Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Character standings at the start of Detective Comics Rebirth

Since Detective Comics is going to have a new team with many characters who've never met, I figured it would be good to discuss where all these characters stand in regard to their personal relationships with each other (and where they'll likely be at the start of the run): positive, negative, or neutral.

After thinking about it, here's what I've got:

Basil-Bruce: Negative. No reason to think they're on good terms.

Basil-Cass: Neutral. Never met.

Basil-Kate: On the whole, neutral. They worked together briefly and Kate seemed to like him, but if he has amnesia now, who knows?

Basil-Steph: Same as Bruce.

Basil-Tim: Same as Bruce.

Bruce-Cass: Positive. Bruce has taken Cass under his wing.

Bruce-Kate: Positive. They last interacted on good terms, so unless something's happened off-panel, they should still be okay.

Bruce-Steph: Positive. No reason to think they're on bad terms.

Bruce-Tim: Same as Steph.

Cass-Kate: Neutral. Never met.

Cass-Steph: Neutral-to-postive. Steph initially thought Cass was dangerous and referred to her as less than a person due to her lack of speech, but seemed to warm up to her due to Harper's influence.

Cass-Tim: Negative-ish. Tim was kind of a dick to her. Not intentionally, and likely just a result of bad writing, but still.

Kate-Steph: Neutral-ish. Kate personally contacted her during Endgame to give her an assignment, so she knows she exists and doesn't seem to have a problem with her, but nothing else.

Kate-Tim: Similar to Steph. No interactions beyond a brief meeting during Endgame, but didn't seem to have problems.

Tim-Steph: Mostly positive. They've met a few times, but just on "business". There's a hint of something more between them, but not a lot yet.*

* Edited based on jules's input, as seen below.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-29-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Tim-Steph: Neutral. As far as I know, they've yet to interact at all.
    They met at the end of Batman Eternal and seemed quite taken with each other, if a little shy about it. The impression I got at the start of Batman & Robin Eternal was that Tim had probably kept in touch with Harper between stories, and by extension with Steph as well as she was sharing Harper and Cullen's apartment, but had probably kept it all-business. So they know each other, just not very well as yet. Interaction should probably be upgraded to positive though.

I'm not even sure why clayface is on this team, he seems really out of place with the rest of Bruce's teen sidekicks.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-29-2016 at 05:48 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    They met at the end of Batman Eternal and seemed quite taken with each other, if a little shy about it. The impression I got at the start of Batman & Robin Eternal was that Tim had probably kept in touch with Harper between stories, and by extension with Steph as well as she was sharing Harper and Cullen's apartment, but had probably kept it all-business. So they know each other, just not very well as yet. Interaction should probably be upgraded to positive though.
    I completely forgot about that, you're right. I'll make an edit.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm not even sure why clayface is on this team, he seems really out of place with the rest of Bruce's teen sidekicks.
    I agree, but I think they're going to try to reform him. Plus, his abilities would prove useful for intelligence-gathering on this new Colony group.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-29-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I wish Harper Row was part of this team. Over the course of Batman Eternal, Batman & Robin Eternal and Batgirl, she formed a bond with Cass, and a mutual love/hate working relationship with Steph. It's be nice to see the three of them together in the same title.
    As much as I loved Steph and Cass' relationship pre-Flashpoint, it seems like they're saying to force these versions of the characters into the same relationship, rather than flowing naturally from how the comics have developed.

I wish Harper Row was part of this team just so B&RE wasn't a complete waste of my time and money. U more or less center that book around her only to send her off to limbo. Are kidding me with that DC?
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-30-2016 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I know I'm probably alone in this, but I wish Harper Row was part of this team. Over the course of Batman Eternal, Batman & Robin Eternal and Batgirl, she formed a bond with Cass, and a mutual love/hate working relationship with Steph.
    Hi Cowtools,

Yeh, having Harper around to continue her relationships would be nice but I think they want to give her a break while Cass and Steph ramp up. Plus, Tim/Steph/Cass are the classic pre-52 teen Gotham trio... Harper wasn't in the mix back in the day. JTIV may want to kick off DC with this Trinity and add Harper in later.

