Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Honestly, I understand why DC keep their movies and TV series separate.

Marvel hasn't really shown any benefit whatsoever in keeping everything in the same universe particularly when the relationship is one sided.

But since DC TV and movies are separate, why can't there be a Suicide Squad on TV? The existence of a very successful Flash TV series hasn't affected their movie development plans with the same character.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Other than Arrow there is absolutely no problems with the rest of the DC TV shows.
    Yeah, that Flash finale was the epitome of not having any problems, LoT was perfect and Supergirl had so few problems CBS threw it at CW.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, I understand why DC keep their movies and TV series separate.

Marvel hasn't really shown any benefit whatsoever in keeping everything in the same universe particularly when the relationship is one sided.

But since DC TV and movies are separate, why can't there be a Suicide Squad on TV? The existence of a very successful Flash TV series hasn't affected their movie development plans with the same character.

The reason they dont like having multiple versions at the same time is just down to competition, confusion has never been the issue in the literal sense. Take a look at the Ezra vs Gustin war, a preference for one version over another among fans and critics= bad word of mouth. It's also down to brand dilution, many of these characters dont have as many good stories and resource pool as fans like to think. Restricting access to the character= restricting access to story ideas in reality. These things may seem trivial to us but people investing hundreds of millions are not going to take chances.

BANNED

I get keeping them separate. But how dumb do they think people are? I should note these rules don't seem to apply to Gotham. But come on its CW show, its not likely to impact your box office even if people are confused.

To me there's no doubt Gustin should've played the flash on the DC Movies.... And I think even WB must have seriously considered that. Problem is, once they legitimize the TV section as part of their cinematic universe, they also have to include Amells' Green Arrow (NOT the best actor in town, you know), have to place an unknown Deadshot fronting the Suicide Squad movie (Losing Will Smiths box office pull...) and so on and so forth.

So It makes perfect sense keeping them separate, much to ustins fans chagrin. Problem is why in the blue hell can't there be a TV version of the suicide squad too??? To "avoid confusing audiences"??

WB keeps making bad decision after bad decision. They have all the rights to all their characters, yet seem utterly uncapable of pleying their cards even remotely right.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    The reason they dont like having multiple versions at the same time is just down to competition, confusion has never been the issue in the literal sense. Take a look at the Ezra vs Gustin war, a preference for one version over another among fans and critics= bad word of mouth. It's also down to brand dilution, many of these characters dont have as many good stories and resource pool as fans like to think. Restricting access to the character= restricting access to story ideas in reality. These things may seem trivial to us but people investing hundreds of millions are not going to take chances.
    That is true, and the minute creatives start to make their own stories, fans start to complain about being faithful to source material and all (If the stories are good, fans are less likely to complain...but there will still be some complaining to go around).

SS is the perfect example here. I like DCTV...but the SS characters aren't anything special, not on TV. From what I have seen (SS movie trailers), the characters seem to be way more interesting.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    When we have actors like Grant Gustin we have every right to be upset and butthurt about it. He wasn't even asked if he would have time to do the movie. It was just Snyder's arrogance that Gustin didn't fit his vision of an angst filled depressed Flash. Grant is a great actor. He could play angst filled and depressed if the script called for it.
    Or maybe Snyder recognized that it would be incredibly confusing for the same actor to play two different versions of the same character in two different media, and decided it just made more sense to get a different actor for the different version of the character?

With all the people complaining about how confusing it will be for two actors to play two different versions of the characters, imagine what it would be like for the same actor to be playing two different versions of the character, with two different sets of friends/family, two different backstories, etc., at the same time (even ignoring the logistical problems with having that happen). People would be confused as to why Wally isn't Iris' half-brother, why Wally's dad isn't in jail, where Harrison Wells went and why Reverse Flash looks different, etc. If DCTV's Flash could fit in the film universe then it'd be fine, Gustin could play the same character with the same backstory and it wouldn't be so jarring. But if they want to go with a different version (e.g., one that more closely matches the comics, or one that resembles a different comic storyline), it wouldn't make sense to have Gustin do that AND do the TV version. And if Gustin goes to the films and stops doing the show, then the quality of the show will likely go down with him. They need him on TV.
    Last edited by minuialear; 05-31-2016 at 08:10 AM.

BANNED

Right Snyder is worried about confusing people. Could have fooled me during BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Right Snyder is worried about confusing people. Could have fooled me during BvS.
    I made the mistake of going along with this, but I do also think we need to stop pretending Snyder has carte blanche to decide what's going on in DCEU. He's had a big hand in the plot, but we have no reason to assume he has control over casting/etc. The fact that he's the spokesperson for the decision doesn't mean he actually had the power to decide what they were going to do.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

It's great to know that people inside WB/DC agree with us as well. I mean honestly with the direction that WB took their universe so far not only do I not have much hope for Suicide Squad, I also don't have hope for the Justice League, which is really sad to say.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I thought the Suicide Squad stuff they were building toward was really cool, and was disappointed to see it dismantled.

That said, I don't think it's ruined ARROW by any stretch of the imagination. It's still a really fun show, and the S4 finale was the best since S2.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    And we'll come to find out the next character to get fridged in Season 5 is Thea Queen.
    LOL, that is so true. We started off with decently large cast and now they've been killing off characters one season at a time. By the time they reach season 8 who are they going to be left with?
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    LOL, that is so true. We started off with decently large cast and now they've been killing off characters one season at a time. By the time they reach season 8 who are they going to be left with?
    Felicity. She says she's not going anywhere.

And yet they made a point of showing that Katana is still alive and kicking in the Arrowverse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GSwarthout View Post
    And yet they made a point of showing that Katana is still alive and kicking in the Arrowverse.
    Based on that I'm assuming Katana won't make it out alive in the Suicide Squad film.