Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Kents: Alive or Dead?

Basic question. Should Ma Pa Kent be alive or dead whilst Clark is Superman?

Yes, yes I prefer they are.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Astonishing Member

Dead- and from something not directly connected to Clark. No 5th dimensional hi-jinx to screw with Superman's life. No attack from Brainiac that targets Jonathan. And definitely not swept up in a tornado while Clark stands by under orders from Jonathan not to interfere.

Something like a heart attack or a run of the mill accident while Clark is away. An everyday event that reminds Clark that for all his powers there will always be things beyond even his control.

Much as I came to like having Ma and Pa Kent alive during the post-CoIE run, since the decision was made to have them deceased in the post-Flashpoint run of the New52 and DC hasn't reset EVERYTHING to the way it was before Flashpoint, they shouldn't be suddenly returned to life now.

Alive.....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Much as I came to like having Ma and Pa Kent alive during the post-CoIE run, since the decision was made to have them deceased in the post-Flashpoint run of the New52 and DC hasn't reset EVERYTHING to the way it was before Flashpoint, they shouldn't be suddenly returned to life now.
    I'm not talking about them being alive in rebirth. Just in general, which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I'm not talking about them being alive in rebirth. Just in general, which do you prefer?
    Oh, in that case . . . see:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post

Spectacular Member

I don't mind them being alive, though if they do die I'd rather it be something like old age or the heart attack from...huh, I don't remember the story but it was a powerful scene.

My biased preference is that Jonathan dies of a heart attack while Martha lives, as in the movies, but I have absolutely no problem with both of them dying because that was the status quo practically since the characters were created and up till the first crisis. Them being alive doesn't bother me either but in spite of what some people have said, the Kents are NOT Clark's version of Alfred, at least not as an adult Superman.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

They were most relevant post-Crisis/pre-Brainiac when they were alive and supporting characters in Superman's life.

So I say alive.

I dunno, that logic to me is like saying the Waynes would be more relevant if they were alive and supporting characters in the Batman books. Of course they would be more relevant if they were alive and active in the story arcs, but the question is, should they be alive?

It was interesting to see them alive and as actual supporting characters during the post-crisis era, i'd rather them be dead. After a while it got tiresome seeing Clark run to Kansas to cry on his parents shoulders, the post-Crisis Superman was intentionally weak and having his parents alive attributed to that. No more Mamma's Boy Clark for a while, Clark can be too human at times and I kinda dislike that. Superman should be like a god that's larger than life. Superman should be a savior to mankind and having living parents takes away from that a little.

That said, you can let Martha Kent live but you should at least have Jon Kent pass like he did in multiple Superman movies.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I do think it's weird that both Kent's are dead still, I wonder if they will ever bring them back.

There's no way of sense to do it at this point. But then again when has that stopped them. If the Superman books are becoming The White Family, might as well bring back the grandparents in the same convoluted manner they brought back the old Superman, I guess.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El