Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why DC over Marvel? what are your reasons?

what are the reasons that you like DC over Marvel.... is it the characters, or the structure of the universe seems more appealing than marvel's universe

or do you like them equally?

I wanted to ask you guys what are some of the main reasons you choose DC over Marvel

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Same reason anyone choses something over anything I guess. Both DC & Marvel have good and bad elements to their characters and universe. So at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.

As for me I prefere DC simply because I care more about their characters and multiverse more then Marvels. I just find it more interesting.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I'd say I'm pretty split for the most part of who has the heroes I like the most (my top ones being Batman and Iron Man) but I generally skew more towards DC in my reading habits. I think it's mostly because I often dislike crossovers/tie-ins/events that interrupt series, and over my roughly 2 years of reading both companies so far I've experienced only a little bit(many the Superman line, and it's suffered for it), while it's nearly constant at Marvel (I had to give up on Spider Gwen, I couldn't stand the 5 issues and relaunch, 5 issues and now a crossover with 2 other books I don't read). I also often find myself more satisfied with DC single issues over Marvel(that is, I getting a feeling that an issue was filler/didn't really advance the plot a little more with Marvel).

To me, DC and Marvel are like two flavors of ice-cream.

There's things I like from both of them.

I like DC's teams and their magic characters. (Probably because Marvel's teams tend to all be X-Men or Avengers related, and their magic side's been neglected for a long time -at least til recently)
    I like Marvel's space and street level characters. (Probably because DC's space stuff revolves around Green Lantern and the street level stuff revolves around Batman)

Superman, Captain America, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Green Lantern, Iron Man, Flash, Punisher, Aquaman and Hulk all equally bore me.

It's characters like Doctor Strange, Doctor Fate, Daredevil, Huntress, Moon Knight, Nightwing, Iron Fist, Adam Strange, Luke Cage, Mister Miracle, Spiderwoman, Power Girl, She-Hulk, Blue Beetle, Dominic Fortune, Booster Gold, Silver Sable, Fire, Gambit, Ice, Rogue, Guy Gardner, Silver Surfer, Vixen, the Defenders, the Doom Patrol, New Mutants, Legion of Super-Heroes, Starjammers, JSA... that interest me.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For me in the mid 90's, I switched to DC due to Clone Saga, Heroes Reborn, and other things that ruined these characters. Now because of the New 52, I stick with the independents.

My impression is that Marvel has too much endless soap operas.

I've started relatively recently, but DC won me over for their side characters and history. I bought trades from Marvel, and it seemed like each new series starring the same character discarded any side characters built for the previous series. DC on the other hand is constantly starting side-heroes in one series dedicated to another hero and then launching them into their own title, history intact, if they are popular. Plus their non-hero side characters seem to be nearly as iconic and important as their heroes.

Incredible Member

To me, DC just feels like the pure real superhero universe given the inclusion of quintessential superhero, Superman, the quintessential superheroine, Wonder Woman, not to mention the more pervasive use of classic superhero tropes like capes, secret identities, etc.

Also, although I know it's less than a hundred years old, the DC universe's relative age in comparison to other companies gives it a mythic quality.

I wish I could get into Marvel given that they have way better creative teams and in general have doing a better job with what they have these past few years, but the characters just don't feel...special to me. Doesn't feel like I'm reading a 'superhero' universe.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 05-29-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Dc definitely has more mythology. Batman is like Zorro. Green Arrow is like Robin Hood. Superman is like Hercules, Samson and Zeus. Wonder Woman is from the greek mythology amazons. Flash is like Hermes. Aquaman is like Poseidon. Green Lantern was inspired by Aladdin's lamp. Hawkman is from the planet Mongo. The planet Mongo hawkmen were probably inspired by angels.

I can't explain it. As a kid, the Marvel characters didn't appeal, and as an adult the Marvel characters still don't appeal. I could say that I don't enjoy a lot of angst in my comics, which is true, but I know that's not a fair indictment of the entire Marvel universe. Maybe the core character concepts didn't grab me.

I do enjoy some of the fringe corners of the Marvel universe -- Howard the Duck, Hembeck, Peter Porker. I like the idea of both Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange but never found the right run, I guess.

I like both companies, but DC characters consistently resonate with me in a way that Marvel characters just don't.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't say I prefer DC over Marvel. I prefer certain characters and mythologies to other characters and mythologies. For example, I prefer Green Lantern and Batman to Spider-Man, but I prefer Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four to Superman (even though I do like Superman).

I first started reading comics after the Thor movie. I randomly pirated a volume of Thor and luckily I struck Walt Simonson's work. It proved to me that the medium had merit and could tell compelling stories. Then shortly after DC launched the New 52 and since I was a fan of the 90's DC tv shows I actually started buying comics instead of pirating them. I tried almost everything and after that I really never got back into Marvel, though I did take a look at a few other titles like Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic's Thor and Ms. Marvel.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

DC has better kid and teen characters, which drew me to them when I was younger. I like Marvel too but I connect more with DC for nostalgic reasons.

Marvel. like some people on here said, they are flawed people. spider-man's popularity was because readers related to him. girl problems, school problems, life problems on top of the fact he was spider-man. punisher, was not just some guy that wanted to stop crime, his family was wiped out in a mob hit. he has motivation that people can relate to. there are of course other characters that are not as relatable but take the fantastic four. they were a family but like a lot of families they had personality issues. which took a back seat when it was clobberin time.

for me DC has always been boring. although i will say their vertigo titles back in the 90's were top notch.

however now a days i have been reading more and more Valiant. Marvel just isnt producing enough quality like they did in the past to keep me spending a lot of money on their books.

outside Dr. Strange and Star Wars and Darth Vader its all just mediocre junk. x men books are hollow and vanilla. too many spider-man books, 2099 is waning and going no where. inhumans is less than epic and losing its focus. dardevil seems to be the only book hinting around to secret wars. and for the others i read im sure they will be canceled or after civil war just renumbered and have a bunch of #1's slapped on the cover.
    Last edited by ospfwildcard; 05-29-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.