Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tomasi, Gleason Talk the Death of Superman, "Truth, Justice & Family" in Rebirth

Peter Tomasi & Patrick Gleason discuss the game-changing events of "Superman" #52, in which two Men of Steel died, and what to expect from Rebirth.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Peter Tomasi & Patrick Gleason discuss the game-changing events of "Superman" #52, in which two Men of Steel died, and what to expect from Rebirth.

Full article here.
    Can you guys maybe cut the shit with the spoiler filled titles? Getting a little out of control lately. Its one thing to have the spoilers in the body, but in the subject line? Come on, guys. You can do better.

Fantastic Member

We've met this Superman. For 25 years.

The Superman we should have known better was New 52.

But no, let's kill him, and bring on Superdad and his Superkid.

Awesome. Good luck with that.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Agreed. And they even said that after a while they won't even reference n52 Superman anymore. Heh, what a way to show some fans the door.

EDIT: I mean, Tomasi: "who is he? What makes him tick? What are his dreams?" WE ALREADY KNOW THAT. I read about that guy for about 15 years.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    We've met this Superman. For 25 years.

The Superman we should have known better was New 52.

But no, let's kill him, and bring on Superdad and his Superkid.

Awesome. Good luck with that.
    I always felt that a public identity Superman who openly embraced his alien identity would be an interesting concept. But here's to other superheroes who embody that now.

Mighty Member

So with new 52 Superman gone what will happen to new 52 Lois Lane? There is an extra Lois Lane left hanging around in the DC Universe. Will the new 52 Lois Lane be eaten by a sharknado to make pre new 52 Lois Lane unique? Can't believe DC is trashing all the cool things they've done with Superman in the last years and going back to the boring Lois & Clark Superman. Oh well it was cool to have de-powered Superman while it lasted, most interesting Superman that has ever been, sadly it didn't last too long.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

How about that Lois gets her own book? And why is that the most interesting, depowered, when you have a George Reeves avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcdearmon View Post
    Can you guys maybe cut the shit with the spoiler filled titles? Getting a little out of control lately. Its one thing to have the spoilers in the body, but in the subject line? Come on, guys. You can do better.
    Welcome, thanks for becoming a forum member. I have to imagine that you have been lurking, or at least looking at the main site from time to time. In that case, how is there any conceivable spoiler at this point?

Looks Awesome!!!!!!

I'm actually excited about the Superman Titles again.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to do something I haven't done for years.......
    Read my Superman comics 1st on Wednesday!!!!!

Usually they are on the bottom of my read pile.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    How about that Lois gets her own book? And why is that the most interesting, depowered, when you have a George Reeves avatar?
    I like nostalgia but doesn't means I can't recognize a fresh spin on an old character and like that more.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

"He [Superman] cannot stand by and watch bad stuff happen. He just can't; it's just not in his DNA. He doesn't even think about the repercussions. It strikes him right in the moment. Is something happening? Is someone in danger? That's all that counts. 'I have to do good. Right here. Right now.'" ~Peter Tomasi

This man gets it! I'm so excited for this comic, I just can't wait!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I like nostalgia but doesn't means I can't recognize a fresh spin on an old character and like that more.
    Fresh spin on an old character is the most accurate way to describe this story. If you don't like it that's fine, but you should at least read one issue before deciding that. It's at a reduced price, why not?

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I've made posts on these forums, showing I'm not happy about Nuperman's death, and about going in this direction, with Superdad...as have a small band of others....so I won't necessarily repeat, but this thread, with the interviews shown does prompt some questioning....

Seems Tomasi and Gleason are running forward to the new status quo, leaping towards this at Superman #1...fair enough but Superman Rebirth is then going to have to do a lot to explain the continuity issues, the issues about the convoluted nature of Superman canon now...

Who indeed is SuperDad, and his Lois, and son...where are they from etc...how do things fit with the existence still of NuLois.....if this Superman can't just standby, he's got to act and help, as Tomasi says, well how is his inaction during New52 explained, what kept him at the sidelines, and why is he coming to the forefront now, considering his situation is unchanged if the "excuse" of fear for safety of his wife and (superpowered) son was anything to do with his former reluctance...

I'm sure others will point out further discrepancies, but my point here is, leaving aside my unacceptance of Superdad, it can't be denied there are glaring discrepancies that seek a response before we start banging the drum of "truth, justice and family", don't you think?

Jon
    Last edited by SplinteringHeart; 05-31-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

I mean, this is the Superman that I know best, the one who was "born" (out of COIE, sorta, retcons and whosawhats) the same year I was. But do I "know him" better than New 52 Superman (who is totally just his time-stolen chronal double anyway)? Here, Clark's had ten more years pass. I know his backstory previous to that pretty well. John Byrne, myriad Crises, marries Lois, depowered after IC, Johns run, New Krypton, Grounded, Paul Cornell, Blackest Night, all those jams. But man, he's been living covertly for ten years - ten years couched inside the New 52's fundamentally time-stolen timeline. And he was there at Convergence, too.

A lot happens in ten years as a family man and secret superhero.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Some red boots on the new outfit would have been great!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Fresh spin on an old character is the most accurate way to describe this story. If you don't like it that's fine, but you should at least read one issue before deciding that. It's at a reduced price, why not?
    Oh, I probably will. Lets see how they will develop this new older Superman or Superdad like some are calling him. I'm just not a fan of Lois Lane. Plus I prefer the angle of a more human Superman with less fantastic powers. I had the fortune of meeting Aaron Kuder this year at a comic convention and congratulate him on the best Superman I've ever read.