Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Post-Crisis Superman Era Begins

Well, Superman died last week. I'll admit I read the DC Comics Universe Rebirth special to see what happened next, but I'm not buying tomorrow's Superman Rebirth #1 (And, going forward, I will think about it issue by issue, but I think it's a tough sell, especially on the Jon-dominated Superman title specifically). My Superman is gone.

Instead, I've got a small number of Marvel and Image subs, and am buying some back issues of Green Lantern and Green Arrow that went on sale to dig through.

What are you doing instead of buying SuperDad and SuperJon comics?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Well, Superman died last week. I'll admit I read the DC Comics Universe Rebirth special to see what happened next, but I'm not buying tomorrow's Superman Rebirth #1 (And, going forward, I will think about it issue by issue, but I think it's a tough sell, especially on the Jon-dominated Superman title specifically). My Superman is gone.

Instead, I've got a small number of Marvel and Image subs, and am buying some back issues of Green Lantern and Green Arrow that went on sale to dig through.

Darwyn Cooke's Parker books, Fantastic four Omnibus vol 3, several Image comics and tons of US independent/European/Japanese books. And SOLO Deluxe edition (I already have the whole series, but I like the collection).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

1) Enjoying what I already have which ranges from The Black Cauldron comic adaptation all the way to various Elseworlds.
    2) Enjoy some old TV show streamed (Young Justice, Superman: The Animated Series, Ruby Spears Superman, Max Fleischer Superman, etc.)
    3) The Essential Spider-Man

This is getting ridiculous. Wah wah wah Superdad ain't Superman! And what is the New 52 version? He's been around a mere five years and somehow he's the one true Superman? Really? Sorry dude, but just because this is the only version of the character you've liked, that doesn't mean Superman was created in 2011.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Wah wah wah Superdad ain't Superman! And what is the New 52 version? He's been around a mere five years and somehow he's the one true Superman? Really? Sorry dude, but just because this is the only version of the character you've liked, that doesn't mean Superman was created in 2011.
    Conspiracy Theory Time: All the anti-Superdad posts are actually by Superboy Prime using multiple aliases who feels threatened now that the version who beat him on various occasions is back and is doing everything in his power to make sure he goes away again. XD

18lpvg1z53uurjpg.jpg
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

*Sigh*

Look, I know there are fans not happy with the new status quo and I get it. But the highest-selling Superman comic last month only sold 38,000 copies, and I guarantee you at least half of that number are long-time readers who read Superman regardless.

There needed to be a change. They tried a few different things with N52 Superman, including a major shake-up in TRUTH, and none of it succeeded. I'm not saying this new direction will work, but I think it's fair to cease with the dramatics and give them a chance to see what they can do with the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    *Sigh*

Look, I know there are fans not happy with the new status quo and I get it. But the highest-selling Superman comic last month only sold 38,000 copies, and I guarantee you at least half of that number are long-time readers who read Superman regardless.

There needed to be a change. They tried a few different things with N52 Superman, including a major shake-up in TRUTH, and none of it succeeded. I'm not saying this new direction will work, but I think it's fair to cease with the dramatics and give them a chance to see what they can do with the scenario.
    Superman #50 sold over 90,000 copies. That was the big issue where Clark finally was back to his full self and beat the bad guy after suffering for almost a year with 4 separate monthly titles (Not counting the 2 Justice Leagues and various miniseries) of him powerless getting beat up mentally and physically, and losing his friends and such for the better part of the year. People paid to see him make his comeback, and then expected to see the various storyline potential of what happened during Truth play out now that Superman had his powers back. The next issue opens up with "I'm dying"- plus the news broke that he really was dying and SuperDad was going to be replacing him- and people got frustrated and bolted. What do you expect? DC Comics should have given him a fighting chance. At least hanged on to him with one book going forward. He was starting to sell and they killed his momentum.

If they absolutely had to replace him, though, they could have done another reboot and given us Superman #5, who could have had qualities from all the prior Supermen and some new ones of his own, and seen where they took him, or have been an R-rated truly edgy Superman, which they've never tried- or just morphed new52 Superman into that character, but they chose not to do that. They gave us a played out former Superman who's failure is what prompted the new52 in the first place, and decided he'd have a 10 year old superhero co-start as a very prominent part of that- something that was not selling well as a miniseries called Lois and Clark.

