have a biological imperative to have them anyways regardless of their situation there by making her no more irresponsible than people in third world countries or poor people or rich people not in a marriage with love or that's falling apart, etc. In some ways Jessica has more to offer a kid than any of those groups to play devils advocatethough.

Don't get me wrong I like the series (especially its first arc in ANAD) but it's very very flawed on so many levels. I can't help but think this will only create problems down the road due to being way to similar to Jones and the MCU won't touch an adaptation of this at all so will 'fix' it later. Plus what's with the MC2 nod with her kids name, the MC2 died a slow death for a reason and her son there had a bad fate. Editorial seems to have forced that on Hopeless too as issue 1 clearly teased twins or more and Hopeless did say it was a late change (obviously meaning editirial).

I'm literally wondering how they'll fix the problem of the kid as soon as a new creator inevitably takes over. Such as age it, send it to 'family', hire a permanent sitter/nanny, send it to daddy, bring back her dad to kidnap it, or just wiping it from continuity via something like time travel among many other things they could do. Babies in series with characters who don't age much in 40 years is kinda problematic.
    Last edited by LordRyus; 05-28-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol