Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    We all collect comics for different reasons. The point is not to criticize how I collect comics, but instead discuss the perception of quality with the books that I mentioned.
    Then what really is there to discuss?

You either have people who overall like the titles you seem to dislike or you have people who dont like those titles who like some of the other titles that you refuse to read.

Overall I disagree with you,. I think there is plenty of titles that are worth reading and in no way any worse of then a couple of years ago.
    And it is really hard not to criticize the way you collect comics when you say you dont actually like the comics you buy. Its been said by others here to but I am going to repeat it: The only way to change things is voting with your dollar. (Or for those of us from other countries with whatever currency you use).

I will overall say that to my taste what Marvel is putting out now is not the best they have ever been, but far from the worst either.
    Overall I will take the current output over large parts of the 90s for most titles like Spider-man.
    Last edited by Bor; 06-01-2016 at 05:46 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Just my O, but I think Bunn is much more flagship-worthy than Lemire.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

What I read:
    Ultimates- the only Avengers-related title I like
    Vision- the best thing Marvel publishes right now. I like the horror aspect of the title more than the character.
    Captain Marvel/Black Widow/Scarlet Witch- my three favorite Avenger ladies all have solo titles right now. I like them all.
    Silver Surfer- this title sucks. I just read it because of my traditional love of the character.
    Doctor Strange

All Avengers titles are a step down from what they were before Secret Wars. All X-titles suck.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Just my O, but I think Bunn is much more flagship-worthy than Lemire.
    Lemire goes to the writer retreats and is an exclusive creator for Marvel. Cullen Bunn is not.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Then what really is there to discuss?

You either have people who overall like the titles you seem to dislike or you have people who dont like those titles who like some of the other titles that you refuse to read.

Overall I disagree with you,. I think there is plenty of titles that are worth reading and in no way any worse of then a couple of years ago.
    And it is really hard not to criticize the way you collect comics when you say you dont actually like the comics you buy. Its been said by others here to but I am going to repeat it: The only way to change things is voting with your dollar. (Or for those of us from other countries with whatever currency you use).

I will overall say that to my taste what Marvel is putting out now is not the best they have ever been, but far from the worst either.
    Overall I will take the current output over large parts of the 90s for most titles like Spider-man.
    Actually I agree with your sentiment, but not in the way you all claim. I want Marvel to return to long-numbered series and stop publishing the lesser titles. If those titles are good, I want that quality transferred to the books I actually want to read. The fact that I refuse to buy the secondary books is voting with my dollar. I want them to be cancelled so that Marvel focuses on their top books. The whole concept of publishing only Amazing Spider-Man instead of Spectacular, Web of, and adjectiveless was MY idea, expressed on these forums years before they started doing it. The reason Marvel double-ships is because of readers like me who want only the most popular characters and if they want more of my money they need only ship those series more often. So yes, I am voting with my dollar, just not in the same way you all are.

DC has just done with rebirth exactly what I want - a smaller number of series, published more frequently, tighter continuity, and returning Action/Detective to original numbering. I want to see Marvel do that.
    Last edited by randomengine; 06-01-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

BANNED

I see most of you didn't get the point.

Yes, I do get the longest running series. They tend to have the best art and best writing. I have been reading comics more than a couple of years, so I do understand that crisis are manufactured, but Civil War II is especially egregious. The original Civil War made sense in a way and came organically from what came before. This time we have an Inhuman created for the sole purpose of creating a problem.

My point is that Marvel's biggest books, the ones that stick around and don't get cancelled due to low sales, are not very good today as they have in the past. Greg Pak's original run on Hulk was legendary, this one is off to a ehhhhhhhhhh start. Waid's Avengers is all over the damn place in terms of quality. Extraordinary X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man are probably the best and most consistent. Uncanny X-Men is not the flagship X-Men book, I don't care if it has the name. They wouldn't give the flagship book to Cullen Bunn, the human comic-writing sweatshop, nor fill the roster of their flagship book with so many secondary and tertiary X-Men.

I follow the long-running series, that's what I do. I will not buy any series that won't last decades in a linear fashion (I have been daisy-chaining series together as Marvel keeps relaunching). That's not what I want to make this thread about. This thread is about why the best-of-the-best, the books Marvel puts all their best creative on and revolve their line around, why those books just aren't as good today as they have been in the past.
    All the bolded statements are either flat out wrong (the original CW has long been criticized as being a forced event with very little organic about it) or completely subjective. If you don't think the books you're collecting are as good as they have been in the past, that's your own very valid opinion but it is not a fact and it is not an opinion shared by everyone.