Even there, they could have done something like had him be the last refugee of his universe, with his Lois dead and no superkid, and a chip on his shoulder, to make it interesting. Instead they decided it was going to be a family comic about his superkid. No thanks.

Like I said, I am not saying I will never buy an issue of any SuperDad title ever, but I'm not subscribing and I know the early issues of the Superman title specifically are not going to be for me in terms of buying them anyway near day and date. The rest, we'll see. I feel like I know all I need to know to know I don't want to subscribe to the Superman title specifically, or buy the early issues. The rest, I am pretty close to that, but we'll see, maybe I'll find something I feel like dealing with. Could be Justice League or whatever, but even there, I'm feeling kind of meh right now.

DC Comics has not done a good job of telling we new52 Superman fans why we should want to read this. Everything that role out that they tell us should be a plus so far makes me cringe. I just do not want to read a cheesy superkid book.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    Given your avatar, I really shouldn't take your post seriously, considering that, as I'm sure you already know, Superman wasn't created in 1978 or 1986, either. But posters here have had to listen to fans of those versions bitch and moan about it, as if those versions should be exempt from changing with the times like all characters have to do to continue to survive.

Whether or not you were one of them doesn't really matter to me.

In response to the OP's post, I'm going to get back to my writing, read some quality novels and fan fiction and maybe dabble in a little more Marvel than I already am.
    Last edited by Will J.; 05-31-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Do we really need another thread about how a,small group of people who hate superdad are going to other publishers out of spite!?

As a counter question, if the Superdad and Superjon comics do well and stay around for years to come would that in turn make you read more competition out of an even greater spite? Or would you just give up on comics altogether? Just curious how this works.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    As a counter question, if the Superdad and Superjon comics do well and stay around for years to come would that in turn make you read more competition out of an even greater spite? Or would you just give up on comics altogether? Just curious how this works.
    Well, I am not a SuperDad hater, but I think that the answer - as far as I am concerned, at least - is simply: I am not really interested in what DC is doing at this point.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I understand the upset,but to call this the "post-superman" era is hyperbole. This guy is still a version of Superman. Therefore, its not a post Superman era. It's more appropriate to call it the "post-52 Superman" era.

While I don't want to complain about the complainers, I will say that to keep starting new threads to make the same point over and over is counter productive. Feel free to express yourself, but be mindful that there are many here that are turned off by the constant negativity. Many are forgiving and in a conciliatory mood now, but if the same people are still making new threads to state their displeasure over the current direction 6 months from now, that conciliatory understanding will wear thin, and those people who are doing the complaining will be no better than the bitter fanboys/girls who were still bitching and moaning about Nuperman 4 years into the run.

I guess what I'm trying to say is everyone be courteous and use your common sense for the next while. Put yourself in the other side's shoes before posting.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-31-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Do we really need another thread about how a,small group of people who hate superdad are going to other publishers out of spite!?

it is really tiresome create many threads to say that doesn't like superdad and that will drop the books. WE ALREADY KNOW THIS.

not even try and give up on superman to buy other publishers won't make anyone a better fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    it is really tiresome create many threads to say that doesn't like superdad and that will drop the books. WE ALREADY KNOW THIS.
    I'll stop when I've equaled the number of posts you've made about how you hate the Superman-Wonder Woman romance. Sound fair?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

What is this thread even about? I could delete all the drama and leave the posts about some of the new books, but that's not worth much.

I may be being suckered in by DC, but the outside chance that Nuperman comes back is keeping me intrigued. I can't say I'm excited about Superfam. I'm not even keen on the concept of Clark and Lois being able to procreate. I wish they were on Earth 2, so the fans of "this" Superman could get what they want too. The idea of the stories focusing the family aspect just isn't appealing IMO. It's not like with Batman where you don't see Damian in every book. Supes is going to put family first, so instead of stories about Supes it's going to revolve around the family dynamic.