Narff

Default "Belgium's Mignola"

Hi all ! First, please forgive my english, I'm french
    Well, I'm really loving Hellboy and ALL Mignola's works. Long live to Mignola and his marvelous work !

Several days ago, I went through a book store and saw a new comic book who immediately caught my eyes, because it looked a lot like Mignola's work (I must precise I'm living in France, which will be important later). It is called "Dessous: La montagne des morts" by Bones (in english it could be translated by "Below : The Mountain of the Deads").
    After several researches, I found this : http://www.sandawe.com/fr/projets/montagne-des-morts (and there is even a trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBscXEhG2SU )
    Well, it's all in french (sorry for that). In short, this is a successfully crowd-funded comic book in french (with the Belgian platform sandawe.com). This comicbook is only the first tome of a serie. And thanks to it's successful crowd-funding campaign, it is even is being sold in libraries.
    My problem is... That visuals/art-style looks like Mignola's work a lot (except some small things in the colors). And the story/atmosphere reminds Mignola's work too : french soldiers (WWI) (Hellboy : American soldiers, WWII), paranormal, tentacles, madness, Lovecraft... (but please remember that I didn't read the whole comic in detail, this is all I saw while looking at the pages, and searching on the web).
    I quickly looked in the "thanks" part of the book, nowhere was the name of Mignola (no thanks, no reference to inspiration)...

So, why do I would like to take this to your attention ? (and maybe even to Mignola's attention) It's because here in France, Mignola's work isn't well known (sadly). And there, we've an unknown french-speaker author who clearly begin a saga who looks a lot like Mignola's work. And he never talks about Mignola concerning his work -which implicitly says "it's my art-style and ideas"- except when you talk to him and say that it "remind Mignola's work", you've got in general at best an answer like "yes, I do love Mignola's work".
    This author is unknown, a lot of people say "his talent is impressive" and sometimes, some people say "it reminds Migola's work" ("reminds", "make think at", ...).

For example, here is a part (badly translated) of his only biography that I found and that you can find here http://www.bedetheque.com/auteur-39047-BD-Bones.html :
    "[...] he is on the way of success thanks to his sharped/angular "comics" style which is of an incredible efficiency. It only needed one year for Bones to succeed to launch it's poject "Dessous: la montagne des morts" on the crowd-funding platform Sandawe.com. We highly encourage you to give some money if his comic is appealing you ! In the program : monsters, living deads, sweat and blood, in a WWI setting. So go see on Sandawe.com or his facebook's page, and give him money, give him because it's worth it, because you'll be able to say "I'm one of the first to have believed in its talent" and because you won't regret it !"

I don't want especially to destroy his work and I'm not for "over-protecting" things (copyright, visual style... over protection isn't a good thing). But Mignola created an impressive and amazing style. He won a lot of awards for his work. So I'm not saying lawsuit (or throwing rocks) should be done. But I simply wanted Mignola and his community to know this, and the existence of this comic book. Because, of course, it's only in French, so... how would you all know about it ?

Sorry for the bad explanations and repetitions, but writing good English isn't easy :P

I'm feeling very mixed about all of this, and don't really know how to react. What do you think about this ?
    Last edited by Narff; 05-30-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don't think it's a problem. I can see the similarities between the two, and this artist is very clearly Mignola inspired, but as long as he was the guy who created this art, and it doesn't violate any of Mignola's copyrighted material, it's honestly not a big deal.

Looks great.

There's a plenty artists that either inspired or trying to be you know copy cats. It's not a big deal actually.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Others have mimicked his style more overtly, but this doesn't seem too overboard. Maybe the story and imagery are a bit more along Mignola lines than what I've seen elsewhere. I have this book, but have yet to read it.

I remember a book called "Robot 13" that was VERY Mignola-esque.