Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anyone else worried about the kid?

I am glad that Pre-Flashpoint Superman is coming back. I agree with Geoff Johns that many of the emotional ties that bound the characters together were lost in the New 52. But Lois and Clark having a kid?

I'm not outright against it, just nervous. Wally West having kids was a disaster, and though I've never read him, I've heard nothing but whining about Franklin Richards. The only Superhero kid that seems to have worked is Daimen.

Won't Johnathan's existence just add fuel to the fire of all the people who said that these main characters shouldn't be married?

I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of this whole mess the kid is the only thing left standing

I dunno. I think he probably has a better chance of going over than Superdad himself does, actually. He's at least new and potentially interesting unlike his parents.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-31-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I just think this is typical DC, especially in regards to Superman. They don't know what to do with the character, so when the New 52 didn't work they said, fine we'll give them back their old Superman, but they couldn't help but mess with things.

In trying to give the fans what they want, I worry they will alienate new 52 fans, while not actually giving the Pre-Flashpoint fans what they were asking for.

They are doing this stunt about 10 years too late. I HAVE the feeling that in the end you'd be right; Neither fan base is going get what they want. I think it was Supercrab who said that the real objective of bringing post crisis Superman back was to insert Jon into current continuity. And that when that mission was accomplished Superdad wouldn't have reason to exist. I'm having the feeling that assertion is not completely without merit. And yes I'm convince New 52 Supes is comic back sooner that we thought

I think the buzz is pretty good in general. The story potential is off the charts.

Superman hasn't been the older version of Superboy since what 1985? So this is a pretty great way to put him in Legion instead of his dad. The mini Worlds Finest with Damian, Teen Titans is an option as well as a solo Superboy book, and that's all just him on his own.

The family dynamic is really interesting as well and opens up a lot of unexplored story ideas for Clark and Lois. How do they want to raise him as far as school, superhero training, cute Christmas issues, deciding between being Superman and a dad, how does Lois balance her career with being a mom now?

I think just the fact that it's so unexplored gives any writer lots of places to go.

But this kid's existence is an affront to those who still consider Conner Kent/Kon-El "Superboy." Personally, I could care less about a book featuring a 13-year old Damian Wayne and a 10-year old Jon Kent/White.

But what do I know. Perhaps there's a huge market out there for books of this sort. I'm just not part of the target audience.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think the buzz is pretty good in general. The story potential is off the charts.

Superman hasn't been the older version of Superboy since what 1985? So this is a pretty great way to put him in Legion instead of his dad. The mini Worlds Finest with Damian, Teen Titans is an option as well as a solo Superboy book, and that's all just him on his own.

The family dynamic is really interesting as well and opens up a lot of unexplored story ideas for Clark and Lois. How do they want to raise him as far as school, superhero training, cute Christmas issues, deciding between being Superman and a dad, how does Lois balance her career with being a mom now?

I think just the fact that it's so unexplored gives any writer lots of places to go.

I completely agree.

I've been reading Tomasi's Batman and Robin to understand what I might be getting, and I'm pleased to say the book was actually really good. Like genuinely really good.

One of the cooler aspects of it was the humanizing of Bruce by way of Damian. The book read, felt, and looked like the coolest animated show I'd never seen. The arcs were short but sweet. The issues were packed to the brim with content. I'm pretty mad I didn't pick it up at the start of the new 52. Issue 15 where it's nothing but them sleeping makes me think I might get my Clark reading Jon bedtime stories for a whole issue idea. I'm actually even more into the idea because they could use this as a way to give us more past Superman stories but filtered as fairy tales for a boy going to sleep. The art could even be completely based off how Jon interpreters Clark's words. Gleason's art is great.

Honestly I think if they get to the same core of Batman and Robin (they've said that's what their aiming for) then I think Jon, Clark, and Lois will be in a pretty good spot.

Except that the appeal of BATMAN AND ROBIN lies in the very fact that that series dealt with two dark, damaged characters who had so much to overcome in order to form an interesting yet genuine father and son bond.

We don't have that in the Superfam at least as it was presented in LOIS AND CLARK.

And Tomasi and Gleason indeed excelled in BATMAN AND ROBIN and they took those stories to great highs and lows and highs again from Bruce and Damian's struggle to adjust to being in each other's lives, Damian proving himself to be more of a Wayne than an al Ghul by, among other things, finding Martha's missing pearls for Bruce. Then in the denouement of the series, we saw Damian's death and Bruce's willingness to go to hell and back to resurrect Damian.