If your thread depends on everyone across the board accepting the notion that these books are not good and sticking to discussing why that is, then don't be surprised when people tell you your thread topic has a faulty base. Is every one of these current runs the best these books have ever seen? No. But are they very good in their own right and substantially better than many of the runs that they've had in the past. Yes, I think so. I'm liking Bendis' IM run more than any IM run since Busiek's post-Heroes Reborn IM, for example. And Aaron's Thor is one my current favorites and definitely one of the best Thor runs ever, in my opinion.

It's not wrong not to like something but it is wrong to assume that just because you don't like that it must be bad. I think a lot of the comics you're currently collecting are great. If they're not for you, that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    All the bolded statements are either flat out wrong (the original CW has long been criticized as being a forced event with very little organic about it) or completely subjective. If you don't think the books you're collecting are as good as they have been in the past, that's your own very valid opinion but it is not a fact and it is not an opinion shared by everyone.

If your thread depends on everyone across the board accepting the notion that these books are not good and sticking to discussing why that is, then don't be surprised when people tell you your thread topic has a faulty base. Is every one of these current runs the best these books have ever seen? No. But are they very good in their own right and substantially better than many of the runs that they've had in the past. Yes, I think so. I'm liking Bendis' IM run more than any IM run since Busiek's post-Heroes Reborn IM, for example. And Aaron's Thor is one my current favorites and definitely one of the best Thor runs ever, in my opinion.

It's not wrong not to like something but it is wrong to assume that just because you don't like that it must be bad. I think a lot of the comics you're currently collecting are great. If they're not for you, that's ok.
    Well, the whole point was to see if I was just stuck in a rut and not seeing the quality in the titles I am collecting or Marvel has actually been not very good lately.
    Pull List

I get:

Ultimates
    Black Panther
    Ms. Marvel
    Powerman and Iron Fist
    Nighthawk
    Spider-Man
    Miracleman

All of them are great.

I recently dropped CA: Sam Wilson, didn't pick up CA: Steve Rogers, ANAD Avengers (but I may pick it up again), New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, All New Inhumans, and Uncanny Inhumans.

Honestly, the "big" books as you call it have been the least interesting books since the relaunch.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 06-01-2016 at 06:29 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

To the person that say Wolverine should be in the list, you are correct, except for the fact that Fantastic Four characters are now split between two titles, so Wolverine had to go (I cap myself at 10 titles per major publisher - 10 Marvel and 10 DC).
    Pull List

BANNED

I want Marvel to return to long-numbered series and stop publishing the lesser titles. If those titles are good, I want that quality transferred to the books I actually want to read. The fact that I refuse to buy the secondary books is voting with my dollar. I want them to be cancelled so that Marvel focuses on their top books. The whole concept of publishing only Amazing Spider-Man instead of Spectacular, Web of, and adjectiveless was MY idea, expressed on these forums years before they started doing it. The reason Marvel double-ships is because of readers like me who want only the most popular characters and if they want more of my money they need only ship those series more often. So yes, I am voting with my dollar, just not in the same way you all are.

DC has just done with rebirth exactly what I want - a smaller number of series, published more frequently, tighter continuity, and returning Action/Detective to original numbering. I want to see Marvel do that.
    1) I don't care about long-running series. The number of the issue on the cover means nothing to me.

2) I don't want Marvel to stop publishing "lesser titles". Some of those "lesser titles" (books like Power Man & Iron Fist) are often some of my favorites. Having everything be all A-listers would make for a very boring publishing slate.

3) Are you really taking credit for the fact that Marvel stopped publishing the satellite Spidey books? ("The whole concept of publishing only Amazing Spider-Man instead of Spectacular, Web of, and adjectiveless was MY idea")

4) Marvel double-ships many titles, not just the top sellers.

5) Seeing as Rebirth has JUST STARTED, it might be way too soon to say they're giving you exactly what you want. Those double-shipping books may not be double-shipping for long and "tighter continuity" sure isn't something I would bank on long term. And returning Action/Detective to their original numbering...again, for most fans the number of the issue is not such a big deal. If ASM suddenly started picking up from its original numbering for example, it would have zero impact on how I felt about the book one way or the other.

