All-New Member

Default Laura Kinney, recommended reading.

I have just started reading All New Wolverine and want to read more of her story line. Considering I'm relatively new to comics, I was hoping to get some help on what collections I should get.

This thread is probably going to be moved to the X-Men forum. You should try asking here: http://community.comicbookresources....vory-to-steel/

The omnibus are coming out with most of her important stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/X-23-Complete-...&keywords=x-23

https://www.amazon.ca/X-23-Complete-...&keywords=x-23

Other than that.

NYX (the first series) and, her tenure on new X-men, and X-force are really the only other essentials.

Avengers Academy is worth checking out.

Also avoid All New X-men; if you are invested in the character, it will hurt you.

Timeline is:

X-23: Innocence Lost - X-23: Target X - NYX - tenure on Uncanny X-men (pointless skip) - tenure on New X-men - X-Force (2008 - 2010) - X-23 (2010 - 2012) - tenure on Avengers Academy - Avengers Arena - tenure on All new X-men (Bendis) (Logan legacy vignette taking place some time in here) - Logan Legacy Framing device - Wolverines - All New Wolverine
    Last edited by Nazrel; 05-31-2016 at 11:10 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDough View Post
    I have just started reading All New Wolverine and want to read more of her story line. Considering I'm relatively new to comics, I was hoping to get some help on what collections I should get.
    1. Captain Universe - X-23: #1
    2. Marvel Team-Up (vol. 3): #5-7, 25
    3. New X-Men: #20-44
    4. NYX - Wannabe: #1-7
    5. Uncanny X-Men: #450-460, 493-494
    6. X-23 - Innocence Lost: #1-6
    7. X-23 - Target X: #1-6
    8. X-Factor (vol. 3): #23, 25, 26
    9. X-Men (vol. 2): #65, 190, 202, 205, 206
    10. X-Men - Endangered Species: (crossover)
    11. X-Men - Messiah Complex: (crossover)

Last edited by ZNOP; 05-31-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Link(s) added.

BANNED

I'd say essentials would be:

Innocence Lost and Target: X, which combine to comprise her origin story.
    NYX is mostly a footnote these days, but it's significant as her first comics appearance. It gets referenced much more than her subsequent appearances in Uncanny (KYost seemed to have largely retconned out Claremont when they brought her into New X-Men)
    New X-Men and X-Force (Kyle and Yost) are significant as they were the first team books where she was a significant presence (she was a relatively minor character in Uncanny under Claremont)
    The Liu series also puts her through a lot of development that really shouldn't be missed. Except the babysitting arc. I've never disliked her as a PERSON so much. :-P
    All-New Wolverine sees her taking over the Wolverine mantle

Of the others:

Uncanny you can read if you really want to see everything, but as noted above these issues seem to have been largely retconned out, and rarely get mentioned in later stories. To be fair to Claremont she was still new to the books and didn't have much of a character yet, but his portrayal is pretty out there compared to the standard.

She doesn't get much to do in Avengers Academy, and it's clear the writer never knew what to do with her. She does get to shine a couple times, mainly by calling Logan out on his bullshit during AvX, inciting the Academy to help the X-kids escape because imprisoning them was unfair, and taking Emma to task when she came to destroy Juston's Sentinel.

Arena is...Tricky. She's actually quite well-written for most of it, barring one egregious Idiot Ball moment. It also sets up her status quo for when she turns up in Bendis' All-New X-Men. The rest of the series meets with mixed reactions at best.

All-New X-Men is completely skippable, unless you want to keep up on current events. Poorly utilized and characterized under both Bendis and Hopeless (which is odd considering Hopeless wrote her quite well in Arena).

Soule's work in the Logan Legacy and Wolverines runs the gamut. Her focus issue in the former was sweet, and the framing story illustrates why it was a TREMENDOUS missed opportunity that she and Sabretooth never met before Logan's death (Laura should have been like CATNIP for Creed. She's a woman, Logan's "daughter," AND actually had a good relationship with him). It's also where we really begin to see the setup for her taking up Wolverine's name after Secret Wars, while really helping to establish that she's becoming a full-on cape. Soule was ALSO setting up what could have been an awesome conflict between her and Mystique (long story short: She figured out how to identify Mystique even when disguised. Combined with her assassin and black ops skills, Laura could have made Mystique's life a living hell), unfortunately she got handed the Idiot Ball yet AGAIN so he could rush the ending of the last issue.

Most everything else was occasional issues here and there as part of crossovers or minor appearances.

Liu also did a one-shot that sort of follows up on NYX. It wasn't BIG but had some nice character work. There's also the Captain Universe one-shot.

I would say the absolute essentials are Innocence Lost, Target X, New X-Men, X-Force, and the X-23 solo series, in that order. As well as the death of Wolverine Logan's Legacy issue featuring Laura.

The rest is basically skippable. NYX features Laura as a supporting character and shows her time as a prostitute which is referenced in some of the other series, and I personally loved NYX but I don't think it's an absolute must read. She didn't get up to a whole lot on Avengers Academy, and her time in Arena is largely not memorable and added nothing to her character. Bendis's All New X-Men is also skippable trash. Wolverines featured Laura but it was a boring pointless series in my opinion and also can be skipped.

All-New Member

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Liu also did a one-shot that sort of follows up on NYX. It wasn't BIG but had some nice character work. There's also the Captain Universe one-shot.
    What was the title of that book? I don't seem to have that...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 05-31-2016 at 12:34 PM.

BANNED

The Liu one-shot is just titled X-23. I had to read it on Marvel Unlimited because it's not on Comixology last I looked for it.

BANNED

The Liu one-shot is just titled X-23. I had to read it on Marvel Unlimited because it's not on Comixology last I looked for it.
    Thanks I found it... It's part of the "Women of Marvel" One-Shots (2010)

Dazzler (One-Shot)
    Firestar #1 (2010)
    Galacta (Daughter of Galactus)
    Lady Deadpool (One-Shot)
    Namora (One-Shot)
    Rescue (2010)
    Sif #1 (2010)
    Spitfire #1 (2010)
    Valkyrie #1 (2010)
    X-23 (One Shot)

Everyone else has said pretty much everything you need to know about her major appearances. As for my thoughts on the whole Death of Wolverine thing, X-23's Logan Legacy issue (Logan Legacy 2) is well worth a read, and she also made a major appearence in Black Widow 11 around the same time that's at least worth a read. Besides Deadpool's issue in Wolverines (issue 13) which directly teases Laura becoming Wolverine, don't bother with that series. It might also be worth watching her two episodes of X-Men Evolution titled X-23 and Target X, which shouldn't be hard to stream online. Those are her first ever appearances.

She doesn't get much to do in Avengers Academy, and it's clear the writer never knew what to do with her. She does get to shine a couple times, mainly by calling Logan out on his bullshit during AvX, inciting the Academy to help the X-kids escape because imprisoning them was unfair, and taking Emma to task when she came to destroy Juston's Sentinel.
    I would say Laura's stuff in Avengers Academy during and after AVX is good, but she's such a minor and weirdly written character in her first few appearances that it's not really worth it.