Superfam (at least for now) does not have those obstacles and it's highly unlikely that the Wayne darkness exists in the Kent/White family. Absent that, where's the story? Cutesy father and son superpower training scenes? Superdad and Superson do not have the built-in in-character differences that make for great conflict and story. I'd go so far to say as Tomasi and Gleason will not be able to recreate that BATMAN AND ROBIN magic simply because of how fundamentally different the Waynes are compared to the Kents/Whites.

I'm a Kon-El fan but don't really consider Jon an affront because Johns ruined him years ago. Well before the New 52. He never really recovered, so he needs a break. I have a far less problem with the kid than I do the replacement factor going on with his dad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Except that the appeal of BATMAN AND ROBIN lies in the very fact that that series dealt with two dark, damaged characters who had so much to overcome in order to form an interesting yet genuine father and son bond.

We don't have that in the Superfam at least as it was presented in LOIS AND CLARK.

And Tomasi and Gleason indeed excelled in BATMAN AND ROBIN and they took those stories to great highs and lows and highs again from Bruce and Damian's struggle to adjust to being in each other's lives, Damian proving himself to be more of a Wayne than an al Ghul by, among other things, finding Martha's missing pearls for Bruce. Then in the denouement of the series, we saw Damian's death and Bruce's willingness to go to hell and back to resurrect Damian.

Superfam (at least for now) does not have those obstacles and it's highly unlikely that the Wayne darkness exists in the Kent/White family. Absent that, where's the story? Cutesy father and son superpower training scenes? Superdad and Superson do not have the built-in in-character differences that make for great conflict and story. I'd go so far to say as Tomasi and Gleason will not be able to recreate that BATMAN AND ROBIN magic simply because of how fundamentally different the Waynes are compared to the Kents/Whites.
    I wanna stress that I said CORE of what Batman and Robin had. That CORE is just the relationship of a father and son taking center stage. Tomasi and Gleason did this so well. Some stories were almost devoid of real action, so strong in character that it didn't matter.

Fear not, they'd address the contrast between Superman and Batman and Robin, and they've promised to lean into the strengths that would suit this book.

They seem to have more than a few possible conflicts lined up. I wonder how powers and learning you the son of Superman changes a 10 year old boy's world view? I wonder how Lois feels being the "odd man out" so to speak. Maybe a part of her sort of wanted Jon to be a normal little boy. Imagination is the name of the game, and it didn't even take much at all to come up with that.

But honestly I think it was all in how Tomasi and Gleason went about expressing the conflicts in Batman and Robin. If it were something that transcended the writing the no one would've hated Damain in Morrison's Batman and son arc. Batman and Robin actually retread over some of the points in that arc, but this time with a more character focused pen.

So again, I'd imagine they could work out something pretty good if the core of family is at the crux of it all like Batman and Robin.

BANNED

But this kid's existence is an affront to those who still consider Conner Kent/Kon-El "Superboy." Personally, I could care less about a book featuring a 13-year old Damian Wayne and a 10-year old Jon Kent/White.

But what do I know. Perhaps there's a huge market out there for books of this sort. I'm just not part of the target audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm a Kon-El fan but don't really consider Jon an affront because Johns ruined him years ago. Well before the New 52. He never really recovered, so he needs a break. I have a far less problem with the kid than I do the replacement factor going on with his dad.

Im a HUGE kon-el fan and i am not hating on the kid at all,and i wont.

The only thing im mad about is that nuperman,JL3000,jon,and kenan kong all have used facets of kons past to create them,and DC wont give kon credit for that,plus think having kon at the same time would be to many superboys.

As a kon fan ive been waiting for a way to "gradute" the character,and jon is the perfect way to do it.i dont want kon to be superboy anymore,i want him called SCION,i want his "nightwing" moment.the skies the limit for kon.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of this whole mess the kid is the only thing left standing
    I think the same.. The child will be better than the father.

This is not the same of this?:

http://community.comicbookresources....-but-Jon-flops
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-01-2016 at 06:17 AM.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having a child. The amount of stories that it gives is endless. I like stories were legends train the next generation. If you don't like it, that's cool.

Conner can always come back later. He's due for a new moniker anyway ala Dick, Tim, Donna and others did. Further expanding the Superman family. both characters can easily (and should) exist.