Default The Rock Plays a Superhero Named Clark who Has a Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic

The Rock is starring in an upcoming Doc Savage movie:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/30/11...-of-iron-man-3

As the article and embedded tweet in the article point out, Doc Savage was a predecessor to Superman. His first name was Clark, he had a Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic, he had superhuman strength and senses, etc..

His nickname was, and I am not making this up, "The Man of Bronze".

Anyone know who owns the comic book rights to Doc Savage? DC Comics? Marvel? Someone else? Could they be public domain by now?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Really glad to hear this is going through. The Rock is a really interesting choice. The idea of playing up his eccentricity is great. It may actually see the same sort of success Guardians of the Galaxy had with the socially awkward Drax played by former wrestler Dave Bautista.

On a Superman related note, this could be our "fix" since the current film Superman is..um *ahem* less then ideal and less then charismatic. I've been a sucker for the pulp action take on Superman since I picked up Tom Strong (basically "what if the pulp hero replace the Superhero"). I hope this is were I get my fun with the "Super-man" concept. I hope Black and The Rock lean into the more awkward elements of the concept.

Pretty optimistic about all of this! Also I think Dynamite has the rights but I can't be sure. He may actually be public.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

Anyone know who owns the comic book rights to Doc Savage? DC Comics? Marvel? Someone else? Could they be public domain by now?
    The current publisher is Dynamite Entertainment. DC published a Doc Savage series from1987 to 1990 and a one shot with Batman in 2009. Dark Horse had a four issue mini-series in 1995.
    Prior to that Marvel in 1972, and Gold Key in 1966. Street & Smith did some comic books in the 1940s.

I really enjoyed the First Wave comics DC did a few years back, had Doc and the Shadow and other pulp heroes existing along with Batman.
    I think the Rock is a perfect choice for The Man of Bronze, not waiting to hear who they get for the Fab Five.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Sounds pretty cool.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It's a shame DC couldn't keep the rights to Doc and Spirit. The First Wave universe was kind of interesting. You can still get the full book if you want it but who knows how long that will last. I'm surprised that whoever owns Doc let DC give Superman a "Fortress of Solitude" considering the fact that he got one first.

One thing I've never understood is whether Doc Savage was really superhuman or peak human(like Captain America). There is a difference. Peak human is more along the lines of a gold-medalist Olympian while superhuman is being able to do something no real life human has ever been capable of doing(like leaping over a skyscraper or holding an entire car over your head).

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    One thing I've never understood is whether Doc Savage was really superhuman or peak human(like Captain America). There is a difference. Peak human is more along the lines of a gold-medalist Olympian while superhuman is being able to do something no real life human has ever been capable of doing(like leaping over a skyscraper or holding an entire car over your head).
    Actually I'd say that Steve Rogers and a few of the other captains have been superhuman, just not Hulk/Superman super. Anyway, Doc Savage is peak human like Batman.