None of your suggestions reflect how I feel or mirror what I want Marvel to be doing. Actually, I'd say it's pretty much the opposite. If you feel DC is giving you what you want, that's fair. Just buy DC.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Lemire goes to the writer retreats and is an exclusive creator for Marvel. Cullen Bunn is not.
    Yeah, none of which should matter, imo. And those retreats gotta end.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Without going over some of the points already made. I'll say this the longer ANAD has gone on the less titles I'm actually picking up.

I started trying to get as many as possible to try and find the wood in the trees and knowing a lot would fall by the wayside. But it's been a lot more than I thought, I'm reading maybe six titles at most now and I have to say despite quite a lot of people recommending it on this thread Dr Strange is no longer one of them and nor is Iron Man which I've suffered through some pretty poor runs in the past but have given up on.

So for me even though I'm not interested in Civil War II itself I am actually quite looking forward to the reshuffle afterwards this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    1) I don't care about long-running series. The number of the issue on the cover means nothing to me.

2) I don't want Marvel to stop publishing "lesser titles". Some of those "lesser titles" (books like Power Man & Iron Fist) are often some of my favorites. Having everything be all A-listers would make for a very boring publishing slate.

3) Are you really taking credit for the fact that Marvel stopped publishing the satellite Spidey books? ("The whole concept of publishing only Amazing Spider-Man instead of Spectacular, Web of, and adjectiveless was MY idea")

4) Marvel double-ships many titles, not just the top sellers.

5) Seeing as Rebirth has JUST STARTED, it might be way too soon to say they're giving you exactly what you want. Those double-shipping books may not be double-shipping for long and "tighter continuity" sure isn't something I would bank on long term. And returning Action/Detective to their original numbering...again, for most fans the number of the issue is not such a big deal. If ASM suddenly started picking up from its original numbering for example, it would have zero impact on how I felt about the book one way or the other.

None of your suggestions reflect how I feel or mirror what I want Marvel to be doing. Actually, I'd say it's pretty much the opposite. If you feel DC is giving you what you want, that's fair. Just buy DC.
    How funny that I should only vote with my money when it aligns with your preferences. No, thanks. I will continue doing what I do. And yes, I do take credit for Spider-Man publishing the way it is today. I complained about it for years, very vocally and I said "Marvel do this if you want more money." It took them a while, but Amazing is now a consistent seller above what the sister titles would have brought in. DC is following suit in Rebirth and I am very happy about that.
    Last edited by randomengine; 06-01-2016 at 06:51 AM.
    Pull List

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    Without going over some of the points already made. I'll say this the longer ANAD has gone on the less titles I'm actually picking up.

I started trying to get as many as possible to try and find the wood in the trees and knowing a lot would fall by the wayside. But it's been a lot more than I thought, I'm reading maybe six titles at most now and I have to say despite quite a lot of people recommending it on this thread Dr Strange is no longer one of them and nor is Iron Man which I've suffered through some pretty poor runs in the past but have given up on.

So for me even though I'm not interested in Civil War II itself I am actually quite looking forward to the reshuffle afterwards this time.
    Yeah Iron Man is becoming quite poor. That's what happens when Marvel wants to publish two titles instead of one for the same character, the story gets spread thin. It started off well enough, but now is very boring focusing on War Machine and Spider-Man and Mary Jane. My favorite recent run was actually the Gillen/Land run. It had a lot of very interesting ideas.
    Pull List

Marvel hasn't been doing it for me for some time now. They started to completely lose me right after Avengers vs. X-Men. Not because I didn't like Avengers vs X-Men. Just because all of the character switchups and all that nonsense.

Also I'm a very big Spider-Man fan and the line has completely lost what it used to be. Still buy ASM but its not very good in my opinion. Instead of being grounded there was the whole Spider-Verse story, Superior (which wasn't horrible but just saying how long there hasn't been a grounded Spider-Man in). Miss the whole aspect with Peter's personal life.

I try number 1's and read spoilers from time to time on books but I just don't like where Marvel goes with its plots lately. I'm connected to characters and they've just been destroying all of theirs IMO. Clearly some people enjoying the series but I'm just finding everything to be a joke.