View Poll Results: Preferred status of classic Robin suit

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be retconned out of history - NOBODY ever wore that suit.

24 24.74%
  • Leave it in the past: it's part of history, but don't ever revive it.

64 65.98%
  • It should be revived for active duty.

9 9.28%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Preferred status of classic, original Robin costume?

The original Robin costume was worn by Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Carrie Kelly, and (briefly) Tim Drake between the first appearance of Robin in 1940 and the suit's retirement from all media at the end of the 1980s. Going forward in the Post-REBIRTH DC comics, what should be the status of the original Robin costume?
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

I said it shouldn't be seen again; I was born in 1990, so quite frankly I've never been used to the idea of Robin with bare legs. He wore pants in BTAS, Teen Titans, and in Tim Drake's suit.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

I'm fine with all the New 52 Robin costumes. Running around fighting murderers and rapists with a little kid in his underwear - look, that's never been my favorite part of the Batman mythos. Still love plenty of stories that have that costume though.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I said it shouldn't be seen again; I was born in 1990, so quite frankly I've never been used to the idea of Robin with bare legs. He wore pants in BTAS, Teen Titans, and in Tim Drake's suit.
    I was born 98 and I still believe it should be the first Robin costume wore by Dick. It's iconic whether people like it or not. Maybe the first year or so Dick uses it but then changes it out for something like the 90s Drake suit.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

I don't see the big problem with adding some trousers.

The original Robin costume worked in the past and should be fondly remembered.
    However, I can't see it being used again. It's should remain behind glass in the Batcave
    as a piece of Robin's history.

Last edited by Herowatcher; 05-29-2016 at 01:59 AM.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Give him boots instead of pixie boots and pants instead green short shorts. Do NOT change everything and turn it into a massively over designed mess.

I vote for keeping it as a past costume, probably the one that Dick wore when he started out, that was closest to his circus origins. He could well have changed it - and covered the legs - as he grew older, as an extra step in his evolution to Nightwing, which would then make it natural for Jason and Tim's costumes to be based on that later suit.

But it's a classic, instantly recognisable costume, and should at least show up occasionally in a glass case in the Batcave. I hate that the new 52 has retconned it out of existence entirely. Maybe it'll be one of the things they ultimately remember as having fallen victim to the time compression.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I vote for keeping it as a past costume, probably the one that Dick wore when he started out, that was closest to his circus origins. He could well have changed it - and covered the legs - as he grew older, as an extra step in his evolution to Nightwing, which would then make it natural for Jason and Tim's costumes to be based on that later suit.

But it's a classic, instantly recognisable costume, and should at least show up occasionally in a glass case in the Batcave. I hate that the new 52 has retconned it out of existence entirely. Maybe it'll be one of the things they ultimately remember as having fallen victim to the time compression.
    Agree with you there.

Since Rebirth is about embracing DC's past, with all its silliness and whimsy, I'm all for having it be part of continuity. But in all seriousness, it just isn't a design that'll work in contemporary comics (or in contemporary media period). Except for maybe a Golden Age/Silver Age retro story...

My personal favorite Robin suits are the original Tim Drake suit (which Dick wore in BTAS) and Tim's all-red suit.

Incredible Member

It's the original, it's the first. I don't think Robins going forward need to be wearing it, but I also think the redesign they did for it is much uglier than having Dick running around in knickers (yes, yes I know it's a leotard).

Leave it in the past: it's part of history, but don't ever revive it.

BANNED

I'm all for iconography and preserving history, but I just can't accept that a kid born in the 90s, like present day Dick Grayson, would ever wear that thing. I'm fine with it being used in golden/silver age homages like Teen Titans year one, but I don't mind it being retconned from existence in the main continuity.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Get rid of it, it's an eyesore. Dick's first Robin suit should be the B:TAS one, which has all the iconic design elements anyway. And the added benefit of pants and decent boots.

BANNED

It should be the costume that Dick and Jason weared back in the day but it shouldn't be used again unless it's a flash back about Dick or Jason as Robin.

I chose retconned out of existence. It has its place in the history of comics, but it shouldn't have any place in the history of the current timeline. I think that the B:TAS Robin suit should be the first Robin suit, and Tim's only Robin suit should be the red and black one. Dick's costume should have the heaviest use of yellow, imo. Im not sure why i think that, but i do.