Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Dragonstone View Post
    Eh I love Willa but honestly based on how subpar Arrow has been the past few seasons, I'm a little relieved they didn't get a chance to butcher Suicide Squad the way they butchered characters like Ra's Al Ghul with lame story arcs, pathetic action sequences, and corny generic dialogue. Also I get the feeling she hasn't been paying that much attention to the MCU/MTU connection. Part of her argument was that Grant and Stephen should've been in Justice League because of the connection the MCU has with the MTU but in reality that connection is not nearly as close as some fans like to brag about. In reality the MCU doesn't acknowledge the netflix shows at all and barely acknowledge the ABC shows. In fact AOS star Chloe Bennet even recently complained in an interview about how much the MCU is ignoring the MTU. Ya Coulson started out in the MCU but since he's been on AOS he hasn't been in a single movie and Peggy has only been in a few film scenes here and there(for good reason but still), nothing major since the first Captain America movie. We got Fury, Maria Hill, and lady Sif for an episode or two of AOS but again those seemed like one and done appearances nothing with any real substance that would lead over to any future films. No cameo appearances from a Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Captain America etc which would be the actual equivalent in importance/impact of a character like Flash being featured in both the tv shows and the films. Point is it seems a little hypocritical for Willa to use AOS as an example of the connection between the films and the tv shows when literally the biggest star of AOS recently complained about the lack of cohesiveness between the films and tv shows, if AOS was such a great example then the stars of the show wouldn't be complaining about how much the MCU is ignoring them lmao.
    Willa needs to read this because cleary she does not get it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Clue us in. I haven't noticed any.
    Me neither.

Two in AoU, but you only know about them if you watch AoS:

1. Coulson provides Hill with the location of the scepter and base that is assaulted in the opening
    2. The helicarrier that Fury shows up in was also provided Coulson

While characters from the show don't appear (aside from the Dr. character with Strucker in the opening, but pretty sure he was in the post credits TWS before appearing AoS), there are tacit connections. Just not a lot, and only if you consume all of media offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    By the way there are few mcu movies that do have a few references from mcu shows,but folks need rewatch or pay attention.
    Age of Ultron has two.

1) The Avengers find Strucker in the beginning of the movie due to Coulson's team locating them.

2) Nick Fury gets a Helicarrier from Coulson's team, who is still using SHIELD tech.

The trouble is that you don't have to watch SHIELD, unless you have to know EVERY little tidbit about the MCU. Like the Abomination is in a cryo-cell in the Arctic or the Absorbing Man is running around.

Mighty Member

All of that is the TV show itself striving to be relevant. Finding places they can fit into continuity. The movies themselves don't specifically say, "We got this from Coulson." Movies don't acknowledge it all.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf1984 View Post
    Age of Ultron has two.

1) The Avengers find Strucker in the beginning of the movie due to Coulson's team locating them.

2) Nick Fury gets a Helicarrier from Coulson's team, who is still using SHIELD tech.

The trouble is that you don't have to watch SHIELD, unless you have to know EVERY little tidbit about the MCU. Like the Abomination is in a cryo-cell in the Arctic or the Absorbing Man is running around.
    No really a true connected universe if I can see the movies and understand them without bother watching the TV shows.

Incredible Member

All of that is the TV show itself striving to be relevant. Finding places they can fit into continuity. The movies themselves don't specifically say, "We got this from Coulson." Movies don't acknowledge it all.
    Exactly. This whole Marvel single universe thing is a gimmick. I watch every MCU movies and I do not get the impression that I absolutely need to watch the TV shows in order to understand the MCU. The movies cover that part very well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    No really a true connected universe if I can see the movies and understand them without bother watching the TV shows.
    Isn't that like saying Marvel Comics isn't a true connected universe if you can read an issue of Captain America and understand it without bothering to read Spider-Woman?

The movie and TV-verses aren't intractably intertwined at the deep root level but there are connections, however loose. And, quite frankly, that level of connection probably woks best for both sides.

Mighty Member

I guess you can consider film to be the big summer comic event that all the tie-ins (like Agents of SHIELD, in this analogy), reference for their own stories, but the main event rarely (or in this case, never) references the tie-ins. Slott's events seem to break that rule, where important things happen for the first time in the ancillary books, but you didn't have to read Fantastic Four to find out about Prison 42, or Thunderbolts to see how Bullseye and Taskmaster showed up in Civil War.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

she must have left the series to tell everything she thinks, neither Amell had talked about it. But I agree with her.

They don't have to specifically say it, because it's established in the show. Because they are connected.

It may not be the super deep, mega permeable connection people want to see, but the connections are there.

Scott_R

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    What exactly has been the benefit of connecting the movies and TV shows? The two best TV shows (Jessica Jones and Daredevil) have nothing to do with the movies beyond referencing the events of the Avengers. Agents of SHIELD is completely ignored by the films, and with the exception of Nick Fury, none of the major characters have appeared on it.
    Not 100% true. In the episode of Agents of SHIELD that aired just before Age of Ultron came out, Agent Coulson locates Loki's sceptre and give the information to Maria Hill. The Avengers then retrieve it in AoU. The whole opening of Age of Ultron is a sort of continuation of what happened in that TV episode.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    How exactly would grant film the 23 episode seasons of flash in Canada he is contracted for and also appear as the flash in a movie filming in the UK for five months?

These guys are primarily butthurt they aren't getting bigger spotlights in movies and act like wb owes them roles in blockbuster movies simply because they play a different version of the characters on tv.

When they signed on to play these characters I doubt there was a stipulation in their contract that said they also get to play the characters in any movie adaptation.
    Again you are missing my point. Another poster commented about the actors speaking out about the way they are treated by the movie division. I included Tom Canvanagh as one of those actors speaking out.
    Whether you agree with him or not is irrelevant to his point that TV actors are treated like second class citizens.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Again you are missing my point. Another poster commented about the actors speaking out about the way they are treated by the movie division. I included Tom Canvanagh as one of those actors speaking out.
    Whether you agree with him or not is irrelevant to his point that TV actors are treated like second class citizens.
    When you have actors like Amell, it does not surprise me. No one should be upset and butthurt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    When you have actors like Amell, it does not surprise me. No one should be upset and butthurt about it.
    When we have actors like Grant Gustin we have every right to be upset and butthurt about it. He wasn't even asked if he would have time to do the movie. It was just Snyder's arrogance that Gustin didn't fit his vision of an angst filled depressed Flash. Grant is a great actor. He could play angst filled and depressed if the script called for it.