Why do you say "mutual love/hate" for Harp/Steph? I don't recall them clashing in BRE and the bits of them I saw at the end of BG didn't seem hate-ish. But I could have missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    Hi Cowtools,

Yeh, having Harper around to continue her relationships would be nice but I think they want to give her a break while Cass and Steph ramp up. Plus, Tim/Steph/Cass are the classic pre-52 teen Gotham trio... Harper wasn't in the mix back in the day. JTIV may want to kick off DC with this Trinity and add Harper in later.

Why do you say "mutual love/hate" for Harp/Steph? I don't recall them clashing in BRE and the bits of them I saw at the end of BG didn't seem hate-ish. But I could have missed something.
    I recall them snarking at each other, or at least Harper towards Steph, but I might be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Since Detective Comics is going to have a new team with many characters who've never met, I figured it would be good to discuss where all these characters stand in regard to their personal relationships with each other (and where they'll likely be at the start of the run): positive, negative, or neutral.

After thinking about it, here's what I've got:

Basil-Bruce: Negative. No reason to think they're on good terms.

Basil-Cass: Neutral. Never met.

Basil-Kate: On the whole, neutral. They worked together briefly and Kate seemed to like him, but if he has amnesia now, who knows?

Basil-Steph: Same as Bruce.

Basil-Tim: Same as Bruce.

Bruce-Cass: Positive. Bruce has taken Cass under his wing.

Bruce-Kate: Positive. They last interacted on good terms, so unless something's happened off-panel, they should still be okay.

Bruce-Steph: Positive. No reason to think they're on bad terms.

Bruce-Tim: Same as Steph.

Cass-Kate: Neutral. Never met.

Cass-Steph: Neutral-to-postive. Steph initially thought Cass was dangerous and referred to her as less than a person due to her lack of speech, but seemed to warm up to her due to Harper's influence.

Cass-Tim: Negative-ish. Tim was kind of a dick to her. Not intentionally, and likely just a result of bad writing, but still.

Kate-Steph: Neutral-ish. Kate personally contacted her during Endgame to give her an assignment, so she knows she exists and doesn't seem to have a problem with her, but nothing else.

Kate-Tim: Similar to Steph. No interactions beyond a brief meeting during Endgame, but didn't seem to have problems.

Tim-Steph: Mostly positive. They've met a few times, but just on "business". There's a hint of something more between them, but not a lot yet.*

* Edited based on jules's input, as seen below.
    I agree with the majority except for two.

Basil-Bruce: Neutral. I think Bruce will be extremely 'cautious' when it comes to Basil, but at the same time I think he will be willing to give him a chance at redemption.

Cass-Tim: Neutral. As you pointed out when Tim first spoke to Cassandra it was in a child like matter. Though it was notably dickish, he clearly didn't mean any harm with his words. And on the flip side Cass showed no resentment to what was said. So I'd imagine these two will be on neutral ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I recall them snarking at each other, or at least Harper towards Steph, but I might be misremembering.
    They both snark at each other, but it's friendly now. They didn't like each other at first.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    I agree with the majority except for two.

Basil-Bruce: Neutral. I think Bruce will be extremely 'cautious' when it comes to Basil, but at the same time I think he will be willing to give him a chance at redemption.

Cass-Tim: Neutral. As you pointed out when Tim first spoke to Cassandra it was in a child like matter. Though it was notably dickish, he clearly didn't mean any harm with his words. And on the flip side Cass showed no resentment to what was said. So I'd imagine these two will be on neutral ground.
    Good points; I can see both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    Remember in Batman Eternal, Harper thought Steph was vapid and spoiled at first (calling her 'princess' and snarking about her social media duckface) while Steph was suspicious of Harper because she thought Bruce was the man behind the Eternal plot.

Incredible Member

Basil will probably be the one with less friends, lol, i imagine that the others will more or less be okay with each other, seeing as they probably "bounded" off panel after Batman and Robin Eternal ended, in the end, they seemed all in good terms.

Incredible Member

I'm curious though, why do you people think that Cass and Tim are not in good terms? Tim being a Dick to her was CIS imo from Tim Seeley, i don't think we'll see that on detective comics.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

Don't know how I feel about the clayface thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    I'm curious though, why do you people think that Cass and Tim are not in good terms? Tim being a Dick to her was CIS imo from Tim Seeley, i don't think we'll see that on detective comics.
    Agreed, nor do I